New here. Showing off my Stage Customs.

lsits

Gold Member
Hello everyone. New to the forum. Wanted to show off my Stage custom kit that I bought a little over a year ago:

Here's a pic from a gig last summer.
CanyonCrest.jpg

I'm sure you've heard it before, but the pictures don't do it justice.

A closeup of the grain.
CIMG0727.jpg

I liking these a lot. But then, what's not to like? They're the best drums in the world.......my world at least.

Last edited:
Those are nice, they have good hardware too. Ive seen some up close and that grain really stands out in person. Nice kit.

The hardware is a mixture of Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, Gretsch (Blackhawk) and a Speed King pedal. I've since bought a couple of medium duty Gibraltar stands.

Very nice did you buy it brand new or used? Just wondering if it's 100% birch. Gorgeous kit. I am seeing alot more kits set up with the toms off to the left. I may have to try this someday.

Very nice did you buy it brand new or used? Just wondering if it's 100% birch. Gorgeous kit. I am seeing alot more kits set up with the toms off to the left. I may have to try this someday.

I bought it brand New from American Musijcal Supply. it is indeed 100% birch. It was really easy to offset the toms. Put the Yamaha mount into a Pearl boom stand. I have the 10" the 12" toms as well as a 17" crash cymbal on the one single-braced stand. Never had a problem. It lets me get the ride cymbal right where I need it.

I am seeing alot more kits set up with the toms off to the left. I may have to try this someday.

I think a lot of people set there toms to the left to have the ride closer, i think its a lot more comfortable and I believe more ergonomic as well.

anyway nice drums. I like that semi clear wood finish, I've seen on a few kits here the grain looks really good. nice.

Neglected to list my cymbals: All Zildjian A's

20" medium ride
17" medium thin crash
16" medium crash
16" New Beat hi-hats

I also have a 22" medium ride that I use for rock gigs. (this show was with my surf band)

How do you like those 16" New Beats? There's an older used pair available locally, but I haven't had a chance to try them out.

How do you like those 16" New Beats? There's an older used pair available locally, but I haven't had a chance to try them out.

They came with the Gretsch kit that I bought used in 1977, and they're the only pair I've ever owned. They did take some getting used to as far as positioning, but I've gotten used to it over they years. Other drummers who sit behind my kit might have a period of time getting used to it though.

I've played 13" and 14" hats and these definitely have a lower pitch. No one I've played with or anyone in the audience has ever made a comment one way or the other. I guess it's just assumed to be "my" sound. I've played surf, classic rock, and even a little country over the years and the only thing I've changed cymbal-wise is the ride cymbal. Either a 20" or a 22".

I'm a believer in using what you have. My newest cymbal is the 17" crash that I bought in 1985 or 1986. I'm still using the Speed King pedal that came with the Gretsch set. That being said, I don't know if I'll ever use my Roto-Toms again. :)

Back