Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

I also remain amazed at how people are always going on and on about this his style fits/doesn't fit stuff. Are these people really telling me that most of the guys seen here can't play any way they want if they put their minds to it? Believe it or not, it's not just Vinnie C. There are hundreds of great drummers capable of this skillset.

I agree with everything you said but this. Even Vinne (who is probably one of the if not the most versatile guys around) doesn't play any style of music absolutely authentically. Sure, he could jump in any band on the planet and sound great, but there might still be a difference between great and authentic. For example I believe he could play a samba / bossa nova gig or a afro-cuban gig and sound great, but very likely a guy from brazil or a guy from cuba would sound (and look which for a band like DT is probably important) more authentic.

Just like with the Rock/Jazz idiom. You don't let your hair grow and buy a double pedal because you want to be an authentic jazz musician. You do it because you want to be an authentic Rock musician and that is - if your good at it - what you will get called for. Easy as that if you ask me.

Certainly many hundrets of players are out there who could fit in any style or at least adapt to any style real fast (hell.... even I made it into a Reggae band once without and experience on that fiel beforehand and still get asked a lot of questions by some students on how to play that or that reggae beat) and the seven guys in these audition certainly would belong into this category, but when it comes to absolute authenticism you need a guy who loves the style music and breathes it in and out. You know.... I still believe that about 10000 drummers from Jamaica would outplay me in any Reggae band because these guys grow up listening to that music and drinking it up with their mothers milk. Not saying you couldn't learn it, but there is more to it than just the drumming. At least on the level we are talking here in this thread.

I thought Mangini's emotional reaction to getting the gig was awesome. I'm happy any time I see someone get something s/he worked really hard for and wants really badly. He poured his heart and soul into getting that gig, did everything right and his hard work and preparation paid off. As I said before, a lot of us could probably learn something from Mike's approach and apply it to our own lives. And I'm not just talking about drumming.

Congrats to Mike but also to the other fine drummers who auditioned. I don't really know much about Dream Theater but I was still blown away by all the drummers.

The interesting thing is that they did choose many of the uber players that are so criticized in drum forms, in feel v technique question. The BIG Four Lang, Mangini, Minnemann and Virgil. Here it was, a real forum for these guys to strut their stuff. And they were all phenomenal. And of course people complain. Does that surprise you? "Oh, I was left a little taken back by him saying this" all this pansy-assed shit. If you couldn't just sit back and enjoy this without getting critical I don't know what to say. I was glad that Aydee got into it. Not his music, but a real hoot, right Abe? This was a once in a lifetime event. You get to see these seven fine drummers vying for the spot.

People are always looking for some way to put down metal, some way to put down prog, some way to put down hip-hop. It's so easy to dismiss a genre of music. But you look at bands like DT and Spock's Beard with Neil Morse. These guys know their stuff. They are able to write in a myriad of hard rock, heavy metal or prog styles. They not only reference Dregs, but Zappa, Yes, ELP, Led Zep, Floyd, remember that one line, "let's do the Floyd number" as well as fusion bands like Mahavishnu, Dregs, Return to Forever, classic metal bands like Queensryche, Maiden, Metallica or Sabbath. They even have some U2 ish stuff. Doesn't everybody? Half these bands sound lie U2 these days. That's not to say they don't have their own style. But if you had been listening to a lot of Stockhausen, Pink Floyd may not have seen so unique. If you were listening to a lot of Chess, Led Zep wouldn't have seen so unique. Get my drift? It all comes from somewhere.

Taking some of these great players and putting em jump through hoops, curve balls and all, and televising it to the whole world wasn't classy.

This is what auditions are LIKE to se if you can step up to the plate
Mike Nailed it
Virgil took a chance trying to modify the pattern,
Marco and Mike and Pete seemed to be able to hanle it as well

A friend of mine Shayne Gaalaas auditioned cattle call style for Steve Vai got through 3 songs did well and Steve called another song Shane had to think for a minute to remember the song ....
Steve yells out NEXT.......................
As for the worlds greatest drummers EVEN MIke would not say that with Vinnie in the room
Tim

Mike Portnoy always was the first to praise his own heroes like the very Neil Peart. And he
is always the first to state that he's "no great drummer". I'm not quoting, but something in
that regard. I don't think anybody in DT believe they invented something. Although they
did invent their style as we hear it today, and they are as influental as their ancestors were
to them.

There are lots of prog metal bands nowadays that are borrowing half their ideas from DT.

Mike Portnoy always was the first to praise his own heroes like the very Neil Peart. And he
is always the first to state that he's "no great drummer". I'm not quoting, but something in
that regard. I don't think anybody in DT believe they invented something. Although they
did invent their style as we hear it today, and they are as influental as their ancestors were
to them.

There are lots of prog metal bands nowadays that are borrowing half their ideas from DT.
Again very well stated. I think I will just let you guys talk from now on. I just get into trouble all the time. :) There are very many well spoken people on this site. Good job guys. I have lots to say, but don't always have the tack to get it out properly. Maybe I could have someone proof read my drafts. :)

Us average people have to stick together you know. :) I had to stop fighting with Matt and Mediocre, because they are too damn smart for me. :) I had to kiss and make up.

I hope you guys weren't taken back by my brash remarks. I was just trying to be funny, and perhaps poke a little fun at what we do here on these forums. The old adage, you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time comes in here. My attitude is that these guys are doing it, and they call their own shots. We all know the dedication and work it takes to make that happen. That in and of itself is worthy of respect.

I hope you guys weren't taken back by my brash remarks. I was just trying to be funny, and perhaps poke a little fun at what we do here on these forums. The old adage, you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time comes in here. My attitude is that these guys are doing it, and they call their own shots. We all know the dedication and work it takes to make that happen. That in and of itself is worthy of respect.
Not at all. It is such a fine art on these sites to try and get your point across without sounding like you are preaching to the choir. We all have our opinions and not one of us us usually completely right about anything. As long as we all remember that, and support each other like brothers and sisters, we should be all good. That is one thing I saw in the Dream Theater tryout. Everyone was very nice and patient with each other, because they all had respect for each other. We need to show the same courtesy on these sites.

Again very well stated. I think I will just let you guys talk from now on. I just get into trouble all the time. :) There are very many well spoken people on this site. Good job guys. I have lots to say, but don't always have the tack to get it out properly. Maybe I could have someone proof read my drafts. :)

No reason not to say or edit your piece,S4D! I hope that wont hold you back. I've enjoyed your posts. This place would be boring if everyone agreed with each other all the time with well crafted paragraphs..

Oh yes, that's for sure!!

I can relate to that. It struck me as very odd when Jordan said it was interesting that they
chose seven of the best drummers they know (they know), and even of the seven
not all of them could tackle what they were presenting them. As if they were über-musicians
from another planet, ignoring i.e. the whole fascinating jazz realm with brillant drummers
(and musicians in general) - another idiom, but stellar playing too. So I was disappointed
with Jordan saying that.

I agree the quote is a bit, well, not quite right. But it was obviously said (and perhaps edited) to create the "drama" for the presentation.

Jordan has done several projects with Rod Morgenstein, and a host of others. DT has toured with many other guys who could have done the gig. Also, who knows who else might have been asked, but just couldn't make it.

For example, I heard a rumor Bobby Jarzombek was asked, but he just couldn't due to his touring commitments.

Ken, thanks for an awesome thread. I thought I'd be the last person to participate, but its been so much more. Its been great to read the many different views on what was probably the most visible example of 'process' the drummers go thru at the top level of the music business.. almost like a watching & discussing the game from the dugout.

Personally I've never gotten the whole DT thing. I just don't feel it and as said before if you want this original sound with a cool vibe let's revisit Dixie Dregs circa 1979-80. There was this one thing they did called I'm Freakin Out that seems to be the catalyst for so much of what DT is given credit for now. In fact I hope that over the past 20 or so odd years that Mike Portnoy took time to thank Rod Morgenstein for a whole lot of things..

He has. Everyone in DT are huge Dregs fans, and have done Dregs covers here and there.

And the kicker is, the (current) DT keyboardist, Jordan Rudness, was in the Dregs for a short time. Several members of DT have also done side projects with Rod Morgenstein.

Say what you want about Dream Theatre, but they are all fantastically talented musicians. I am not a big fan, but I have two of their DVD's just to watch them all play.

Watching the audition videos of - Thomas Lang - Virgil Donati - Marco Minemann - Derek Roddy...they played great and remarkably but Mangini fitted the shoes of Dream Theatre/Theater, besides his technique I think he slided his feel in, adding several contributing factors that the band considered it important.

Congratulations to all drummers involved! Good job!

I agree the quote is a bit, well, not quite right. But it was obviously said (and perhaps edited) to create the "drama" for the presentation.

Jordan has done several projects with Rod Morgenstein, and a host of others. DT has toured with many other guys who could have done the gig. Also, who knows who else might have been asked, but just couldn't make it.

For example, I heard a rumor Bobby Jarzombek was asked, but he just couldn't due to his touring commitments.
I thought guys like Jason Rullo (Symphony X) or even Gavin Harrison could have been worth
a discussion, but I suppose they're busy with their own stuff and bands, especially Gavin.
And Gavin is probably not too much the metal/rock drummer.

He has. Everyone in DT are huge Dregs fans, and have done Dregs covers here and there.

And the kicker is, the (current) DT keyboardist, Jordan Rudness, was in the Dregs for a short time. Several members of DT have also done side projects with Rod Morgenstein.

Funny thing is that when I first heard the Dregs, I couldn't get passed the Mahavishnu meets Kansas style of the band. Throw in some Zep and southern charm . . .

Ken, thanks for an awesome thread. I thought I'd be the last person to participate, but its been so much more. Its been great to read the many different views on what was probably the most visible example of 'process' the drummers go thru at the top level of the music business.. almost like a watching & discussing the game from the dugout.

I'll take that, since I'm the guy who usually gets four posts on my threads, three of them mine. :)

as much as i admire the god-given talent these drummers have, their playing, and bands like DT, etc, leave me cold.

oh believe me, i'd love to kill a kit the way these guys do as far as technique goes. but as far as listening, i'd take a good ol' Al Green or Motown/Funk Brothers medley over any of these types of bands any day of the week.

two totally different sides of the coin, but both equally talented in their own ways.

Pete Wildoer you are a wonderful drummer. I think if there were any BIG winners from this whole thing it was you. Sure Mike got the gig, but he was already out there and capable of landing any number of things. Your ascension on the other hand comes off as something very cool. What a fantastic springboard. I can't imagine this not affecting you in a positive way. Geez you've got ridiculous skills and a whole lot of class. It's also great you're hanging around now and I hope you stick around past this little publicity surge.

As for Mangini, he decided he was going to get the gig, did the homework and got the gig...plain and simple. As for these bring your own style-not bring your own style discussions, I think its probably the wisest to do what's required to get the gig. Then once you have it and you get comfortable with the guys, then your own stuff gets in there.

I also remain amazed at how people are always going on and on about this his style fits/doesn't fit stuff. Are these people really telling me that most of the guys seen here can't play any way they want if they put their minds to it? Believe it or not, it's not just Vinnie C. There are hundreds of great drummers capable of this skillset. And Mike happens to be one of the best at it although I've remained perplexed about the kind of music that really moves him. To him I think DT is exactly where his heart is musically. But hey ...when you're a beast like that and can do so many things...more power to you.

I've seen some people already ragging on him for being overly happy about winning, But I just think that's what a superbly focused guy who sees life goals in terms of winning and losing does, whether it's DT, a Berklee appointment, WFD comps, or a game of cards. I think too many mistake that as some confused invasion of artistic principles when it's actually a whole lot more positive than that.

Personally I've never gotten the whole DT thing. I just don't feel it and as said before if you want this original sound with a cool vibe let's revisit Dixie Dregs circa 1979-80. There was this one thing they did called I'm Freakin Out that seems to be the catalyst for so much of what DT is given credit for now. In fact I hope that over the past 20 or so odd years that Mike Portnoy took time to thank Rod Morgenstein for a whole lot of things.

OK I admit it. I sold out and liked this...although I still couldn't believe how many people refused to believe in their heart of hearts that Mangini had locked up the gig months ago when every piece of reliable press and word of mouth was there for anyone to see. Well then...I suppose that ability for so many to suspend belief was why this turned out very successful for all involved.

I whole heartedly agree with everything in Matt's post. I could not have said it better.

Back