Ddrum Dominion vs. Gretsch Catalina Maple

D Drum has quality control issues,and are a relativly new acoustic drum maker.Go with Gretsch or Tama,who have been building quality drums a lot longer.The Tama superstars are a birch shell compared to the maple Gretsch,and will sound different,so you're comparing apples to oranges.Both will sound good,but different,so your ear has to be the judge.Neither in my opinion is better than the other......just different.

Steve B

All three kits have a different tom lay out and size difference.

What sizes is best is based strictly on your preference.

The Tama is the better "deal" since it comes with cymbals. If you can live with that finish, only you can know.

The Gretch is expandable, since it's still in production.

As for which is "best" pretty much every drum kit in that price range is made from shells from the same factory, so the differences are minor.

If I had to choose from the 3, I'd take the Gretch. But that is based on my biases as to sizes and color.

In order of preference I'd choose Gretsch, then Tama, then Ddrum.
Gretsch - nicer finish, better resale value, larger deeper floor tom(s), maple
Tama - finish is killer (but might not work for the 'wedding band' gigs). The 14 x 10 floor tom is neat but kinda small for me.

Yodan, I have a Tama EFX kit, only mine is white satin flame. I will tell you that they are really great drums. The quality is first rate. The bearing edges (at least on mine) are as good as they get. The chrome plating on the die cast rims and lugs etc. is first class. I have just recently owned a Mapex Saturn and I currently own a Gretsch Renown that I'm comparing my Superstars to and they do not take a back seat to either in terms of quality build. Really well made drums. The choice is really up to you and sizes and finish need to be taken into consideration. Good luck. John

I'd say go with either the Gretsch or the Tama. I've used Tamas over the years and they've always held up but that finish! What were they thinking? You might want to consider the Mapex Meridian line of maple sets as well. As to DDrum, I've pretty much written them off due to multiple problems with their total lack of quality control. They probably won't be in the market too much longer. There's just too much competition from reputable drum companies.

I had it down between a Gretsch catalina maple and DDrum about 5 years back. I don't know how DDrum's product has changed since then but I am so very happy I went with the catalina maple.

I haven't seen much success with DDrum either.
I like the Tama in this case, but that is me.
Remember heads will make a huge difference too.

Good Luck, spend the bucks!!!

I'm actually a fan of ddrum's products. I used to have a Diablo Punx kit, and it sounds great. This isn't aimed at anyone particular, but I think ddrum gets a bad rap just because they're a really new company. It was founded in the early 80s I believe, and only made electronic drum accessories. I don't think they made actual kits until the mid-nineties (don't quote me on that).

I've never had anything break on a ddrum kit, and they always sound nice. In fact, the Diablo Punx kit I had sounded better than a lot of Pearl kits I've played on.

What I'm saying is: don't listen to people who have a lot of negativity toward ddrum, or any company. Try them yourself. But if it comes down to ddrum vs any newer Gretsch kit, I'll pick ddrum everytime. But those older Grestch kits can't be beaten, except maybe by Sonor.

I have seen 2 Ddrum kits that looked and sounded great (my teacher owns them).

Love my catalinas and tamas equally and a little more though.

The Premiers are nice except the floor tom isn't a match. I think the kit is an old XPK or APK. I wouldn't touch the other one. As for Catalina vs. Ddrum, Gretsch hands down.

Gretsch Catalina Maple vs. Catalina Club Rock

I also found a catalina club rock but which one whould be better?(I like playing funk styles of music)

In my opinion, yes. Premier made great stuff back then. Just check it out in person and judge for yourself.

I also suggest going to Dave's drum shop. He's got some great stuff in stock and lots of used/vintage as well.

I agree about checking for yourself but you should learn from the mistakes of others as well. In the case of Ddrum, I bought one of their "Grey Ghost" snares. I noticed soon afterward that the powdercoat on 4 of the lugs was "bubbled" for lack of a better word. The finish on the lugs looked like it had air bubbles under it. I tried out the drum anyway and I liked the sound. I thought that I'd try different heads. This is when I discovered that was a really sloppy weld on the >outside< of the drum where they had seamed the shell together. I've done welding and this was the worst finishing job that I've ever seen. They chose to hide this god-awful exterior weld by placing one of the tuning lugs where the tuning bolt would obscure the sloppy welding job. I've never seen this in any other drum that I've owned in over 40 years of drumming. There is NO excuse for this shoddy a grade of workmanship. Be careful when you buy brands like Ddrum. Don't buy any of their products without closely inspecting them first. If at all possible go with an established brand.

Sonor S-Class vs. Gretsch Catalina Maple vs. Tama Superstar

Sonor S-Class 10,12,14,20 maple shell pack. Made in Germany. Only $699 vs. Gretsch Catalina Maple vs. Tama Superstar shell pack. 11,13,16,22 and snare cast hoops! Only $399

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....73693859360.64313.57239199360&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....73693859360.64313.57239199360&type=1&theater

http://www.davesdrumshop.com/Acoustic-Drums/Sets/Gretsch+Catalina+Maple+6+pc+Set+Ebony

Which one would be better?
also found:
Premier 18,12,14 made in the UK. Cool little set $499

I'd go with the Tama,and buy better cymbals.But you have to get over the "which is better" thing.At a certain price point,most of these drums made by established drum companys are just different...........NOT better.The difference is for the most part in sound, due to shell material,and quality of the bearing edge cut.Thats why I said to stay away from Ddrum.Some of their stuff is ok,but EVERY drum shop I use has told me the same thing.Quality control is just a rumor.In other words,NOT anywhere near consistant.

Go with Tama,Gretsch ect.,and again,comparing a maple shell to a birch shell,is apples and oranges.......they will both sound good,but different,and NOT better.

Steve B

I'd go with the Tama,and buy better cymbals.But you have to get over the "which is better" thing.At a certain price point,most of these drums made by established drum companys are just different...........NOT better.The difference is for the most part in sound, due to shell material,and quality of the bearing edge cut.Thats why I said to stay away from Ddrum.Some of their stuff is ok,but EVERY drum shop I use has told me the same thing.Quality control is just a rumor.In other words,NOT anywhere near consistant.

Go with Tama,Gretsch ect.,and again,comparing a maple shell to a birch shell,is apples and oranges.......they will both sound good,but different,and NOT better.

Steve B

Back