Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

I think it depends on what you want from the pedal. What sort of music do you play? If you wanted just speed, go for Axis Longboards.

No I for sure don't need Axis long boards. I'm personally really into death, death core, grind core etc etc but I'm not sure that I will be religiously playing that style of music so I don't need something that will allow me to do 280 bpm lol. Though I do like to sit there and just play double bass while adding in 1/8 or 1/16 notes on the hi hat, ride/bell, snare and so on. I never really tried to test myself with a metronome yet, which I guess I should be doing and should be ashamed that I haven't. Although I have messed with it to give me something to get creative with and to test myself with rudiments. I need to get more sticks soon as I am completely out, so when I do I'll see what I top out at and update here when I'm done.

Actually TBH since getting back behind a kit I don't find myself playing any certain type of music and really I'm sort of just taking my time, wondering through the drumming world right now. 11 years ago I played a lot of classic rock, hard rock and nu-metal like Korn, Rage etc. Though now with being exposed to the proper tools of drumming I find I just like to sit and be creative, while playing to a song here and there. Which I could never do 11 years ago. I could play music but when it came to coming up with fills or doing paradiddles on the hat, snare and bass...... nope I would sit there like a dope lol.

I really like the creativity of Gospel chops as I have never seen that stuff before. You'll see a drummer every now and then really over use these chops as fills but when played the right way it's just awesome! Though that's where my troubles start to come into play. I can't do double strokes on the bass drum that quick while heel up or with heel toe with these beaters. I had the tension up quite a bit to get these massive beaters to rebound more quickly but because of the weight of the beaters, foot board and added tension it just gave me too much trouble on the down beat. So after having it like that for quite a few months, I recently put the spring to medium to low tension and with the beaters quite a ways back to keep some tension on it. It definitely helped with the doubles and making my leg last longer but now it's too loose and the beater is too heavy to go any faster. I want the spring and natural friction of the bearing giving me resistence, not massive beaters. Although I'm sure with higher priced and better made pedals, beater weight wouldn't make much of a difference. Also speed doesn't have to apply to just metal music, Gospel chops, fills etc along with allowing your right foot to go as fast as you right hand does while playing paradiddles is needed as well.

I'm just going to get some new beaters, mess with the adjustments on these 3000's some more and see what happens. I'll update with my bpm with the current config and then update after I get new beaters for these pedals.

Ok well I'm not sure if I did this right but I feel like I am maxing out at 220 with 16th notes but I'm not sure, so don't kill me if I'm wrong lol!!. I'm still quite new to counting notes and especially double bass. I highly doubt I can do 32nd notes though lol and that's at any speed right now.

I recorded myself playing to 220 bpm with my Zoom H1. I'm gonna make a thread and hopefully get some feedback. Maybe you all can confirm that what I played was in fact 16th notes at 220. I might just be fooling myself though haha! :p

I'll come back and post the link to the thread after I'm done....

I presently own a DW 9000 Dbl pedal, DW 5000 Dbl pedal, DW 8000 Dbl pedal, Pearl Eliminator Dbl pedal, Tama Iron Cobra Dbl pedal, Trick Dbl Pro V-1 pedal and recently purchased the Ludwig Atlas Pro Double pedal. Out of all the double pedals I own, I find the new Atlas Pro pedal to be the smoothest, fastest, most accomodating of the lot. They all have their inherant qualities but if I had to make a choice out of the bunch on which one I would ultimately choose to take to a gig or recording session, I would take the Atlas Pro pedal. Not only is the manufacturing quality top rate (as are the others) but the feel and aesthetics are also the best IMHO. Though a pedal will not necessarily make you a better drummer per say, I feel that features offered but the Ludwig Atlas Pro enhances what talents I already bring to the table. Price wise the Atlas pro is comparable to that of the DW 9000. Definately not a cheap pedal but then again it will depend on what pricepoint you are at. A truley professional piece of equipment to say the least.

Attachments

• Ludwig Atlas Pro LAP12FPR Double Pedal.jpg
    Ludwig Atlas Pro LAP12FPR Double Pedal.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 7,538
Last edited:
I recently bough a PEARL P-902 "Power-Shifter"(Double Pedal)... and I really liked it, great control, helps you to reach highter speed.

I know it seems simpler than the concurrents DW3002, GIBRALTAR "Avenger", MAPEX P-710.......But is WAY BETTER, and only a little more expensive (less than 60US$ more expensive than the other pedals, -in Brazil-)

In my opinion the best REAL PEDAL that you can start with.

Thank You, vfujidrums

I've tried out a few bass pedals before settling on one. I tried the pdp cheap-o's, Gibralter Avengers, Pearl Powershifters (too light for me), DW 9000's and 7000's (too heavy for me), and the tama Iron Cobras (too heavy). I finally settled on the Tama Speedcobras and they are increadible. Long boards for more playing surface to find that sweet spot and i can use heel-toe easier, lots of power and just right for me in terms of how heavy or light they feel.

But of course everyones feet are different and no pedal is perfect for everybody

I own the Mapex Falcon double pedal. I dont know if its "the best" double bass pedal, but its pretty darn quick, smooth, and is better than any other pedal ive used because of how light it is. Also comes with adjustable beaters

I've never owned or played much of anything but a Tama Iron Cobra. They are a good pedal and im happy with it. But i would guess its not "the best" double kick pedal you can buy. Even though the price keeps sky rocketing on them brand new. I always hear great things about the DW's.

The best double pedal depends on the person who's playing them. Over the years I've used, DW, Pearl Demon Drives, Axis A's but I've finally settled on Duallist D1(2 singles) and D2 pedals (double pedal.) For me Duallist have the perfect balance of speed and response. They are very light pedals (made from Tough DupontTM Zytel engineering polymer) but they dont sacrifice power for the lightness. This is why I got an endorsement with them, they are excellent pedals and I highly recommend them to every drummer.

For me it's Axis pedals…play the longboards and really like them alot!…it did take about two weeks for me to get them adjusted/set up, but once I got the settings where I liked them, I was completely sold on them..used DW9000's prior to my switch..another good pedal, but I prefer Axis...

There's really no best double bass drum pedal! Just a lot of options for us drummers and what fits you the best. After all, it's all about your techniques and skills that will matter!

My choice is the TAMA Speed Cobra Twin Pedal!!

Attachments

• Speed Cobra.jpg
    Speed Cobra.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 10,617
I presently own a DW 9000 Dbl pedal, DW 5000 Dbl pedal, DW 8000 Dbl pedal, Pearl Eliminator Dbl pedal, Tama Iron Cobra Dbl pedal, Trick Dbl Pro V-1 pedal and recently purchased the Ludwig Atlas Pro Double pedal. Out of all the double pedals I own, I find the new Atlas Pro pedal to be the smoothest, fastest, most accomodating of the lot. They all have their inherant qualities but if I had to make a choice out of the bunch on which one I would ultimately choose to take to a gig or recording session, I would take the Atlas Pro pedal. Not only is the manufacturing quality top rate (as are the others) but the feel and aesthetics are also the best IMHO. Though a pedal will not necessarily make you a better drummer per say, I feel that features offered but the Ludwig Atlas Pro enhances what talents I already bring to the table. Price wise the Atlas pro is comparable to that of the DW 9000. Definately not a cheap pedal but then again it will depend on what pricepoint you are at. A truley professional piece of equipment to say the least.

They look solid.........it's great to see Ludwig putting out some quality hardware. I personally love the Iron Cobra.........been using them for years with no complaints.

Totally have to recommend Trick pedals. It took me a while to find them.
Started on my drum teacher's Iron Cobras, moved to a pair of my own Eliminators (chain drive) for about 2 years, then I tried the DW 9000s for about a year, moved back to Iron Cobras for 2 weeks and hated them, then back to the trusty Eliminators for another year or so.
After all that I finally found the Trick Bigfoot Pro1-V double pedals and I've been using them for 4 years now. I can't stress enough how good these pedals are.
I use them for metal, usually fairly fast and complex patterns, but they excel at playing heavy as well. I love hitting hard as the drums sound amazing this way, and same goes for the bass drum. These pedals allow you to play hard or fast or both with precise control.
If you've got the money then you should definitely give these a go.

I hear a lot about the tricks and if I had that kind of money or the playing ability to match it , I would go for them. However back to reality my two favorites right now in dubs are the tama speed cobra even though it is light it has a lot of power and the dw 9002

Another vote for the Tricks, but the Dominators. What I noticed about the pedal is the power. Played on an acoustic kit and the force of the metal beater hit is noticeable. You can also play really fast on them, which is primarily what I was looking for

- Reggae Mangle

The best double pedal depends on the person who's playing them. Over the years I've used, DW, Pearl Demon Drives, Axis A's but I've finally settled on Duallist D1(2 singles) and D2 pedals (double pedal.) For me Duallist have the perfect balance of speed and response. They are very light pedals (made from Tough DupontTM Zytel engineering polymer) but they dont sacrifice power for the lightness. This is why I got an endorsement with them, they are excellent pedals and I highly recommend them to every drummer.

Of course the duallist has speed, it hits the head twice!! Once on the way down and again on the way back up.....:)

Tim Waterson will tell you that it doesn't matter. Ever see him on Youtube? He has fast feet and in one video he shows himself playing really fast with a total piece of crap pedal. His point was that it's the player more so than the pedal. I kinda agree, but every little bit helps, so haveing a nice pedal has it's advantages, i would say.

Demon Drives all the way. Axis might be better for speed, but its much better to learn to speed up at ur own pace, for which the DDs are perfect. Slave lag is minimal. Design is heavenly. Love 'em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBMcjGzJY0

This is a video I did of heel-toes on my Trick Dominators. I find playing without using my arms makes it difficult to maintain balance. But these pedals are really easy to stick to and bounce with.

- Reggae Mangle

Back