Was 2013 a good or bad year for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrbluesky

So after having the worst year of my life so far, to many things to mention on here. I am quiourios to see was the "2013" an unlucky number for any of you guys this year or was it just me!!!..

Last edited:
Re: Was 2013 a good or bad year for you!!!!

Good year for me, albeit tough at times. Had my first wedding anniversary, will finish school next week, got a new dog, new place to live that is far superior to my old place and it has a drum room for me, and found myself a vintage Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit with some vintage cymbals and a Rogers Dyna-sonic snare and cases at a garage sale for $125.

Don't sweat the small stuff, things will get better. At least you are still above ground, and nothing is more important than that.

An ok year overall. No tremendous changes except I had a handful of gigs - which isn't hard considering I started gigging (bassist/guitarist so far) 1.25 yrs ago, at age 38, haha (40 now). There's enough things that could be better but honestly, most of this is up to me.

The coolest moments/personal highlights in 2013 for me?
- Performing with a symphonic youth orchestra in January - 2 gigs where I played the el. guitar (with the keys player being the only 2 guys playing non-acoustic instruments) on a "Once Upon A Time In The West" medley (yes, that crunchy guitar part, haha - it's simple stuff but once the whole audience focuses on that guitar part the nerves get going) and 1 track on the el. bass. We had 2 gigs, the bigger one was with a 600 audience.
- Performing at the local town hall - closed society event, playing the el. bass (both fretted and fretless) in a quartet (glad to have a fine female singer).

Last edited:
Bad start to the year. Started off really bad, my wife lost her 18 YO. It is just now starting to really hit home. But it hasn't been all bad. I got to go to London. Plus I got a pretty cool drumset. With a bitchin snare.

Firstly,this time of year is always bad,when you lose a child.All I can tell you is...it gets better ,just hang in there buddy.

Hey Larry...what brand of drums were those that you bought?Any links or pics maybe sound files.Can I buy one too?

Sure would like to see as many pics as possible.:)

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. They say the 2nd year is the worst. Saturns. I got Saturns. Their website is in my sig.

Mixed year. Definite peaks and troughs, but nothing terminal either way.

Troughs: not going there, but if I were, it would be shemp.

Peaks (in chronological order): Joining DW. Andy taking the trouble to come to my house to tune Mabel <3. Forming a band. Acquiring Marilyn <3. London Drum Show: meeting Andy (again), Larry, Grea, Duncan, Ben, David, Dean and Henri. Having the opportunity to play Gurus (www.gurudrums.co.uk). Watching Mr Madge put his hand in his pocket to buy me the whole shebang because he (one of the least musical people on the planet) thought they sounded gorgeous. Finding the right saddle for the kindest and most generous horse in the world. Meeting Mini-Madge at the airport this morning, hearing her funny stories, and discovering that she is happy and well.

2013 was one of the worst years of my life. Lost my job, medical issues, said issues have made it difficult to get adequate employment, heart surgery, divorce in the works, cousin hung herself, car was wrecked w/ an uninsured motorist which is a big headache and I have no $ to get the car fixed right now so I can only drive in the daytime, if the house doesn't sell soon we'll run out of savings, north Idaho is a terrible place to be homeless...

You just can't make this shit up. Bad, bad year. But I'm still here, I still own my drums, and that means there is hope.

Wow...you really did have a bad year.The year I lost my son to a car accident,I felt like things couldn't get any worse,but they did.So I still got up every day,did what I had to do,and eventually,life went on.

It took time.Sometimes I felt like "how am I doing this'? I can't live another day this way....but I did.I'm glad I was able to hang on,and found solice in the little things,like fishing,my boy scout troop,and a few close friends.There's no greater reward for me,than helping children.That got me through.

Just hang in there,The universe abhores a vacume,another door will open up.

Steve B

Last edited:
Wow...you really did have a bad year.The year I lost my son to a car accident,I felt like things couldn't get any worse,but they did.So I still got up every day,did what I had to do,and eventually,life went on.

It took time.Sometimes I felt like "how am I doing this'? I can't live another day this way....but I did.I'm glad I was able to hang on,and found solice in the little things,like fishing,my boy scout troop,and a few close friends.There's no greater reward for me,than helping children.That got me through.

Just hand in there,The universe abhores a vacume,another door will open up.

Steve B

Thanks Steve. I know a lot of people who are struggling, and I know I am not the worst off. I will hang in there. I'm actually learning a lot about life and myself at 50 years of age. Late, but not too late.

Now I'd like to hear from others! Lets keep it going. :)

Sorry to those who had a bad year, experienced loss, and so on. That's never easy to handle.

Personally, my year was not good or bad, just uneventful. It went by incredibly fast. When I came home from being overseas last summer I felt very accomplished, and I have a hard time believing that was almost two years ago. Since then very little has gone on, though I have been making my best efforts to network with like-minded people, study and stay somewhat busy.

I've had a rollercoaster of a year. Promoted for the second time in three years, the theater gig, the "new" drums, and my playing is probably at an all-time high. Nearly done my degree, and in many ways at a very satisfying place in my life. But there's some personal things I think I really need to look at, some stuff I want to get done and won before retirement. All in all, more ups than downs.

As far as music goes, I would say yes, it has been a very good year. Keeps me broke, but, yes, good year that will end with a positive bang. Life and living-wise, it was just ho-hum (meh). I'm glad I have 2 arms and 2 legs that still work good, and hot, running water, etc. Nothing really bad happened, but nothing incredibly good happened either.

The year is not over yet. Let's hope for the best, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back