If you were bankrupt, starving and cold, could YOU burn your kit to keep you alive?

I have three old spare Pearl toms in the garage. Maybe I'll use them tomorrow for firestarter in my wood stove.

BTW - what's the thickest diameter drum sticks you can buy? Maybe something like Tommy Chong played? ;)

Hell, if it came down to it, I would eat children to stay alive. I mean, I'm not a freak or anything, I'd eat neighborhood kids before I'd ever eat my own kids.

This is the type of etiquette that separates us from barbarians.

-John

There's an elephant in the room here.
In that case, I'm not worried. Do you have any idea how much heat an elephant can generate in an enclosed space? Nobody mentioned the elephant. So it's settled. Elephant for heat, neighborhood kids for eating. And you still get to play drums!

If you really were bankrupt, isn't it likely that your drums would have been taken away by bailiffs in the first place?
Let's hope not. They may ask questions about the elephant in your room. I think you might need a permit.

Drummers in Florida probably won't need to burn their drums to stay warm.

Hell yeah.

182538_4835280207891_915661423_n.jpg

First, that question alone is... unthinkable.
Now if I _had_ to decide...
Having 8 guitars/basses I'd say from a drumming perspective I'd first burn a few guitars to save my drums.
From a guitarist's perspective I might claim to do it vice versa ;-) Haha, but it's certainly a dilemma.
Does studio gear burn? Because I do have some of that stuff, too. I'd surely cry burning anything out of what I have now.

Drummers in Florida probably won't need to burn their drums to stay warm.

Remember that we consider 65 fahrenheit cold ;)
I have enough used up drumsticks to survive any situation. I could string them together and make a raft or use them as firewood, or arrows\spears...

Actually, I have been bankrupt, starving and cold, but I didn't burn my kit to keep myself alive.

Instead, I sold my comic book collection - 2 copies each of every Marvel and DC superhero comic published from 1961 thru 1979. It was worth a hell of a lot more than my 1958 Ludwig Super Classic kit (black diamond pearl wrap), and not only did the sale keep me alive, it gave me enough to live on for a couple of years.

It was a tough call, though. Back when I split from my 2nd wife I drove off to a new life in Santa Fe, NM with a suitcase full of underwear, my Navajo dog, the comic collection, and the drum kit. At the time, I couldn't imagine living without any of that. Well, maybe I could've done without the underwear, but I doubt anyone would've bought it.

I once had to sell a Noble & Cooley Horizon series kit to pay some bills.Never burn your drums you can always sell or barter with them. Our drum shells are made from logs so you could use one for firewood if you had to.

Remember that we consider 65 fahrenheit cold ;)
I have enough used up drumsticks to survive any situation. I could string them together and make a raft or use them as firewood, or arrows\spears...

too bad Tom Hanks wasn't a drummer in the movie where he's stranded on an island.....

If I was that destitute, the drums would have been long gone. I'm a survivor first. The rest is
icing on the cake.

Back