Larry Mullen

larry mullen is an amazing drummer, just listen to sunday bloody sunday! such a wicked beat. he plays what is perfect for each song. as for his drums, i think that he uses a yamaha beech custom. well, thats what i read last.

I agree with everybody, Larry is a very cool drummer, not overdoing, just playing for the song, much respect. BUt i don`t think he always used yamaha, at least not in the early vids. he was probobly endored by Tama, (maybe superstar) then he moved too Yamaha 9000 to maple custom . I think he used a variety of brands during the joshua tree sessions, correct me if i´m wrong. Happy New Years Day!! (well..

His sister cecilia bought him his first drum kit for 17 pounds. But I was looking at some pictures and videos of when they were known as "Feedback" and "The Hype" and the drums he's ever played were Yamaha. His drum sticks are very strange due to his tendonitis though. Greatest drummer ever!

rendezvous_drummer said:
His sister cecilia bought him his first drum kit for 17 pounds. But I was looking at some pictures and videos of when they were known as "Feedback" and "The Hype" and the drums he's ever played were Yamaha. His drum sticks are very strange due to his tendonitis though. Greatest drummer ever!

Yeah, I read that about Larry years ago. I wonder how much 17 pounds are in USD currency. Are you in a band, Rendezvous_Drummer? If so, what type of band?, and what is the name? I read below that you paid $300.00 for the shells of your kit, what model is it? Sorry for all the questions, ha ha.

OfManNWolf said:
Yeah, I read that about Larry years ago. I wonder how much 17 pounds are in USD currency. Are you in a band, Rendezvous_Drummer? If so, what type of band?, and what is the name? I read below that you paid $300.00 for the shells of your kit, what model is it? Sorry for all the questions, ha ha.

Hey OfManNWolf, yeah im in a hard rock/pop band called Rendezvous. I hate this NAME!!! My kit is a Yamaha DP which is about 10 years old but still sounds awesome. I saw a pair of Larry's sticks today and it is very wierd. It's curved at just about the mid point of the stick. I know he's endorsed by Pro Mark, Yamaha kits and hardware and Paiste Cymbals, but im not to sure about heads. More likely remo since thats what he is playing the vertigo tour with.

Larry Mullen Jr is also my favorite drummer. The interesting thing about him is that he has a natural style. You can play the u2 songs just by listening careful to them, they are not very complicated.

If you are starting to play your drum kit, listen to some U2 songs such as Stay (faraway so close ), Pride, New Year's Day, The are very simple rythms and very easy to follow. Also listen to the Fly (U2 vertigo live version).

These songs are the base of all U2 songs, they almost follow the same rythms with some variations.

The beginning of City of Blinding Lights (and all the song) is a single stroke rudiment (right, left, right, left.......) listen careful to the song to remark the correct notes. Just try to follow the song don't desperate.

Happy New Year's DAY

Rendezvous_Drummer- That's cool, man! Have any pictures of your kit? I'm thinking about buying the Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Fusion 5-piece kit, or something a little bit better. I know Larry uses Pro-Mark sticks, but which ones?

Rick_Javi- Thanks for the tips, bro.

yea ill post some pics up when i get a few haha. But i think he uses 5A size sticks. Also another U2 song that follows the same rhythm as pride and elevation (verse) is until the end of the world. Very simple stuff that goes perfectly with the song. My all time favourite drum song of U2 is Sunday Bloody Sunday. It's like a military beat.

and the yamaha stage custom advantage fusion set is a wise choice. That's the kit ima be pickin up once im 300 bucks richer.

Last edited:
rendezvous_drummer said:
and the yamaha stage custom advantage fusion set is a wise choice. That's the kit ima be pickin up once im 300 bucks richer. I think Larry either uses Birch absolute or Beech Absolute.

Sweet. In what color? I'm planning on purchasing mine from Musician's Friend, how about you? Yes, Larry uses the Beech Absolute kit, that kit is killer.

I love Larry Mullen playing and I'm a U2 fan, but what is going on with Larry looking so bored on stage. I saw U2 here in Chicago, on Bono's birthday, which is now the Veritigo tour on DVD and Larry looks bored and almost angry. Now, he always seems a bit stoic, but even Bono has said that he is bored most of the time. What's going on, you'd think being as huge as they are and the big crowds that it would still be fun even after all these years.

I watched a U2 documentary where Larry said that "he looks like he is having an awful time because he is really not that great of a drummer and he really needs to concentrate to play everything correctly" obviously we all know that he rules but we can all relate to wanting to play to perfection

Actually Larry Mullen Jr. has a severe case of tendonitis and when he plays and looks angry, he's actually in a lot of pain.

Simply put, if it were'nt for Larry, U2 would not be U2. I like to call the band, The Larry Mullen Jr. band time to time. He is also my favorite drummer cause the stuff he does fits the music perfectly. Nobody else could do it any better. Too bad he isn't on this site.

This is my 2000th post and I just wanted to put it in the Larry Mullen Jr. thread. Afterall, he is my favorite drummer!

Have any of you heard the new U2 single "Window in the sky"? That groove that he plays is genious...fits perfectly!

bono can't sing (as well as his arrogant attitude)and u-2's music is boring,therefore why should i care who the drummer is? they do nothing that blows me away,musically.

Larry was a very important influence when I started. For those of you saying that he is to low in the mix, go back and check out their first two records Boy and October where he is playing straight up rock and roll drums that are up front and center. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a wonderful drum track that is both interesting and simple.

I have been frustrated that he is now so buried in the mix that you can't quite make out what he's doing. I like the music but I'd like to hear him too!

Also, it would be great if he would give an interview in MD or something. I don't think he's done an interview that's drum related in over 15 years.

I think we should get back to talking about drums, and Larry Mullen on this particular thread. I have been a fan since 1980 and I have always respected Larry's drumming, I think he is a fine drummer. His style is very tasteful and flows with the music, he doesn't overplay and plays what the music needs instead trying to put on a clinic every song. I think my favorite track is the "The Unforgettable Fire" very cool intro to this song. Also put on some headphones and play along with "Under A Blood Red Sky - Live At Red Rocks" this is a very fun album to play along with.

I saw the boys do their sound check in montreal for the Elevation tour....special guest thanks to my friend Rick St.Pierre of Wizard Amplification. It was like having U2 in your living room...big big living room.
Larry is just so tight and in the pocket...he was absolutly a joy to watch.
His kit and playing are a solid pocket of the U2 groove.
Not a day goes by that I don't remember that day.
What a beautiful day.

Back