A question for DW5000 users

poika

Silver Member
I'm getting a DW5000 pedal tomorrow, used. I'm not sure about the exact model but it has a double chain for all it's worth..

I've understood that these are pretty rugged and stay in shape fairly well, but is there something I should be checking for in particular? Some known problems / manufacturing flaws that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve been playing the same DW5000 double pedal for maybe 20 years now. The only problem: a slight squeak that only recently started. They’re pricey, but I highly recommend them.

In terms of longevity, I know there are people on here than have models that go back to before I was born that still work like new.

The basic design of the pedal is solid, sound and the manufacturing is high-quality. Quite simply, if there were an inherent issue in the pedal then it would've been discovered by now.

I like mine. I haven't played it in quite a while but it's still there and I'm considering going back to it. I've had mine for about six years and it's always done me very well.

In terms of checking out the pedal, just make sure that all the bearings move smoothly. It’s entirely possible to ruin a pedal by e.g. leaving it out in the rain, and that could cause invisible damage to bearings etc. If all the articulated moving parts are smooth and have their full range of motion, you’ve probably found a good pedal. (I bought mine used too, and it’s great.)

Yup, will do that.

I've been playing this really cheap pearl-lookalike pedal for months, and while the feel is surprisingly good it just isn't reliable enough. Otherwise I'd probably just stick with it, but there's always that feeling in the back of your head of knowing that a tightening screw might come loose in the middle of a song.

I figured that it's time to invest in something that I know will get the job done and spare the worrying for something else.

After that I'm done with new gear!
(yeah, right...)

Thanks for the replies!

Quick update.
Got the pedal today - and I fell in love instantly!

Solid, well made, silent - and powerful!
All that time playing on that cheap thing really payed off, I feel like I can just fly with this thing!

...and I'm never going back to them cheap things again. I can see now why it's referred to as an industry standard

Back