Coated Ambassador Question

brushayss

I bought two coated ambassadors for my kick the other day. I tuned them up but it sounds horrible, I then went onto the REMO website to discover that they seperate coated ambassadors into two catogories toms/snare and kick. BA-0120-00 for for toms/snare and BR-1120-00 for kick...I checked what I had bought, low and behold two 20" Coated Ambassadors (BA-0120-00) ie the tom heads.
Is there a difference between the two? They do have different model numbers, this could explain why my bass drum sounds the way it does. I've emailed REMO but they haven't responded.

Different collar and rim, but I've used a little 16" bass drum with tom head, no problem. Might be different with the larger sizes. A 20" tom head is a rare beast, though!

Maybe it's just that Ambassadors sound very open compared to Powerstrokes etc.?
Try tuning it very carefully, maybe higher than you'd think at first, and use a towel behind the pedal for some slight muffling, or a felt strip off-center across the head.

Assuming you're going for an old-school sound, I'd also suggest using a soft beater - tames both attack and overtones.

Well that was the other thing. They don't sit on the drum properly either, like they don't fit properly. They are very tight to get them on and they don't sit even. For example if you spin the head around it feels like it is out of round (either the head or the drum,) neither are but it seems so. So they may have a different collar..damb it now I have two useless heads. Thanks guys. If anyone has any other ideas, or can confirm that they are made with a different collar that would help.

Back