New piece for marimba and string quartet

Wow! Just wonderful. The combination of marimba & plucked strings is just heavenly. Super skilled composing too :)

As a side note, marimbas just use the best tone woods ever ;)

...on a side note, Honduran Rosewood doesn't sound all that great as a drum set hardwood. I played on a solid rosewood kit 3 weeks ago, 12/14/20, and I wasn't impressed. The tuning was spot on, too. I'd love to hear a rosewood stave kit, though...

Maybe Andy means Padauk? Funny how that's considered a 'second-rate' marimba hardwood, but translates so well to drums. My Padauk stave snare is a total beast, and it's only 13x5!
Yes, sorry, I was referring to padauk. A wonderful wood, if the drum's designed to work with it's characteristics.

...on a side note, Honduran Rosewood doesn't sound all that great as a drum set hardwood. I played on a solid rosewood kit 3 weeks ago, 12/14/20, and I wasn't impressed. The tuning was spot on, too. I'd love to hear a rosewood stave kit, though...
I'm with you on Honduran rosewood - quite dry & bright, but very nice as a steam bent snare :) caddy, when you say solid, do you mean hollow log, or are you just referring to a ply shell made of the same wood? East Indian rosewood does make for a lovely drum though :)

Sorry OP, unintentional derail. I listened to your piece again this morning. What quality! :) :) :)

Back