drum mics, mic mounts and stands

Nick G.

so ive got a nice audio interface (m-audio projectmix)
but no mics just yet

gonna get 4 to start off with this is what ive been told:
shure sm57 (snare)
akg d112 (kick)
se1a (2 overheads) - any oipinions on these?

what are some cheap but nice mic mounts - for the toms/snare (that will hold an sm57)
or will i have to use a stand for the sm57?

and some cheap overhead/bass drum stands

what are some cheap but nice mic mounts - for the toms/snare (that will hold an sm57)

Won't need a boom for the 57 if you use these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-A56D-Microphone-Drum-Mount-776431-i1134763.gc
Any boom mic stand will work for your overheads and kick. Or if you want a lower profile on the kick mic, try something like this:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hercule...hort-Microphone-Boom-Stand-584758-i1508120.gc

I don't know anything about those overheads, but based on the other mic recommendations (which re great) they're probably excellent mics. I would recommend normal mic stands for all 4 mics and no clips for attaching any of them to drums. Mic stands are common and cheap.

Any boom mic stand will work for your overheads and kick. Or if you want a lower profile on the kick mic, try something like this:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hercule...hort-Microphone-Boom-Stand-584758-i1508120.gc

I use very heavy based short boom stands for my bass drums. I hate to see full size microphone stands hovering above the front of the bass drum when you only need it about a foot above the drum platform.

DSC_0220.jpg

Dennis

I use very heavy based short boom stands for my bass drums. I hate to see full size microphone stands hovering above the front of the bass drum when you only need it about a foot above the drum platform.
Dennis

Agreed wholeheartedly.........to be totally honest Dennis, that's exactly the example I was trying to give the OP.

In this case, I was trying to bring it back to US availability for him and I struggled to find that stand amongst 9 pages of mic stands on the Guitar Centre website (clearly missed it along the way). My only defence is that I live in Oz......and out here in the colonies mate, we don't even know WTF Guitar Centre is, let alone be able to negotiate its wares.

Nick, I apologise for the confusion mate......I can only claim that I tried to get you as close as I could with what I could find for you at the time. FWIW, If it were me, I'd get what Dennis posted and forget my feeble efforts.

Cheers men.

Won't need a boom for the 57 if you use these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-A56D-Microphone-Drum-Mount-776431-i1134763.gc
yeh that looks cool, im looking into something like that for the kick drum

I don't know anything about those overheads, but based on the other mic recommendations (which re great) they're probably excellent mics. I would recommend normal mic stands for all 4 mics and no clips for attaching any of them to drums. Mic stands are common and cheap.

does a bigger one get in the way on snare drums?

DSC_0220.jpg

Dennis

yeh that looks cool and i agree with ya on the big stand for a lowdwon job :)

Agreed wholeheartedly.........to be totally honest Dennis, that's exactly the example I was trying to give the OP.

In this case, I was trying to bring it back to US availability for him and I struggled to find that stand amongst 9 pages of mic stands on the Guitar Centre website (clearly missed it along the way). My only defence is that I live in Oz......and out here in the colonies mate, we don't even know WTF Guitar Centre is, let alone be able to negotiate its wares.

Nick, I apologise for the confusion mate......I can only claim that I tried to get you as close as I could with what I could find for you at the time. FWIW, If it were me, I'd get what Dennis posted and forget my feeble efforts.

Cheers men.
dont apologise, you've been helpful :)

The rim clips are fairly convenient but short boom stands are more versatile and about the same price (just a bit bigger to lug.....).

The SM57 is a good choice for snare and the AKG D112 is excellent for KD.

The se1a have a good reputation for overheads/instruments but I'd recommend getting the shock mounts with them.

For studio recording you may want to consider a few AKG D77s or Shure SM58s for your toms and even another se1a for your HH if you can stretch the budget further..... that should fill up all the ports in your PM I/O :)

Actually the Shure SM58 and 57 have exactly the same dynamic element. The Only difference between these two microphones is the blast filter on the SM58.

Dennis

The rim clips are fairly convenient but short boom stands are more versatile and about the same price (just a bit bigger to lug.....).

The SM57 is a good choice for snare and the AKG D112 is excellent for KD.

The se1a have a good reputation for overheads/instruments but I'd recommend getting the shock mounts with them.

For studio recording you may want to consider a few AKG D77s or Shure SM58s for your toms and even another se1a for your HH if you can stretch the budget further..... that should fill up all the ports in your PM I/O :)

eventually i will :D
im saving up money !
managed to get the projectmix for £130 off an old school teacher
and ive got about £600 left (and wana get the basics first :D )

what are the shock mounts your talking about?

Actually the Shure SM58 and 57 have exactly the same dynamic element. The Only difference between these two microphones is the blast filter on the SM58.

Dennis

so would recommend sm58's for toms aswell?
other people have told me that there usually a live mic and im mainly going to be doing home recording

eventually i will :D
im saving up money !
managed to get the projectmix for £130 off an old school teacher
and ive got about £600 left (and wana get the basics first :D )

what are the shock mounts your talking about?

so would recommend sm58's for toms aswell?
other people have told me that there usually a live mic and im mainly going to be doing home recording

People say they are live mics because most vocalists use them because of their very effective built in wind screens, this will not affect the sound of your toms or anything else. The SM57 is more streamline because of the absence of the metal ball wind screen and this sometimes facilitates the placement of the microphone on the kit. Also where I live, the SM57 is about $10 USD less expensive than the SM58. Electrically and sonically, they are interchangeable both being dynamic, nominally 150 ohm low impedance, cardioid microphones. The SM58 just has the more effective blast filter for close up vocals to prevent popping and other explosive vocal noises.

Dennis

People say they are live mics because most vocalists use them because of their very effective built in wind screens, this will not affect the sound of your toms or anything else. The SM57 is more streamline because of the absence of the metal ball wind screen and this sometimes facilitates the placement of the microphone on the kit. Also where I live, the SM57 is about $10 USD less expensive than the SM58. Electrically and sonically, they are interchangeable both being dynamic, nominally 150 ohm low impedance, cardioid microphones. The SM58 just has the more effective blast filter for close up vocals to prevent popping and other explosive vocal noises.

Dennis

ok cool :D

ive just found this:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/79827
it comes with the akg d112 and i was kinda guessing that the other mics are good aswell?
how would these compare to the ones ive posted?

so ive got a nice audio interface (m-audio projectmix)
but no mics just yet

gonna get 4 to start off with this is what ive been told:
shure sm57 (snare)
akg d112 (kick)
se1a (2 overheads) - any oipinions on these?

as for stands, get some decent H&M stands from thomann.de as i see you live in england. They ship internationally and have very good prices.
the stands are fairly cheep and of good quality. as for the thomann store... they have all what you need in case of stands and mic's i'we recently purchased a Shure Beta52 for my kick and a shortbased stand. I have nothing in on thomann as i live and work in sweden but iwe used them on numerous occasions and are very happy with em, fast delivery and VERY well protected and packed.

for the sm57 on snare its a excellent choice! countless snare tracks has been recorded using that mic.
Opinion on the overhead mic's cant relay say i havent any experience from them i have only used the AKG1000s and the RODE NT5's

On the toms! i wouldnt recommend the E906 or the 421d, OPUS87s are nice in live situations.

I Got recommended the 421's from DIOS dude here on drummerworld. i'we ended up with
using the 421 most often in the studio and the opus87's live depending on venue and stuff.
The 906's are a bit cheeper but are very good for toms & snare as well. personally i use the 906 on top of my snare and the sm57 to pick up the strands.

Its all a question of money and time but, i think you will be fine with your pick's! Just get out there and get the drums miced up and start experimenting!
Good Luck and have Fun!

as for stands, get some decent H&M stands from thomann.de as i see you live in england. They ship internationally and have very good prices.
the stands are fairly cheep and of good quality. as for the thomann store... they have all what you need in case of stands and mic's i'we recently purchased a Shure Beta52 for my kick and a shortbased stand. I have nothing in on thomann as i live and work in sweden but iwe used them on numerous occasions and are very happy with em, fast delivery and VERY well protected and packed.

for the sm57 on snare its a excellent choice! countless snare tracks has been recorded using that mic.
Opinion on the overhead mic's cant relay say i havent any experience from them i have only used the AKG1000s and the RODE NT5's

On the toms! i wouldnt recommend the E906 or the 421d, OPUS87s are nice in live situations.

I Got recommended the 421's from DIOS dude here on drummerworld. i'we ended up with
using the 421 most often in the studio and the opus87's live depending on venue and stuff.
The 906's are a bit cheeper but are very good for toms & snare as well. personally i use the 906 on top of my snare and the sm57 to pick up the strands.

Its all a question of money and time but, i think you will be fine with your pick's! Just get out there and get the drums miced up and start experimenting!
Good Luck and have Fun!

yeh, ive used thomann a few times before, they always seem pretty fast
but now with the exchange rate as it is, there prices just dont seem that great :S

gonna go to my local drum/audio shop tomorrow see what they have in the way of stands, perhaps they have some second hand ones^^

the sm57 arrived a few days, the se1a's arrived today and im yet to order the akg
but what i have now seems pretty nice :p

The D112 is a good mic.

Check out the Audix D6. It is a little better.

I'm not sure from your OP as to whether you are getting mics for just the studio or for playing live too. If it's for studio only, then you should hold out and or shop around as much as possible and buy the best mics you can afford.

Last year my beloved D112 had a cup of beer kicked into it and has never fully recovered. I got it all cleaned up but..

..since then I bought a bunch of cheap mics for live play that I won't be upset if somethings happens to them.

Long story short, since now I use a cheap CAD mic for my bass drum, I add the Earthworks Kickpad to it and I get an instant BD EQ that basically leaves the sound guy whether he's good or not with nothing to do to get a great kick sound.

It scoops out all the remaining mids and it even works to make any mic perform like a really good kick mic.

They're about $100 bucks and I have had good results with it.

Click the link below to see a photo of it.

Good luck!

http://www.altomusic.com/altoweb/images/products/200/2014/KP15.jpg

The D112 is a good mic.

Check out the Audix D6. It is a little better.

I'm not sure from your OP as to whether you are getting mics for just the studio or for playing live too. If it's for studio only, then you should hold out and or shop around as much as possible and buy the best mics you can afford.

Last year my beloved D112 had a cup of beer kicked into it and has never fully recovered. I got it all cleaned up but..

..since then I bought a bunch of cheap mics for live play that I won't be upset if somethings happens to them.

Long story short, since now I use a cheap CAD mic for my bass drum, I add the Earthworks Kickpad to it and I get an instant BD EQ that basically leaves the sound guy whether he's good or not with nothing to do to get a great kick sound.

It scoops out all the remaining mids and it even works to make any mic perform like a really good kick mic.

They're about $100 bucks and I have had good results with it.

Click the link below to see a photo of it.

Good luck!

http://www.altomusic.com/altoweb/images/products/200/2014/KP15.jpg

yeh, just for recording :p

im only going on what my music tech teacher/old it teacher have told me
they both have home recording setups

In my opinion stick with the 112 its good all around for anykind of music, or the shure beta52. The Audix d6 is way to EQ'd for my taste at least. Works great for metal, but if you want a more all round kick drum mike the 112 is great or the beloved beta52 witch i i use for live purposes and studio some times.

but for really demanding studio work most often i use a homemade woofer or the yammaha subwoofer if i can lend one & the beta52, or a large diaphragm mic for the front and sometimes a mike placed to pickup the beater "klick" but thats really really unusual in my case.

Back