2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

Ok.. now that the world cup is over, and England flopped yet again.

What say we talk about for the next 4 years then.

American football maybe, nar, that would take way to long, with all them time outs, and all.

Or maybe netball, sorry i mean baseball.

Ehm..

Ok.. now that the world cup is over, and England flopped yet again.

Woz, I refer you to a post I made 6 months ago to the seemingly defunct sufc.loyal when he was trumpeting the virtues of England's football team:

sufc.loyal, it's almost painful to read your posts. Time after time, year after year, you Poms hang on to the desperate hope that maybe this time it will be different, that this time The Old Dart will bring home the bacon.

Yet deep down you KNOW it won't happen. It can't happen. 1966 was a bizarre and unlikely event never to be repeated.

Even if you are the best football team in the world with daylight second something will transpire - the "hand of god", a moment of madness, a dog will run on the field to do whoopsies at an inopportune moment, maybe even a freak earthquake - to ensure that you once again grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

You are British. It's just how things are.

At least, unlike us, you don't spend half your GDP on sport and then crow about being the best bloody sporting nation pound for pound on the planet. I'd take your glorious pathos over our misplaced triumphalism any day :)

I could claim that I have octopus-like predictive abilities but I'd be lying. Just that Aussies understand you Poms :)

Being from the Netherlands, I never believed that our national team would make it past the quarter finals. Especially after seeing them play...
I also think Spain deserved the title, even though they have some of the physically weakest players I have seen. They go down so easy. Unfortunately, soccer systematically rewards weak players that go down easy. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that their passes were all just perfect and fast, while the Dutch were slow and sloppy to pass the ball and let a few great chances of scoring a goal just fly away...

Kudos to the Dutch goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg though. Best keeper we've had in a while imho.

What about Van der Sar?

I wasn't quite impressed with him for the last couple of championships (since 2002), I was under the impression that he was already past his climax. A good goalkeeper, no doubt about that, but not the best there is to find anymore.

Now Aydee, that is very good, that does make me smile..

Don't you think that Wayne "Sulking" Rooney, really has the face of a babboon, in that picture.

Has the looks of a Nethanerdull.

Yes. Pollyspanner, you are right, us English live on the dream of 1966, every 4 years, we hope and pray that this time, its our time, that football is actually going to come home.

I had very high hopes this time, i really thought that we had the manager and squad, but sadly we had neither, just highly paid players, who think they are football gods, who thought they could go to the world cup, and win it on reputation alone.

I love my football, but the English players have really, really, let me and alot of others down.

Pollyplummer, you are proberlly right in what you wrote 6 months ago.

"Up the Shrimpers".

Wozzles, I think you're being too hard on them. The players gave their all but they simply choked because they were overcome by the pressure and fear of failure.

They knew that if they failed people would say they "think they are football gods, who thought they could go to the world cup, and win it on reputation alone ... the English players have really, really, let me and alot of others down".

"ALOT".

Sorry, I have A LOT of hangups about this :)

ALOT14.png

:)

I honestly believe that the British referee choose party for Spain in the finale. And no, it's not because I'm Dutch and we lost, thus I'm looking for an easy excuse or anything. I do believe in the Spanish team we met our match, we didn't play as well as we did against Brazil and Uruguay. Still in the international media we're depicted as 'a disgrace for the world cup', since during the game we got 10 (!) yellow cards.

But of all those 10 yellow cards, only one was valid, and that one was for a kick to the chest (forgot the name of the players involved). That was indeed quite a severe and unessescary act. But other than that, the Dutch team couldn't do anything or we'd get a yellow card. On the contrary for the Spanish team, who tackled several of our players but only got one yellow card. That is just plain unfair.

The Spanish team technically played better, which is why we lost, but the match was unfair due to the referee. Wether we'd won with a neutral referee is doubtfull though, but losing like this feels awkward. And again, no, I'm not looking for weak excuses here of why we lost. :)

Strange btw, how the World Cup has got my interest. I usually hate soccer.

Lex, that kick in the chest was outrageous. I can't work out why he didn't get a red card, which would have really messed up the team. I was going for Holland but after that decision, no matter how many things the ref may or may not have done wrong, I don't think they could logically complain about the ref.

I only pay attention to soccer at WC time too - I get off on the intensity and vibe passion of it all :)

Lex, that kick in the chest was outrageous. I can't work out why he didn't get a red card, which would have really messed up the team. I was going for Holland but after that decision, no matter how many things the ref may or may not have done wrong, I don't think they could logically complain about the ref.

I only pay attention to soccer at WC time too - I get off on the intensity and vibe passion of it all :)

Indeed it was outrageous, I was hugely dissapointed in my team when that happened. That should've been a red card. Worst piece of soccer I've seen by the Dutch team ever.

But other than that, we didn't do much wrong. Still we got 9 other yellow cards, on the contrary to Spain, who only got 1. Strange to say the least.

Again, also strange how the WC finale stirred me up so bad, I usually hate soccer.

Indeed it was outrageous, I was hugely dissapointed in my team when that happened. That should've been a red card. Worst piece of soccer I've seen by the Dutch team ever.

But other than that, we didn't do much wrong. Still we got 9 other yellow cards, on the contrary to Spain, who only got 1. Strange to say the least.

Again, also strange how the WC finale stirred me up so bad, I usually hate soccer.

It was a weird foul, right up there with Zidane's classic headbutt .. stay tuned for the video remixes! Ideally they'll have The Karate Kid or Enter the Dragon theme tune as a background ...

As for the home team thing, no shame in being caught up in hype for a short time as long as we don't make a habit of it :)

It was a weird foul, right up there with Zidane's classic headbutt .. stay tuned for the video remixes! Ideally they'll have The Karate Kid or Enter the Dragon theme tune as a background ...

As for the home team thing, no shame in being caught up in hype for a short time as long as we don't make a habit of it :)

Yes, Pollynutter, Zidanes head butt was good, but not as good as Eric Cantnars Karate kick to a mouthy surporter in the stands.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...3aTODg&usg=AFQjCNFJhpxlwA2trsNBGMVUfQx-76M1gQ

I honestly believe that the British referee choose party for Spain in the finale. And no, it's not because I'm Dutch and we lost, thus I'm looking for an easy excuse or anything. I do believe in the Spanish team we met our match, we didn't play as well as we did against Brazil and Uruguay. Still in the international media we're depicted as 'a disgrace for the world cup', since during the game we got 10 (!) yellow cards.

But of all those 10 yellow cards, only one was valid, and that one was for a kick to the chest (forgot the name of the players involved). That was indeed quite a severe and unessescary act. But other than that, the Dutch team couldn't do anything or we'd get a yellow card. On the contrary for the Spanish team, who tackled several of our players but only got one yellow card. That is just plain unfair.

The Spanish team technically played better, which is why we lost, but the match was unfair due to the referee. Wether we'd won with a neutral referee is doubtfull though, but losing like this feels awkward. And again, no, I'm not looking for weak excuses here of why we lost. :)

Strange btw, how the World Cup has got my interest. I usually hate soccer.

There were more valid yellow cards, but there should have been more yellow cards for spain as well. That one red card was completely unnecessary; that spanish guy obviously just fell down in a struggle to get attention and a free kick.

The yellow card for Nigel de Jong's kick in the stomach was necessary, but you could obviously see on his face that he was shocked when he saw what he did. This was definitely not done on purpose. I believe the rules dictate that yellow cards must be given for being verbally or physically violent, not for just having a very, very clumsy moment.

I also generally hate soccer, but the world cup (and euro cup) has my interest as far as the Dutch team goes. I generally expect them to get kicked out of the tournament in the quarter finals. We have the players for the job, but apparently not the team.

Congratulations for 1.Spain - 2.Nederland - 3.Deutschland - 4.Uruguay.

The Germany (3) vs Uruguay (2) match for 3rd place, was much better, real football (soccer), strong but clean, those boys sweat their jerseys for their countries.

The last shot from Diego Forlan, hitting the upper beam corner, in the very few last minutes...was tense, shocking, fulminating.

Well, now aiming to Argentina 2011 - America Cup of Nations and Brasil 2014 - World Cup.

Well, my knowledge of soccer rules is almost below 0%. I've been told that the kick to the chest was the only mistake we've made. Maybe we did more things wrong, but so did the Spanish team. And they only got one card. Still feels akward.

Back