Hand Held Video Recorder w/aux input

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Does anyone know of a handheld video recorder (like the Zoom) that has an aux input so that I can record myself playing along to an Mp3? The Zoom itself is a great unit for the money but for the life of me I can't see why they would choose not to include the aux input.

I have a Zoom H2 audio only recorder and it has one. I use it with external mics and my ipod run into a small mixing board, then send that signal to the recorder. I was hoping to upgrade this setup to include video without breaking the bank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff, I have a Q3HD right next to me, & it has a 3.2mm (1/8") jack input.

I know, unfortunately, that model has been discontinued. The new one has no aux.

I should check eBay

Last edited:
Break the bank, Jeff! Everybody's doing it!

;)

I love it!

My bank is going to need a few months to recover after I accept delivery of my new Guru kit next month though. Not to mention the new hardware and obligatory new cymbals.

I just put in a bid on a mint condition Q3HD on ebay.

I know, unfortunately, that model has been discontinued. The new one has no aux.
Really? I had no idea the one I have has been replaced. Is it no longer called the Q3HD? Anyhow, it seems to make little sense to bring out a new (& supposedly better) model yet reduce features. Strange logic. What does the latest generation bring to the party?

Edit: I just checked the latest Q3HD adverts, & they all look the same as mine, & it has a line in jack. Are we talking about the same function Jeff?

Really? I had no idea the one I have has been replaced. Is it no longer called the Q3HD? Anyhow, it seems to make little sense to bring out a new (& supposedly better) model yet reduce features. Strange logic. What does the latest generation bring to the party?

Edit: I just checked the latest Q3HD adverts, & they all look the same as mine, & it has a line in jack. Are we talking about the same function Jeff?

Yes, it's discontinued.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q3HD

The newer model is $100.00 cheaper and is called the Q2HD (just so we can all get a little more confused). This newer model does not have the aux

On mine if you use the inline jack, the mics are cut off. I was trying to record my drums through the mics and have the music input but no can do.

this page from Zoom, shows the 2 and the 3.??

http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/handheld-video-recorders/

Yes, if you use an aux jack that happens. Typically you would send external mics and your MP3 player signals through a mixer. The mixer outputs go through a Y dual mono-stereo cable into the Zoom. The mixer also has headphone outputs, of course.

The Samson site shows the 3 but no one sells it anymore except some guys on ebay.

Some auxillary inputs are microphone level and some are line level. Make sure you get the one that you need. If you're going to plug a microphone directly into it, it has to be an aux microphone level input. If you're connecting a mixer or other high level device, it has to be a line level input. Some of the better hand held audio recorders have a selectable gain that is switchable in the menu. I'm not very familiar with the combo video/audio recorders that might be out there, unless we're talking pro equipment such as ENG (electronic news gathering) or field production.

Dennis

Back