Trying to encourage my daughter...

bigiainw

Gold Member
So, my youngest, Abi, who is seven, has shown a bit of interest in playing drums and from a few short goes at playing my much too big for her kit. So I decided to asseble a little "bitsa" kit for as little money as I could manage using some used shells and some bits and pieces I had lying around, such as hardware and my spare cymbals. The results are pretty special if i say so myself. Overall outlay was about £100 in total, which when you consider the "junior" kits out there (for junior, read rubbish) I think is pretty good value. The bass drum is a 16" Premier Royale floor tom, with a pearl jungle adaptor set, £21 from ebay. The high tom is a 10" Mapex M Birch tom, £26 from ebay. The "floor" tom is a 12" Premier Royale that matches the bass drum and that I paid nothing for- it was advertised locally on gumtree as a 10"- when I pointed out that the size was wrong in the ad, the chap just gave me the drum- it was pretty minging having said that! The snare is a 10x5 Yamaha Stage Custom, which flys off the same cymbal stand as the crash and 10" tom with a Yamaha tom mount. The hardware is my spare set, from my long departed Tama Rockstar, which I no longer use as I have a Pearl rack. The cymbals are 14" quickbeats, a 17" A custom Crash and a 20" K Custom ride- not bad for a starter kit.

The great thing about the kit is that it can grow with her-0 all it needs is a proper bass drum to become a full sized kit. It also means we can have a kit set up in the house for me to potter on from time to time.

So, here it is, complete with daughter, in all it's glorious cheapness!

DSCF0461.jpg

i vote for "Dad of the Year" !!!

i have a 5 y.o. and got her a started drum set as well (at toys r us). its amazing how "nice-ish" the sound is for a uber-cheap kit vs. what was available when i was younger. all basswood, but good sound. even used the BD when i was double booked on new years eve.

The 16" bass sounds incredible. It has an evans hydraulic as the batter and a remo pinstripe in front, with the Animal logo, and an evans bd pillow in the drum. The toms sound good and the little snare really cracks. Its a lovely thing to play too!

Funny - at first glance I thought it was a 24" bass drum. Always good to see girls play drums - good work, Ian! Great to be so encouraged - my dad was happy when I was making jewellery, not too thrilled for me to be bashing away along with Machine Head :)

Funny - at first glance I thought it was a 24" bass drum. Always good to see girls play drums - good work, Ian! Great to be so encouraged - my dad was happy when I was making jewellery, not too thrilled for me to be bashing away along with Machine Head :)

It's all relative and the photo angle helps make it look bigger! Put a small thing next to more small things and it doesn't look so small any more! (always works with the ladeez- sorry Grea....)

I had her playing paradiddles last night! She prefers to play them between the toms rather than on the snare. Just like her dad! I'm so proud!

Back