Ricky Wellman

Re: Ricky Wellman?

Great drummer. I rarely hear him mentioned these days. Thanks for bringing his name to the attention of others.

Where is this guy? Man, he is a phenomenal drummer. I've never seen anyone unload more timely than this fellow. Where is he?!

I emailed directly about this very issue a number of years back and got no response.

Wellman is one of the greatest groove players in history, you only have to listen to his work with Miles to appreciate this.

He was with Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers before joining Miles, he's essentially the godfather of the original Go Go groove, and the guy Miles replaced Al Foster with.

Check out the following:

Miles 1 intense driving groove.

Miles 2 Human Nature - Paris 91, turning up the heat gradually, wait for it.

Miles 3 Hannibal - 1990 Montreux, deep pocket

Vote for Ricky!! : )

ricky has polio in his right leg when he soloed he soloed with his right only using one floor bass drum when he soloed its sounded like horses running a sound of the pledge of drummers as in stanley clarke the pledge of basses, he should be honored along with lenny white billy colham i know because watched him at show with chuck b. and was the bassist for symblic fuck that curtis johnson who played with many yrs with ricky started.

Back