My 14 Piece Mapex Saturn in Arctic White

Not a fan of big kits usually but man. This one caught my eye. It's a clean, efficient looking setup, unlike a lot of those ones you see with piles upon piles of cymbals and toms.

I feel like I should congratulate you or something....
Thanks guys. Nice to be appreciated.

That drum riser must be a bitch to set up with all the rocks.

Actually, it was a hill at first. Then he set his kit up there and started playing, resulting in the destruction of the hill over a half-hour period.

Kidding aside, this is a great set, pro-level and planned out with much thought. Monster kits get a lot of criticism but they are simply one of the many variations of the trap drum set.

Actually, it was a hill at first. Then he set his kit up there and started playing, resulting in the destruction of the hill over a half-hour period.

Kidding aside, this is a great set, pro-level and planned out with much thought. Monster kits get a lot of criticism but they are simply one of the many variations of the trap drum set.

I am starting to get the feeling that this site is pro small kits. I know what a lot of you are saying. I would not take this thing out to gigs all the time. This is my mid-life crises, go crazy, get the kit you have always wanted kit. I use it for practice, and recording. I have a tiny 7 piece kit for taking out. That is as small as I go. :) Thanks again for the kind words.

I am starting to get the feeling that this site is pro small kits. I know what a lot of you are saying. I would not take this thing out to gigs all the time. This is my mid-life crises, go crazy, get the kit you have always wanted kit. I use it for practice, and recording. I have a tiny 7 piece kit for taking out. That is as small as I go. :) Thanks again for the kind words.

Some small kit players have a chip on their shoulder. I have never heard anyone say to a four-piece player, "Your kit is too small." I hear many people say to a monster kit player, "Your kit is too big" or "You must be compensating for something," or "If you were any good you wouldn't need all those drums." I think most 4-piece players secretly wish to be mistaken for jazz drummers. Four-piece kits say SERIOUS. Monster kits say FUN (until you have to move them, which is not so fun).

Most drummers play on mid-sized kits of 5 to 8 pieces that attract little attention. I used to play on a 6-piece but I have whacked it down to a 4 but I will change it up again before long.

Some small kit players have a chip on their shoulder. I have never heard anyone say to a four-piece player, "Your kit is too small." I hear many people say to a monster kit player, "Your kit is too big" or "You must be compensating for something," or "If you were any good you wouldn't need all those drums." I think most 4-piece players secretly wish to be mistaken for jazz drummers. Four-piece kits say SERIOUS. Monster kits say FUN (until you have to move them, which is not so fun).

Most drummers play on mid-sized kits of 5 to 8 pieces that attract little attention. I used to play on a 6-piece but I have whacked it down to a 4 but I will change it up again before long.

I love these sites for talking drums with other drummers, but I just can't seem to figure them out. I am always saying or doing something wrong. It seems to be hard to stay out of trouble when you have strong opinions on stuff :)

I love these sites for talking drums with other drummers, but I just can't seem to figure them out. I am always saying or doing something wrong. It seems to be hard to stay out of trouble when you have strong opinions on stuff :)

Don't take much personally, especially if you have never met or seen the person, unless they are saying something nice about you. Then you can take it personally. Makes things much more enjoyable.

Don't take much personally, especially if you have never met or seen the person, unless they are saying something nice about you. Then you can take it personally. Makes things much more enjoyable.

Yeah, there is a lot to be said for that. You never really know what the person on the other end is hearing in terms of their own tone of voice. Sometimes people who write like a**holes, are just trying to be clear about what they are saying, or may even be joking. Over time you develop a sense of the person. Some people are just jerks though and seem to get off on arguing.

All in all, I like the saying that "winning an argument on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the special olympics." (No offense intended to anyone here).

I'm really impressed by your huge kit, and I'm sure the time and care you put into the pictures translate to all of us gearheads. I kind of equate it to looking at pictures of bodybuilding competitions though. I can't see myself ever going to that extreme, but I am impressed with the effort and discipline in achieving what is obviously a passionate personal goal.

Seriously...

I read the thread that I think you're referring to. Sounds like a lot of misguided anger, to me. Why care?

Yeah, there is a lot to be said for that. You never really know what the person on the other end is hearing in terms of their own tone of voice. Sometimes people who write like a**holes, are just trying to be clear about what they are saying, or may even be joking. Over time you develop a sense of the person. Some people are just jerks though and seem to get off on arguing.

All in all, I like the saying that "winning an argument on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the special olympics." (No offense intended to anyone here).

I'm really impressed by your huge kit, and I'm sure the time and care you put into the pictures translate to all of us gearheads. I kind of equate it to looking at pictures of bodybuilding competitions though. I can't see myself ever going to that extreme, but I am impressed with the effort and discipline in achieving what is obviously a passionate personal goal.

Nice analogy, with the weight lifting.

Seriously...

I read the thread that I think you're referring to. Sounds like a lot of misguided anger, to me. Why care?

I am getting better at least. He expected me to come back at him with all sorts of crap, and I didn't. A couple of months ago I would of. I am 46 and I am just starting to figure this out. You young guys out there need to figure this out much sooner than me. It makes life much easier.

I personally love big kits. Back in my progressive days, I was playing a double-bass, 11-piece kit. As a gigging drummer, and as genres of music have changed, I've obviously scaled down a bit. There are several venues that I now play, where I get to set up a 3-up, one down kit, which is my ideal set-up. Though, I'm still armed and ready, for that big progressive gig, which I will set up 8,10,12,13,15,16, 20,24, plus timbale. ;-p

Yeah, I know what you mean about all the big-kit hate. I've said this time and time again, but it's like this with all instruments and probably any activity that involves some sort of purchasing or tayloring to your own preferances.
With drums it's people who don't like big kits, with bass players it's people who don't like basses with > 4 strings or too many frets and with guitarists it's players who don't like EMG pickups or non-standard tunings...
Some people just want to feel better about themselves by criticising others. They're the ones who are really "compensating for something".

Hello there,

This is an awesome set up.
I`m a Mapex freak and have 2 Saturns and one is in artic white (7 piece with BP walnut snare). The other one is electric berry burst 5 piece with BP 13 X 6,5 ).

20 X 20 bassdrum
10 X 07 tom
12 X 08 tom ( 2 X ) I will let one cut down to 12 X 6,5.
15 X 13 floortom
16 X 14 floortom

How did you remove the brackets on your floortoms and change them into racktoms?? I will maybe do the same,but I don`t know how??
Will you please tell me??

Regards,
Fred

MAPEXXXXXXXXXXXX RULLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ

Hello there,

This is an awesome set up.
I`m a Mapex freak and have 2 Saturns and one is in artic white (7 piece with BP walnut snare). The other one is electric berry burst 5 piece with BP 13 X 6,5 ).

20 X 20 bassdrum
10 X 07 tom
12 X 08 tom ( 2 X ) I will let one cut down to 12 X 6,5.
15 X 13 floortom
16 X 14 floortom

How did you remove the brackets on your floortoms and change them into racktoms?? I will maybe do the same,but I don`t know how??
Will you please tell me??

Regards,
Fred

MAPEXXXXXXXXXXXX RULLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ
It is quite easy. All the toms mounts just sit underneath the lugs. Take the lugs off that hold the mount and use the same lugs and mount in a different location on the drum. You need to use the same lugs that are holding the mount because they have a slightly longer thread to make up for the thickness under the mount.

All i would say is that being a weight lifter is a very different thing from being a bodybuilder. A weightlifter is about strength whereas bodybuilding is purely about muscle appearence.
I meant Body Builder. Quite trying so hard. Oh and body builders care about being strong as well. They just go the extra mile to actually look good as well.

First time I saw this. Christ that is an achievement. You know when you see a new car on the market like an Audi R8, and you say "I am gonna get one of those", I do to, but I have to wait 15 years until a worn out used one comes on the market, lol.

Awesome pictures too. That is worth a bike ride out to visit lol. I just did a track day at Calabogie on Friday, but it didn't excite me enough to plate the bike.

Back