New Istanbul Agop 22" Signature...

Karl, I'm going to throw a monkey-wrench in here regarding the Agop Turk.

Anybody who has read my cymbal posts knows I'm an Agop freak. My favorites are the Signature and Special Edition Jazz rides (especially the TW) but I also own and dig the Traditional line (especially the medium hats), Mel Lewis, Sultan, Vezir, 25th Anniversary, and Limited Edition '06 (hell, that's almost all the cymbal lines, huh?). And I love 'em from super thin to (relatively) heavy. Heck, I've even got an Agop prototype or two hanging around.

Anyway, regarding Turks, I prefer the Bosphorus Turks, especially the Master Turks. Before you decide on a Turk ride, whether it's a 20" or a 22", please listen to Tony's soundfiles of the Bosphorus.

And I think they mix well with the Agop Sigs and SEs.

Karl, I'm going to throw a monkey-wrench in here regarding the Agop Turk.

Anybody who has read my cymbal posts knows I'm an Agop freak. My favorites are the Signature and Special Edition Jazz rides (especially the TW) but I also own and dig the Traditional line (especially the medium hats), Mel Lewis, Sultan, Vezir, 25th Anniversary, and Limited Edition '06 (hell, that's almost all the cymbal lines, huh?). And I love 'em from super thin to (relatively) heavy. Heck, I've even got an Agop prototype or two hanging around.

Anyway, regarding Turks, I prefer the Bosphorus Turks, especially the Master Turks. Before you decide on a Turk ride, whether it's a 20" or a 22", please listen to Tony's soundfiles of the Bosphorus.

And I think they mix well with the Agop Sigs and SEs.

Here's my take on the 2 for what it's worth based on what i've heard in the flesh:

I've done a direct sound comparison to a 20" Bos Masters Turk locally in the context of a musical situation and I like dry quality but with a greater degree of wash/spread with combined on top woody stick click of my 2250g 22" Turk Jazz ride for my ear. The Bos Masters Turk was a little to dry in character for me with lots of stick but a little less wash than my liking Bill but still a nice cymbal don't get me wrong. Personal choice on this as with all cymbals for each individual player based on individual sample to sample variations for sure in the mix.

In reality can't go wrong with either if you find just the right one for your ear and touch so agree Karl should check them all out if going for a Turk down the road.

Speaking of the Agop addiction yes I too have the whole range of their cymbal lines well covered too Bill :} I think you've set the bar though :}

Thanks mate...mh. I don`t exactly know why I finally chose this 2173g Signature instead of the 2188g SE I had in mind.
Actually I really like the fact that the pitch of my Sig is soo low. Compared to the SE this difference is a million miles big.
Moreover I like the additional dryness and the woody stick definition of the Sig. That finally had to convince me and I`m happy I did it this way. ;-)

Thanks for the comments! And sorry for the delayed response...

Karl

I really quite liked the 2188g SE you where going for, but the call of the sigs is just too much, or just get both :) Yes my 21" sig has quite a low pitch too at 1856g.
I can't wait to keep expanding my AGOP collection.

Here's my take on the 2 for what it's worth based on what i've heard in the flesh:

I've done a direct sound comparison to a 20" Bos Masters Turk locally in the context of a musical situation and I like dry quality but with a greater degree of wash/spread with combined on top woody stick click of my 2250g 22" Turk Jazz ride for my ear. The Bos Masters Turk was a little to dry in character for me with lots of stick but a little less wash than my liking Bill but still a nice cymbal don't get me wrong. Personal choice on this as with all cymbals for each individual player based on individual sample to sample variations for sure in the mix.

In reality can't go wrong with either if you find just the right one for your ear and touch so agree Karl should check them all out if going for a Turk down the road.

Speaking of the Agop addiction yes I too have the whole range of their cymbal lines well covered too Bill :} I think you've set the bar though :}

You're right about the individual player's ear. I think the main reasons I like the Bos Turk are the serious dryness and lack of wash and trash (I know, blasphemy to the true Agop-o-phile!).

Then again, I'm also a huge Paiste fan......

You're right about the individual player's ear. I think the main reasons I like the Bos Turk are the serious dryness and lack of wash and trash (I know, blasphemy to the true Agop-o-phile!).

Then again, I'm also a huge Paiste fan......

All is good Bill and it certainly comes down to individual choices as it will with any further choice by Karl :}

P. S. Noticed a wack of recently arrived Agops up on the CymbalsOnly site today including a whole bunch of new 22" SE TW's and some lightweight 24" regular SE rides. Some very nice Epoch and 25th Anniversary rides too. More of that sweet Turkish Agop "trash" to check out :}.

We have seriously hijacked Karl's thread.

So, to continue the hijack, I think an Epoch may be next on my list. I have one of the prototypes but the end product is different (especially visually).

I've got a couple of Vaughncraft snare drum shells to finish before I spend any more money on cymbals.

We have seriously hijacked Karl's thread.

So, to continue the hijack, I think an Epoch may be next on my list. I have one of the prototypes but the end product is different (especially visually).

I've got a couple of Vaughncraft snare drum shells to finish before I spend any more money on cymbals.

No Kidding :}

My 3025g Epoch is one of my current favorites Bill. Good luck with any future pies.

Back to Karl's lovely new 2173g green label Signature ride. Looking forward to hearing some sound files of his whole Agop set down the road.

Haha!
Since you are Agop hijackers I don`t really mind. =)

Well, about the Turks: I have to admit that I seriously love the wash of those Agop Turk Rides. I currently own a Zidljian K Custom 22" Dry Light Ride. It is ultra-dry as you can hear on my bad, old recording on my myspace site. I would love a dry ride with a mellow wash, wobbling and so dark...like an Agop. My god, I really fell in love with all the inventory I guess. :-D

Maybe I just sell my Zildjian for the Agop Turk. I`ll see.

Sound clips will hopefully follow soon!

Thanks so much!

I really quite liked the 2188g SE you where going for, but the call of the sigs is just too much, or just get both :) Yes my 21" sig has quite a low pitch too at 1856g.
I can't wait to keep expanding my AGOP collection.

Yes, the SE was a beauty, too. After some time listening to the clip I just tended to dislike the high pitch and preferred the darker Sig.
Ha, and getting both would actually just be too much for me!

So you got an extra-thin 21". That must play like a mellowtone...and must be quite dry.

Enjoy!!

Karl

Here are some more pics...(sorry for the bad quality):

100_1531.jpg

100_1533.jpg

100_1532.jpg

100_1527.jpg

Karl

Which kit do you mainly play now Karl? The TAMA of Basix? Due to the sizes i would probably use the Basix too, or at least the kick.

Which kit do you mainly play now Karl? The TAMA of Basix? Due to the sizes i would probably use the Basix too, or at least the kick.

Well, the Basix is my only kit at the moment. I finally sold my Tama weeks ago and I`m now waiting for a custom beech kit. I found a German drum builder who makes beautiful custom works. I gonna get a 3-piece: 18x14" bass drum, 12x08" tom and 14x14" tom. The matching snare will follow.

For further information and photos you can visit the website: www.cube-drums.de

Karl

Well, the Basix is my only kit at the moment. I finally sold my Tama weeks ago and I`m now waiting for a custom beech kit. I found a German drum builder who makes beautiful custom works. I gonna get a 3-piece: 18x14" bass drum, 12x08" tom and 14x14" tom. The matching snare will follow.

For further information and photos you can visit the website: www.cube-drums.de

Karl

Ahh, yes I've been following but i didn't think you had sold the TAMA yet. I've seen his work before. That bubinga kit is beautiful!! How long till your's is done?

Ahh, yes I've been following but i didn't think you had sold the TAMA yet. I've seen his work before. That bubinga kit is beautiful!! How long till your's is done?

Yeah, it was quite hard to sell it. I realized that it`s generally difficult to sell used gear at a fair price. Though I eventually made it.

Regarding the building time I`m a bit worried. Since there seem to occur globalisation and the resurgent individualism many people would like a kit.
Logically he now has slight problems with the delivery of the beech shells which are produced directly in Germany (Sindelfingen). Furthermore the hardware and even the Remo heads delivered with delay.
If everything works out like planned it should be finished within 1 or 1 1/2 months.

I`ll keep you updated about it! =)

Karl

Hi!

Yesterday I finally had the brilliant chance to try my Agops with the piano trio.
The first thing I noticed when I packed my cymbals: The Signature 22" is a little bit smaller than my 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride. It`s not much, maybe about one centimeter.

So I set up my Agops and my K Custom. I have to say that I was simply impressed by the Signature`s sound! It worked very very well with the sound of the overall trio setting. The mellow wash made an awesome sound "carpet" and the stick definition and especially the weight of this beauty is just right.
I like the contrast of the Agops and the Dry Light Ride.

Recordings with the trio will follow. We are going to meet for a recording session October 18th or something like that. I`m sure the pies will sound magnific with the band...I just have to learn how to play.

Karl

I've got a 20" one of those Signature bad boys, which I use on the left hand side. I love it!

Glad to hear you enjoyed hearing the new Sig in the context of a piano trio playing situation Karl. I have no doubt you'll enjoy hearing the playbacks when you hear how they record in the studio :}

I've been experimenting with a new lightweight ball chain material I discovered in the electrical department {pull ball chain for light fixtures} at my local home improvement store. Slightly smaller and lighter ball chain material than the previous type i've been experimenting with at various lengths. Adds a nice light sizzle to the mix for this dark trashy but warm sounding 22" ride.

Nice to hear foursticks about your 20" Sig by the way.

Foursticks: Great to hear that you like your 20" one! Should really make a nice left side ride like you said. What`s the weight of yours?

Stan: Yep, I did enjoy it for sure and the others did so, too. Live with the trio the Signature had more dark shimmer, the wash was a lot more hearable, so was the trashiness. Still there was that awesome woody stick definition.
I was surprised how great the crash sound was, very sensitive and responsive. It simply complements the sound of the trio setting.
I`m so much looking forward to gigs with this beauty.

Moreover I`m curious about the recordings. We`re going to use the room sound. It won`t sound so static, in a speaking manner the sound will probably be very natural and organic.

We`re going to record with many condensers, I`m excited how the pies sound with this mic constellation.

I´ll keep you updated... ;-)

Karl

They really are something special Karl. You will LOVE the sound of the stick click and supporting dark wash in the studio they deliver. The crash sound is a treat too agreed.

Just did some more recording with my 2210g sample on Sunday with my new ball chain in the mix for a quartet session. Listening to the playbacks had confirmed what I was hearing in the flesh regarding the woody stick definition on top and warm blend of dark undertones in the wash with the other instruments. Outstanding ride cymbals these green label Agop Signature rides!

Enjoy the years to come with this one of a kind superb Turkish handmade ride for acoustic jazz Karl.

P. S. and Latin Groover and foursticks too :}

Last edited:
Back