Lars Ulrich

the drums also sound HORRID in the "some kind of monster" video.fascinating movie from the soap opera type goings on with the band.but it seemed to me that lars might have lost some confidence in his ability. the scene where the old bass player for metallica put together a band and lars went to see him,that drummer was pretty polished. perhaps they are just running out of ideas for their songs.

dawg said:
the drums also sound HORRID in the "some kind of monster" video.fascinating movie from the soap opera type goings on with the band.but it seemed to me that lars might have lost some confidence in his ability. the scene where the old bass player for metallica put together a band and lars went to see him,that drummer was pretty polished. perhaps they are just running out of ideas for their songs.

I think the same! They've been going how many years now? I think I can forgive them for getting a little writer's block after all this time.

Didn't they do St Anger by just cutting/pasting loads of riffs they'd jammed out in ProTools?

i don't find nothing special about lars drumming. pretty straight forward stuff...just at random times. i also heard that some of his double bass on recordings..are really him hittin a electronic kit bass drum wit drum sticks..is that true?

don't know about how they record,but my nephew was a HUGE metallica fan (who also plays some bass) and has seen them numerous times and has said lars can be really sloppy sometimes live.maybe it's too much beer.

METAL_DRUMMER said:
Breadmonkey said:
I really dislike him for several reasons:

1) His objection to Napster and similar file sharing programs. If it wasn't for tape swapping in the eighties no-one would ever have heard of metallica, so in my opinion biting the hand that feeds you.

2) Sure, if you like their style the drums sound great...... after thirty takes. He cannot deliver the goods in a live situation as he does not have the technical ability to play his own stuff outside of a studio without having plenty of time to get it right.

3) I know people have admitted that he is not the most technical drummer in the world. Its entirely his fault he doesn't get much respect anymore from the drumming community. If he didn't let his ego grow into the out of control monster it has become he would say to himself "hang on i need to work on my technique so i can play better", but no he doesn't do this. So when it comes to show time, instead of playing what you hear on the albums, nice, even, properly done double bass work, you get him just hitting the double bass pedal as fast as he can, which some may say is rockin and intense but its not, it shows lack of control and ability and shows him up for the fraud he is.

4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********
he may have an ego but it does mean he is a bad drummer, remember in the 80s most drummers didnt even play double bass, but he did, most drummers had a big ass kit just to play super easy drum beats(KISS drummer) that proves lars is a kickass drummer

I agree with you on the ego side of things.

But the way you acuse him for a live performance is a little over the top. Can you please give me some examples....?

i dont mind him.. imo his stuff is easy to play so for me playing his stuff is actually really fun

stevyc said:
i dont mind him.. imo his stuff is easy to play so for me playing his stuff is actually really fun

Thats how i feel, his stuff is just so easy to play. I feel like im doing something wrong. I guess he is just solid and plays for the music.

I do prefur playing his older stuff with metallica like puppets, creeping death ect..

I can relate to what your saying though i used to play a lot of metallica when i started.

Lars will always be in my list. He is so simple its not even funny. Like on One, or Call of Kutulu, its simple, but it just sounds hard. Also, he's just a rock solid drummer, and really puts power into what he does. Keep it.

Before you people eat me alive let me just say that he has greet foot work and his amazing at accents. With that out of the way, the only reason he has so much credit in the world of drums or rock n roll is because he's in the biggest metal ever to come out of the U.S.A,Metallica. Him and Tommy Lee of Motley Crue deserve each other because they both lack creativity and rely a bit to much on that double pedal but whatever. Now if you people don't mind, and you probably don't, I'm gonna go to my local Home Depot and buy the Lars Ulrich snare drum they have in stock,the trash can. Old Metallica,I miss you.

mhm when I started playing drums I used to play like Lars Ulrich because I did not know much about other drummers. But after a while I recognized that there are better drummers like Jason Bittner or Chris Adler...He's just one of the popular drummers of the world.
But his setup is great.

I think he really lacks creativity. Yeah he is solid, but that is because he practically plays the same standard beat for every song adding a new snare fill every now and then. It just gets boring.

I dont know about the person who said he rely's on double kicks, he rarely does them at all. And when he does, they are usually turned right down, as aposed to many other metal bands.

He is solid, but nothing special

He plays that as a solo because it allows him and James to have there competition. James hasn't actively played drums in 20 years by then. So he is playing down. Plus the part where James isn't playing he is just playing samples of songs for the fans.

Seriously just because he said pirating is wrong dosen't make him a douche, he is right. With that said i have never purchased any of there cd's only downloaded them but i still agree with him.

I am a big fan of Lars and he has inspired me from the beginning however I think that most people don't realize that it was Bob Rock that started Metallica's downfall. He produced the black album through St. Anger and basically took them from a band that loved jamming out thrash to a band that does whatever Bob Rock thinks sounds the best. Am I saying that I don't like the black album? No, I love it but I can see how that album would have made Metallica think that they are weaker without a producer named Bob to tell them what to play.

I know many bash Lars because "hes not as good as x drummer", but he really DID play for the song. Master of Puppets, Sanitarium, ONE, and Justice for all... all great, great songs that might not be as great if they were too overly complex. His parts were straightforward, but so was the music he played to. it was meant to be in your face.

Im disappointed with his newer stuff though. His drums sound SOO good in the older recordings but SOOOO bad in the newer ones. Old Metallica, where art thou?

Im disappointed with his newer stuff though. His drums sound SOO good in the older recordings but SOOOO bad in the newer ones. Old Metallica, where art thou?

I agree...hopefully Rick Rubin will change that on the new record. I truely do not have much hope for the new album but hopefully it will be worth listening to. I do think Lars jams overall.... the early stuff is awesome.

I agree...hopefully Rick Rubin will change that on the new record. I truely do not have much hope for the new album but hopefully it will be worth listening to. I do think Lars jams overall.... the early stuff is awesome.

For real. ...And Justice for All/ Master of Puppets have been on constant repeat on my mp3 player for the past week. One may be one of the best songs ever...its got everything to it. I love it.

lars.... he is an ok drummer. when compared to the rest of the band members he is a little less talented but its all good. anyone heard anything off the new album yet ? hopfully it wont suck. Iv heard its suposed to sound like the 80's stuff. but im tryin not to get my hopes up

lars doesn't have EXTREME skill like portnoy, but he can really lay down a heavy metal beat that will really get your head moving

theres nothing more entertaining than a live MASTER OF PUPPETS show in the 80's

ahhhh i wish i could be there

Back