Max Roach

The HH work was stupid good :)

Every Tuesday night, the BF and I go to our local bar/hangout for bike night. They've got the best jukebox in town which includes selections by Mr. Roach. I always play at least one :) This was a great lead in to my Tuesday night!

Wow Mary, I never took you as a Max fan. I know you're listening to the right stuff!

YouTube also has the entire concert posted where this solo was taken from and the band's first tune was just stupid fast. Max even introduced it that back when he played with Parker and Gillespie, among others, they would always play the fastest song first. And you think Will Kennedy with the Yellowjackets are on speed? Max's band was absolutely flying for the first number of the night! And there's Mr. Roach, looking proper in that suit, not even breaking a sweat! Incredible ;)

Yeah, Max was the man. I think of all the drummers from the bebop era, Max was my favorite at expressing the really fast uptempo stuff. He just seemed to articulate his ideas so well, even at those breakneck speeds.

A funny story by Bill Cosby (himself a jazz drummer) and how Max "saved" him one night. http://youtu.be/1Zn-P0ZH3_M

I think Duke did a concert in a Cathedral..

yep
"On December 26th 1965, Duke Ellington took the stage at the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church in New York City for a performance of what he would call the most important work he had ever done."
and that's Louie Bellson..
Lena%20Horne%20and%20Duke.jpg

~

Back to Max- Listen to "Money Jungle"
Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Max Roach
hip trio 1963

Last edited:
Reactions: jda
"Kenny my friend, calls his band the "New Hip Band"

he just got the left one replaced last Saturday.

View attachment 139275
You can be cool but you’ll never be Max-Roach-in-a-suit-and-sunglasses-inside-a-church-playing-jazz cool!

He is the man who changed the way we all play drums!

Check him out if you don’t know who he is.
Max is definitely the headliner but that black sparkle Gretsch kit with the perfectly tilted cymbals and ultra cool tilt to the logo might upstage a lesser man..what a lusty kit!.

Now , as ..WE all can see , only Max Roach could ..mange and play ..with.. other drumming styles.,!!.
Yes , Ginger Baker the .,Blues-Rock beats ..plus., Tony Williams the New Modern Be-Bop .,!!,.-

- ,MAX ROACH ..dr ,.TONY WILLIAMS ,.dr ,.GINGER BAKER,.dr..
''PERCUSSION SUMMIT'' + M'.Boom Re Percussion Ensamble Live in
Verona ,Italy 1995 t.1h,32'*

Back