This is not a goodbye thread

I just don't like the fact that we have to pay copius amounts of money just so that we can be part of a silly little club that makes up all of our laws for us. Why can't we just run our own country? It's not as if we're even part of mainland europe, we still need a passport to travel over there.

So which laws have they made for us, Eddie?

Well they haven't exactly MADE the laws but the point is they might as well have done, like all this health and safety bs. I know how to use a ladder!!! Anyway what the hell is this? Question time? I'm allowed to not like the EU if i want, tyvm.

If you're going to rant and complain about something, have a basis for it. I won't say I hate the politics of Ghana, because I know nothing about it. Likewise, it seems you actually know very little about the EU.

actually, that's not quite true. We do have a similar thing (in principal) on the BBC and ITV where they have to show something like 10 or 15% regional content like look north and the local politics show and stuff.

Yea, I know, I study TV and radio at uni. They have to fulfill things like so much religion programming, education etc. But with the digital switch over a lot of this will probably be going.

If you're going to rant and complain about something, have a basis for it. I won't say I hate the politics of Ghana, because I know nothing about it. Likewise, it seems you actually know very little about the EU.

That's a terrible example because the politics of Ghana has very little to do with me. What goes on in the EU is paid for by me and you as taxpayers and it affects many aspects of our everyday lives so that's why i think i'm allowed to have an opinion on it, regardless of what you might think i do or do not know about the subject.

That's a terrible example because the politics of Ghana has very little to do with me. What goes on in the EU is paid for by me and you as taxpayers and it affects many aspects of our everyday lives so that's why i think i'm allowed to have an opinion on it, regardless of what you might think i do or do not know about the subject.

You are entitled to an opinion, but all opinions should be justified. So far I've seen no justification other than uninformed ranting.

Do you want to see any justification? I already said my reasons didn't i, but you seem to still think i know nothing about it.

Because I've seen no fact, no basis and absolutely no specific knowledge. Just 'oh, I don't like the EU - they make our laws' (which they don't, and I called you on).

The worst thing about this exchange is that people forming opinions on hearsay (which is essentially what your opinion amounts to) is the very reason people vote for the BNP - who we both dislike - get votes. Uninformed opinions. Sure, a few people vote for them because they believe the rubbish they spout, but the vast majority just haven't done their research. The same is true of you.

Can you guys stop arguing about the EU? Don't you know it's just one phase of implementing a new world order involving The Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders who form a group known as the Pentavirate?

Because I've seen no fact, no basis and absolutely no specific knowledge. Just 'oh, I don't like the EU - they make our laws' (which they don't, and I called you on).

The worst thing about this exchange is that people forming opinions on hearsay (which is essentially what your opinion amounts to) is the very reason people vote for the BNP - who we both dislike - get votes. Uninformed opinions. Sure, a few people vote for them because they believe the rubbish they spout, but the vast majority just haven't done their research. The same is true of you.

Hang on just a minute mate, i'm not saying we should deport/murder all non-whites. I just think we should stop wasting our time in the EU. It just doesn't work and it needs to be changed.

If we want to start talking about laws being formed on hearsay and improper information then what about the fact that the EU wants to force all the farmers to not use any sort of GM crops or fertilizers because of people who don't understand how science works. This means that we'll probably end up with a food shortage not too long from now.

Hang on just a minute mate, i'm not saying we should deport/murder all non-whites. I just think we should stop wasting our time in the EU. It just doesn't work and it needs to be changed.

I never said you did, but the opinion forming process is the same. Lack of information - uninformed opinion - potential for dodgy parties to get through. Plus to change something you have to be involved with it.

...what about the fact that the EU wants to force all the farmers to not use any sort of GM crops or fertilizers because of people who don't understand how science works. This means that we'll probably end up with a food shortage not too long from now.

That's more like it. An actual example.

Sorry for the late response. Back to CanCon - if anyone is still interested...

You all make an excellent point in regards to the fact that there's a lot of lame Canadian music being put on the air just to fill this 30% quota. However, It's my opinion that radio is downright polluted with crap regardless of where the music came from in the first place.

Obviously this is a matter of personal taste but once you've sifted through it all, you're likely to come across some excellent bands (who may not have gotten the proper exposure without CanCon). Here's a few of my favourites:

I Mother Earth
Our Lady Peace
Matthew Good Band

**Please take this time to ridicule me for being a total Alt.Rock kid.**

CanCon helps the Canadian Musician by providing job opportunities with Canadian acts - sessions, tours - there's no question.

It also helps fuel our economy. Say Alexisonfire needs to shoot a new video for MuchMusic. Suddenly an entire film crew, actors, caterers, hairdressers are all in buisiness and getting paid.

How about when someone throws a festival. Rather than fishing for an international supergroup to headline, oftentimes they will opt for the local stars. (Of coarse this isn't always the case - anyone remember the fiasco at V-fest last year? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLLQ8UnCqM )
These guys are available, way easier to obtain and thanks to CanCon, have a fanbase capable of selling out the joint. The festival is a success! T-shirts and CDs are sold, Pizza Pizza is eaten, Molson Candian is excessively consumed even at the outrageous price of 9 dollars a tallcan. Best of all, everyone has an awesome time singing and dancing along to thier favourite songs whether it's The Boss Is Coming, Bobcaygeon, Life Is A Highway or even American Woman.

Tell me again why you think this law is so stupid. You don't like Kim Mitchell? Fine, go for a soda next time Patio Lanterns comes on. CanCon is great because it gives us a better chace at living the dream - playing the big stage. After all, isn't that dream the reason why most of us took up the drums in the first place?

Can you guys stop arguing about the EU? Don't you know it's just one phase of implementing a new world order involving The Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders who form a group known as the Pentavirate?

"Why the colonel, dad?"

"Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it nightly ya SMARTASS!"

Normally I wouldn't do this (make a statement of returning here) but since I started this thread, I figured I might as well say so, since I abandoned my own thread...

CanCon is stupid. It only benifits one kind of music (though I always liked Our Lady Peace) and more often than not it's the ones who don't need it. Like Anne Murray. Or Rush (ugh)*. CanCon helps the Canadian ALT ROCK musician, that sounds a certain way. More often than not that certain way is TERRIBLE. Or it's Burton Cumings. It's like SOCAN, it does nothing for you unless you're already partially famous (not I did not say 'good') If a band is good enough (to the people, not skill wise), they will get noticed. Any of you Canadians know Big Sugar? How famous did they get? Not very, but they should have, they are fantastic and along with the Headstones (how much did CanCon help them?) are my 2 favourite Canadian bands. But they did not sound like something 'the people' would latch on to, so therefore, minimal support. Hugh Dillion has said as much as has Gordie Johnson. Any success they had, they MADE.

In theory, CanCon (it's an actual term, yeah:) is good, but in theory, so is communism. Problem is that in the end, only one group of people benifit and if you are 'like them', you don't. It might give you a CHANCE of living the dream, it might give you hope, but unless you sound like the others, forget it. If you do, well done and good luck.

Kim Mitchell? Ha ha, that's funny. I just couldn't deal with that guy. Doesn't mean I don't KNOW all these songs (thanks to ConCan), I just hate them.

CanCon is the musical manifestation of Canada's fear of becoming American.

Uh, so anyway,

GB

*One of the best things about living here, hardly anyone knows them=)

On the other hand, it can be hard for bands to break into any kind of public airplay without a little extra push from the commercial sector. CanCon could provide that opportunity - but like you say, if it's used in the 'wrong' way then it provides no service whatsoever.

How many of you have heard of Merzbow? There might be one, or maybe two hands go up. Believe me when I say he is one of the most influential and important musicians of the last fifty years - but does he get airplay? No. Why? Because he's a noise musician. Check out the album Frog+ for some of his slightly more recent output, or the piece 'Birds and Warhorse'. In the academic field, however, he is referenced as entire chapters of books ('Noise/Music: A History' by Paul Hegarty has a whole chapter on him). Either way, the fact that he doesn't get any kind of airplay honestly doesn't matter. Why? Because his music is good enough anyway to make the kind of statement he wants to make.

Should he have airplay, however? Well, yes. In part of an environment with a public remit, challenging artists really should have airtime. Why is it that outlets constantly pander to the lowest common denominator, forced pop acts? I can't tell the difference between some of the music ten years ago and some of the music now - and I was brought up in the 1990's, so I should be able to! CanCon serves only the backward-looking market and in no way (that I can see) serves to progress music, or even to serve music; just the owners of commercial stations who have people listen in because they 'feel they should listen to Canadian music' - even if it's total rubbish.

So, why not challenge? Because they're concerned about losing advertising revenue. It doesn't serve music at all. The solution? Ignore the radio and TV completely and go and find other methods to listen. I go into Oxfam on a weekly basis and buy Vinyl because it gives me something to listen to and to branch out into (as well as great material for acousmatic experiments), I check out free downloads on bleep.com and I go trawling through Amazon for interesting-sounding acts.

Oh, and I take up new instruments. That gives me a totally different perspective on listening. I suggest many of you stop being so drummer-centric.

Never been to Canada or England, perhaps you can move to Australia so I can offer an opinion?

Back