Really Long Boom Arms?

Velocette

I'm trying to simplify my cymbal stands to 2 stands, each supporting a tom and a cymbal. My problem is that none of the boom arms offer enough length to give me the flexibility that I need, for positioning the cymbals where I would like them.

I saw this pic of 'Praire Prince' on tour with Todd Rundgen, he seems to have super long boom arms. And just what I need. I've searched online with many manufactures, few bother to say how long their boom arms are, and those that do are too short for my needs.

I just failed to upload the pic from my desktop, apparently to load an image I need to provide a URL, which at present is beyond my pc skills. Later I'll visit the site where I found the image and see if their URL is apparent.

So I hoping that someone knows who markets boom arms that are really long, maybe 24 or 30 inches!

Many thanks . . . . . . . .

Not sure of your setup but you must be really extending your cymbals upward, or way over from the stand. Either of those could make for an unsteady situation.

IF lookign to save $$ at the same time I think you may be able to find some older cymbal stands, say from the 80's, have the extension you are looking for. I had some Dixons and Pearls once that were way long.

Thing is, if you are looking to simplify your setup so as to carry less weight in hardware, cymbals stands with long boom arms (and broader bases), will weigh more, thus not helping the weight issue. It may be easier (weight wise) to carry long separate cymbal stands.

i have tama roadpro boom stands. they have 3 parts which can be extended, it can probably reach about 5-6m high when fully extended, i just got a drum rack so i just took the bottom section (the legs) off and put it on that, they don't move an inch when you have tightened them and i think they would suit you perfectly

Not sure of your setup but you must be really extending your cymbals upward, or way over from the stand. Either of those could make for an unsteady situation.

IF lookign to save $$ at the same time I think you may be able to find some older cymbal stands, say from the 80's, have the extension you are looking for. I had some Dixons and Pearls once that were way long.

Thing is, if you are looking to simplify your setup so as to carry less weight in hardware, cymbals stands with long boom arms (and broader bases), will weigh more, thus not helping the weight issue. It may be easier (weight wise) to carry long separate cymbal stands.

Hi Louis, I should have been up front about my kit being edrums, but thought I might be stoned to death! I'm retired and live in an apartment in Tenerife, so I'm getting Yamaha DTX stuff, A drums are out. I'm guessing that the Yam cymbals pads are light enough to fly them out and still be secure.

I take your advise on the weight issue, if they were 'real' cymbals I'd have no choice. I never thought about the oldies, I'll look into the classic stand scene and see what's available.

It's a shame I couldn't post the pic (its worth a thousand words!) from my desktop. I found the URL it's on Yamaha DTX Facebook, but there are far too many other images for anyone to wade through.

Many thanks, Steve

i have tama roadpro boom stands. they have 3 parts which can be extended, it can probably reach about 5-6m high when fully extended, i just got a drum rack so i just took the bottom section (the legs) off and put it on that, they don't move an inch when you have tightened them and i think they would suit you perfectly

Hi Charlie, I've just googled the roadpro, and their nearly 18", which is much longer than the average so called long boom. I had thought that I'd need about 24" , maybe I'm not being realistic in my expectations (or I need to learn how to weld) .

Height isn't so much of an issue for me. So I must get my hands on some hardware, a measuring tape, and figure out as accurately as poss, just how much extension I need. Hopefully the roadpro will be long enough.

I see with your new rack, you are also in search of your own Hardware Heaven!

Many thanks!

My Roadpro stand came with what I would call a fairly long boom arm. Hopefully those work out for you. If not, you could try getting a Ludwig Scissorlift or something to clamp on to the end of the arm.

My Roadpro stand came with what I would call a fairly long boom arm. Hopefully those work out for you. If not, you could try getting a Ludwig Scissorlift or something to clamp on to the end of the arm.

Thanks Porter! . . . . . . .I wasn't aware of the Scissorlift!. Just checked them out, an impressive piece of engineering, they look very substantial. Guess as they support heavy cymbals they need to be. But figure they might look incongruous on the end of a slim boom, and attached to a visually unimpressive Ecymbal! . . . . .but thank you anyway, I'm still learning!

Yamaha makes a long boom with a counter-weight on the butt end for added stability.

I have a 700 series Yammie boom stand with a parallel clamp attached with a regular tilter top attached. There are two twenty inch rides securely supported by this apparatus, I'm not sure why you'd need something longer unless your cymbals are scattered far and wide. Cymbal pads would be even lighter I would think.

Yamaha makes a long boom with a counter-weight on the butt end for added stability.

I have a 700 series Yammie boom stand with a parallel clamp attached with a regular tilter top attached. There are two twenty inch rides securely supported by this apparatus, I'm not sure why you'd need something longer unless your cymbals are scattered far and wide. Cymbal pads would be even lighter I would think.

Hi johnnylaw, yes I've seen that Yamaha with the counter-weight boom, it's the 8oo series I believe, a real heavy weight, with double everything, but you know Yamaha don't say how long the boom arm is, although all the other specs are given. It looks like it might be their longest boom, but pics can be deceiving, I will be buying sight unseen, two of each,so I want to get it right! . . .I

The 700 series don't disclose the boom arm length either ( I think the 600 stated their long boom is only 12", which would make things too tight for me) I've asked Yamaha on the Facebook to clarify, but their response was less than helpful.

If I could upload my pic from my desktop it might explain what I'm trying to achieve. But this option doesn't seem to be available when I'm posting, it asks me to enter an URL, but I've seen pics on here that people must have uploaded from their PC's, so what am I missing?

Anyway! . . .Would you be kind enough to tell me how long the boom arm is on your 700 stand? . . .and at the risk of sounding like a complete ********, is a parallel clamp anything like a multi-clamp? . . . . . .

Basically I just need to be able to hang a DTX pad, and cymbal off the same stand, But I want the choice of really good separation between the two. If only I could show you the pic, you'd see what I'm bitchin' about !

Ludwig LM931BCS. I've had them for a couple decades now. Great buy. You can't get any more reach from a telescopic boom.

Thanks Drumsinhisheart! . . . .yes I've just checked it out, like the 800 Yammy it's top of the range, and a real handsome piece of engineering, also expensive and very heavy! . .. .but like all the other manufactures, they're too coy to say how long the boom is.

I was hoping to get light single braced stuff, pref Yamaha, so that I'm confident that they will accept the DTX pads. You maybe have gathered that I'm not knowledgeable regarding the various hardware fitting's and compatibly between manufactures.

Guess it's time I called Yamaha UK, and got someone to measure their range of boom stands, before I become an inmate in a long term institution.

Last edited:
Thanks to Dre25 advice I have now managed to upload a pic of what looks to me like a seriously long boom arm . . .. . . the goggles are optional.

Attachments

• LongBoom.jpg
    LongBoom.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 152
As you can see, these long booms really give great flexibility and freedom, to arrange the cymbals wherever you want them, even if you were to add more drums, at a later date.

Attachments

• PRAIRE PRINCE DTX STANDS.jpg
    PRAIRE PRINCE DTX STANDS.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 150
here's what to do for pictures:

1) go to User CP in the top left up there ^^

2) go to "Pictures & Albums" under the "Networking" section of the toolbar on the left

3) click on the "Click here to create an album" link, type in the info, and click submit

4) click "add pictures" and use the selection buttons to get the picture off of your computer

5) click on the picture that you uploaded, and below the picture in its enlarged view, there should be both a URL and a pre-baked IMG code to put in your post. you can use either.

Hopefully that helps.

here's what to do for pictures:

1) go to User CP in the top left up there ^^

2) go to "Pictures & Albums" under the "Networking" section of the toolbar on the left

3) click on the "Click here to create an album" link, type in the info, and click submit

4) click "add pictures" and use the selection buttons to get the picture off of your computer

5) click on the picture that you uploaded, and below the picture in its enlarged view, there should be both a URL and a pre-baked IMG code to put in your post. you can use either.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanking you porter for the detailed instructions! . . .very much appreciated, thank you!

PDPCB900. Picked one up about a month ago brand new for $32 at a local store (not GC).
That is a 20" ride sitting on it. Is it long enough?

Attachments

• PDPCB900.jpg
    PDPCB900.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 139
The Roadpro can definitely do that. Here's mine, with a 20" HHX Omni on it:

DSC_0375.JPG

PDPCB900. Picked one up about a month ago brand new for $32 at a local store (not GC).
That is a 20" ride sitting on it. Is it long enough?

Yes that looks the biz, just checked it out, double braced legs heavy duty stand. And you got it at a very good price, many thanks Mrinsane!

The Roadpro can definitely do that. Here's mine, with a 20" HHX Omni on it:

DSC_0375.JPG

Hi Porter, yes like Mrinsane yours also has 20" cymbals, which might explain how the visual perception of boom length, is effected by cymbal size.

The pic of 'Praire Prince, and what looks like a even longer boom than normal, might be a slight visual illusion, I'm not sure what focal length lens was used, maybe a tad wider than standard. But not enough to distort perspective too much anyway.

When I compare the pic of your boom and cymbal, to PPrince, his ecymbal being only a 10" makes his boom look longer, natch. Your cymbal at twice the size, makes the boom look shorter, it's a matter of scale. It's very possible that both booms are the same length.

Or maybe I should get back to my therapist and medication!

Back