Drum Heads

xb2003

Hey,
Ive looked through a lot of this website, and i still have a couple questions, and i need advise. I had to rewrite all this, becuase i wasnt logged in when i hit submit...nice. Thanks for any help you can give.

1. I need to buy a complete set of heads for my drumset, excluding the Basses. I have a set of Pearl Export, 14x5 Snare, and 8, 10, 12, 13, 16, and 18 inch toms. I really am looking for a good SNAP on the snare, and just the....beefy?(that maybe a bad word)...sound you hear from what seems to be a lot of toms. I play rock, and hard rock, but my drums need to sound good all around, if possible. But the drums need to sound good in general, if thats possible. I was thinking about buying Evans G2s for the batters, and G1s for the Resos. But im totally lost on the snare. Ive had a really hard time trying to decipher all these drum terms, becuase everybody gives a different deffinition, and uses them differently. Right now, ive got Pinstripes on all the batters(including snare), and Pearl Factory heads on the resos. The havent been replaced in at least 4 years, and my pockets are deep enough to do it now. But, at the end of the day, im more looking for a decent sounding drumset, over all else.

2. My drums sit in about a 12'x20' room, with no soft surface besides carpet. Is there anything i can do, besides move the drums, that would calm it down just a little bit. Keep the sound from bouncing around so long. Would that foam that you see in studios work?

3. Ive got a set of Pearl Marching Tenors, 8, 10, 12,13 inch. What would be a good set of heads for those. They need to project outdoors, and not break easily.

Thanks again, for any help you might be able to give.
\->XB2003<-/

I've always thought a 2 ply batter over a 1 ply reso a good choice. I'd even recommend it for the snare.

Foam or even some blankets will help deaden your practice room.

Never played tenors. Can't help you there.

What do you think about Ebony's for the batter heads? have you had any expirence. Heck i dont even know if they are single ply or double.

+1 on the 2 ply over single ply. Not Pinstripes, though, or anything else with built in deadening around the collar because that's deadening you can't remove.

I've played Emperors (or G2s) as batters and Ambassadors (or G1s) as resos for as long as I can remember. Usually coated on the batters and clears on the resos but I've done clear top and bottom and am currently using coated top and bottom. There really isn't a situation where this combo doesn't work, although some players prefer a single-ply on the batters.

Snare heads are usually thinner than tom heads, but not always. A common standard snare head combo is a Coated Ambassador batter, Ambassador Snare Side on the "reso" side. An Amb is a single ply, and the Amb Snare Side is an even thinner single ply. Most people want thinner snare heads so you get snare response and volume.

Sorry I don't know the Evans equivalents.

Back