electrionic drum kit problem (bought one, may return, need advice)

jeffedge

Long story short, while I was out of town someone in my family bought me an e-kit. It's a Simmons sd9k. I've heard that this set is crap. I wouldn't know, I've never played it. I have the receipt and it was right around a grand when everything was paid for.

The problem is, like everyone else, I want a Roland, but I've never heard anything about Simmons besides some reviews saying they were trash. Is this true, or is it honestly a fine kit that will serve it's purpose?

The closest Guitar Center to me is 3 hours away. I want to trade it for a Roland TD9K2-s ($1799), but I'm growing impatient and the box is RIGHT there to be opened.

Also, every place online says the TD9 isn't in stock and GC doesn't even know when they'll get one, so I either need to pay and not get it right there and end up waiting (the guy said they have no idea if itll be a week or a few months....) or I get all my money back, come home empty handed and wait until I see one in stock....or I can play this sd9k one right now.

What would you do and what are your honest thoughts on this sd9k?

The Simmons kits are not great at all. they are a generice electric kit available under many different brand names (OSP, Millennium etc), made in china (not that things made in china are bad, this is made cheaply in china) and sold at ridiculous prices.

Alesis is another one i would stay clear of if you dont like the simmons kit as again they're are a generic kit made cheaply in china.

I would recommend Roland or Yamaha - Companies that put in the proper R+D.

If you're serious about drumming, then Simmons is not the brand to choose. Like Mike said, Roland and Yamaha aren't cheap but, overall, make the best products. I wouldn't write Alesis completely off, I think their products are below Roland and Yamaha but above the cheapest kits.

You could also look at used Roland or Yamaha kits to save some money.

Third vote for stay away from the Simmons .... sure, in the 70's, they were the BIG hit ... and that was 30+ years ago. Roland is the largest drum manufacturer in the world ... and they don't even make acoustic kits. Get a Roland, or a Yamaha, unless you really need/want a "specialty" type drum, like a Korg Wave Drum, or a Mandala.​

Another for Roland or Yamaha, you might also consider the Roland TD-4, I have one and its great.

I also have a TD4 (I got the all mesh pads) and it is indeed very good. The new ones come with the new kick drum (the same one the TD9 has) and the same cymbals the TD9 has as well. The only difference is the rack system and the brain.

Td4 all the way, I also have the td4kx, love the mesh pads, and the new kits come with the new cy12 cymbals which are a great bonus. Would reccomend that, and maybe buy another cy13/14/15 cymbal to finish off the kit, really love mine

Love my TD4 in the few months I have owned it..I fin I play more at home and now seeing the benefits of the increased practice on my A-kit

Lots of good advice. I agree that the TD4 right now is the best value kit.

However, with a TD9 you can download additional kits from t'internet. I have a TD12 and have 100's of other acoustic kit downloads from www.vexpressionsltd.com

Cheers
Davo

Back