Stephen Taylor

timothybean

Hello everyone,

I asked this question earlier but was told to post here. I love Drummerworld and have used it since I was nineteen...and skipping class to watch drumming videos in the computer lab. I was wondering how to go about nominating a drummer for the site? I am new to posting here, so I hope I am not doing this incorrectly. If I am, please let me know. I mostly lurk. Haha.

There are a few I was surprised to NOT see archived (Rick Allen? A one-handed drummer?) but I finally decided to say something when I didn't see my favorite drummer on here. Stephen Taylor.
He's a session drummer in Nashville. He's played with dozens of artists (Lovers and Liars, Meshach Jackson, Danielle Peck, Vasti Jackson to name a few) and has online drum clinics. I was wondering how I go about nominating someone? Not trying to promote for him, just want to see he gets his due.

Also, let's get Rick Allen on there too. He's got ONE ARM for the love of God! ;)

Tim

Inclusion on the list has always been at Bernhard's discretion, and I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions - it's really hard to know where to draw the line. Is it popularity and exposure? Is it skills? Is there an extenuating circumstance, such as being very young, very old, or having what most would consider being a handicap to a drummer?

I don't know who Stephen Taylor is, and maybe I should be embarrassed by not knowing who any of the artists listed are. But let's talk about Rick. Should he be included just because he has one arm? (Don't forget, he started with both arms wih Def Leppard...) or should there be other criteria applied regardless of his remarkable comeback after losing the arm? Again, glad I don't have to decide!

But I too am a little surprised Rick isn't included, although I regard him as a drummer first, and overcoming a serious detriment to playing, second.

Bermuda

In fairness to the OP, Stephen Taylor, and to keep expanding my horizons, I tried to find some info online, and could only find Taylor's website promoting his lessons. Didn't see a link for a bio or other info, and his site locked-up my browser before I could click around.

Any info on him? Perhaps he's a name I need to know!

Bermuda

Never heard of him or the bands you mentioned so I vote NO. Popularity is a result of your resume as a drummer in some part. I had heard of studio greats Jim Keltner and Hal Blaine before I ever visited this site and taa daaa, their on here. You tube and obscure studio work should not be a requisite for this site. Also Rick to me isn't/wasn't good enough as a drummer to be on here. Yes he lost an arm, but just kind of a middle of the road pro.

Thanks for all the input.

Bermuda, you raise an excellent point...which is why I nominated him. He's a Nashville session drummer, so he's been on tons of records, but he also has thousands of online students. I thought that would be enough to merit his inclusion. Can you promote someone for influence? Out of all the drumming tutors I have seen on YouTube, no one creates as professional and educational lessons as Taylor does. I know because I looked all over.

As far as Rick Allen, JUST being a one-armed drummer isn't enough to put him in the archive, but if you've ever seen him play, there's no drummer alive that creates patterns and licks combining acoustic and electric drums as well. The creativity involved with keeping up his profession is staggering. That's why I think he should be included.

Strangely enough, I am not a huge Def Leopard fan, but I recognize the skills.

Tim

but he also has thousands of online students. I thought that would be enough to merit his inclusion. Can you promote someone for influence?

Certainly one's influence on other drummers, or music, is important, and there are a number of educators on the list. Whether Taylor is in their league is strictly Bernhard's call.

Bermuda

Bermuda, absolutely right.

Gold, I sent an email to Bernard already, so I did follow your advice. Thanks for checking up!

Back