The 10 Best Singing Drummers In Rock History (Article)

You are thinking of "It's Alright" from the Technical Ecstasy LP ? I love that song ! Sounds more like a Brian Wilson thing than Black Sabbath. I bet no one would guess Sabbath, if they didn't already know.

Yeah, and he did vocals on 1 or 2 more Black Sabbath songs if I remember correctly.

The "best" or just "more popular"?

The best singer who happens to play drums or the best drummer who also knows how to sing?

Micky Dolenz, a great singer, but he really didn't do very much drumming.

Peter Criss wasn't technically a very good drummer or singer, but combined he was very popular.

Sheila E (who's name is misspelled in the article) has plenty of talent, but it's rare she sang lead while playing drums.

The list seems more like a list of people who do both more than a "top 10"

Brann Dailor from Mastadon is a better drummer than most of the people on the list and has a good enough voice that he could be the front man for the band if he so desired. Not everybody's cup of tea, but to be able to sing and play the complex rhythms he is playing puts him at the top of the list as far as I am concerned.

Phil Collins
Nick D'Virgilio
Pat Torpey
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder

10 and 9 in that survey are Hal Blaine.
Good additions. Although I wonder if Gaye is a good fit. AFAIK he only worked briefly as a session-drummer for some months in 1961 but never again afterwards. Or am I wrong?

Ringo? Good drummer - but only a mediocre singer.

Lot's of top 10 hits.

As for mediocre singer ,same can be said for Mick Jagger(when in doubt mumble).

An obscurity, unless you are a hardcore fan of rockabilly & 1950's rock-&-roll: Dick Williams, drummer & lead singer of The Jodimars (an under-rated band comprising disgruntled former members of Bill Haley's Comets). Williams didn't drum on Rock Around The Clock, but did play on several of Haley's later hits; and as lead singer for The Jodimars, he proved himself to be a quite decent blues-shouter.

Good additions. Although I wonder if Gaye is a good fit. AFAIK he only worked briefly as a session-drummer for some months in 1961 but never again afterwards. Or am I wrong?

That's about as much as I know TBF. I think he might have done a few Motown revues in Europe and the states (mentions it in the Funk Brothers documentary). I presume the funk brothers were needed in the studio.

Still puts him above Micky Dolenz :) Oh the arguments I've had with my mom who was in the Monkees fan club.

Still puts him above Micky Dolenz :) Oh the arguments I've had with my mom who was in the Monkees fan club.

Best singing actors who have portrayed drummers:

1. Micky Dolenz
2. Sal Mineo

Dolenz had a great rock & roll singing voice. Still does. Mineo did not sing in the Krupa biopic, but he did release pop records in the 50's. That's all I can come up with at the moment, anyone else I think of were probably lip-synchers. I just wanted to put Micky at #1 for something !

Jeff Lynn from ELO.

Not sure he's really a drummer...I think he sort of pieces the drums together...I suppose that counts.

funny, the idea of a singer playing drums versus a drummer singing...

I'll mention Nigel Olsson...

as well as Paul McCartney!

And I think Ringo is definitely a singer not to mention a drummer whether he's technically good at either one or not!!!

Back