Travis Barker

im sure he's a great drummer with his own innovative sound. but one thing i do not like to see is today's young drummers believing that barker is the highest plateau of drumming. Younger drummers will only benefit themselves and learn to dig down deeper to the tony williams and such.

Stu_Strib said:
Just thinking, what celebrity entertainers can you think of that actually have high levels of artistic talent other than looking good and having nice body parts?

I think Michael Jackson is pretty good. Or rather, he used to be before he was murdered by the shape-shifting alien who took his place in the late 1980s :) And the less said about his body parts the better, I've heard enough of that for a lifetime.

Also, I think Kelis is good too. Some of her album tracks are pretty dodgy, but she's a good live performer and she has the decency to hire a great live band and actually give them space to move. There's not many people who'd turn a live version of their breakthrough hit into a 10-minute instrumental jam intended to show off the skills of their individual band members.

i think travis is pretty good. He is not the best, but you have to give him credit for being as good as he is. dont be jealous or mad at him. if a drummer is good and doesnt go around acting like the messiah of drumming then he is a cool dude in my book

spacebeat3117 said:
If you still believe that Travis isnt a good drummer watch this www.ocdrum.com.

Wow, I'm embarrassed for OCdrum.

What a horrible excursion in drumming. This video demonstrates everything that is wrong with modern pop drumming and stardom-over-skill.

The best part is when he goes back under the stage and its done.

Seriously, how can any 'drummer' think that is good? I can understand the thousands of 14 year old girls in the crowd yelling their brains out. He has nice tatoos and a cool mohawk, and really cool lights.

But what does that have to do with drumming?

Horrible horrible horrible. A bunch of running 16th notes and flashing lights...big friggin' deal.

Even the drum sound is horrible. Did he even bother tuning the kick and toms? Also, there are so many fundamentally things wrong with his hi-hat setup, and his tom setups, its laughable. His strokes are even disgraceful, especially from a supposed rudimental genius.

Please do us a favor, and go on drummerworld.com and check out Bonham, Porcaro, Weckl, Smith, Drumbassadors, Gadd, Coliauta, Copeland, Chambers, Beauford, Townsley, Bissonette, Moore, Jarzombek, Lang, Minneman, Igoe, Irskine, Famularo, Mayer, Phillips, Riel, Ward, Williams, etc. etc.

Then come back and tell us how great that video is.

spacebeat3117 said:
If you still believe that Travis isnt a good drummer watch this www.ocdrum.com.

dude, travis is definetly better than that solo, u gotta find some better stuff, that solo is easy as hell compared to wat ive seen him do live, that solo was actually really simple, ive only been playin for about 2 years and i can play that, its good to listen to when ur a beginner, but its pretty easy when ur more experienced...hes definetly an extreemly talented guy, but if u wanna prove a point about him being a really great drummer, find some better footage, cause that was childs play, im not saying im amazing, but that solo just wasnt that hard

JW89 said:
dude, travis is definetly better than that solo, u gotta find some better stuff, that solo is easy as hell compared to wat ive seen him do live, that solo was actually really simple, ive only been playin for about 2 years and i can play that, its good to listen to when ur a beginner, but its pretty easy when ur more experienced...hes definetly an extreemly talented guy, but if u wanna prove a point about him being a really great drummer, find some better footage, cause that was childs play, im not saying im amazing, but that solo just wasnt that hard

That's the problem with Barker. Everytime I ask for somethng better, nobody can produce anything. I've now listened to every Blink 182 song and watched about 5 videos. I like ONE thing he's done in all that material (it had a cool cowbell part is all I remember).

He's funny on his show though, especially the one where his girl and the wedding planner were going on and on, and he was totally zoning and not caring one bit...

i have respect for the guy, in my opinion, its all about just feeling it, u should do whatever you want/need to get the right feel for something, and if it makes you feel good about your drumming, then thats good, just as long as his head doesnt get insanely huge like lars ulrich, and a lot of other drummers. travis hasnt, hes a pretty modest guy, ive never once heard him run his mouth about his drumming, and i think thats cool. Travis is just a drummer like tre cool, or ringo. When your starting out on a set, its good to listen to that type of stuff, but after a while you need to move on to better, more technical people.

Fact is also, that Travis Barker is by far the most clicked drummer at Drummerworld for more than three years now.

More than the double as Steve Gadd, Joey Jordison or Neil Peart....

Bernhard

Wegadrummer said:
WOW! it is probally because people know about travis, both for his tvshow and drumming..
i think it was a cool solo, not so tech.. but fast and cool..

In addition to people like me clicking it to figure out what all the hub-hub is about him.

The height of the hi-hats is riduculous. You can get so many sounds out of a hi hat if you can hit the edge, shoulder, bell, top with the tip of the stick, all would require a much lower position. But if he were to lower his hat, he wouldn't be able to wail on the snare drum with the crossover style, he'd have to learn to play open.

That solo of Travis that Bernhard put up recently, is wimp. The guy should spend some of his millions and take lessons on how to solo. It was rediculously bad. Also standing up to have to hit your rack tom and cymbals is not cool.

ErNeStIn_182 said:
theres no need for an argument or thats what i think.

does tre do something special on drums? does he do any solo´s? the only good thing ive seen on tre he is kind of fast and has sometimes some god rythms with toms as you can hear on jesus of suburbia.

travis is FAST, creative, cool etc...

is that enough for u? or do i night to argument more? its just my OPINION if u dont respect it its cause you are not educated.
Ok I think travis is kind of a poser transplants you call that PUNK I call it crap ya maybe Tim armstrong is in it but whatever I've heard Tre Cool do a drum solo and I'll tell you when hes not playing punky pop songs he is Amazing Tre cool is also FAST, creative, cool etc... his old stuff on green day is pretty easy but he has some moments when it comes to the toms he is so fast in almost every song on the dookie record hes going crazy with the cymbals and the toms for such a small kit back on the old records thats pretty good Tre Cool deosn't want to impress anybody he just wants to play drums for his band some of you may have not heard Tre play out of green day but if you do you would be surprised since he owns more then a dozen drum kits Travis is good and I've heard travis do his best on drums not very impressive but have you heard Tre do his best on drums untill you do we can start argueing on whos better on drums

Travis Barker RULZ!!!
No, really...
He gets the job done, fits in well with Blink 182 (If you think the band is annoying, his drumming matches perfectly, and if you think the band is great, his drumming matches your taste). He is an entertainer, and he succeeds at entertaining. He doesn't have to be an amazing drummer to earn what he has. I admire him for his business smarts. He's one of the most popular non-musician's drummers, has his own show, and his own line of clothing. He must have some amount of smarts to keep it all up. As a musician, not so good. However, as an entertainer, he's a success.

Actually I put my hi-hat the same height a little lower but I like my hi-hat to be high I thought it was a good solo there were some hard parts but other parts were really basic I hate his drum sticks though they suck the colour wears off so easily and I wasn't very impressed by the solo I thought he was better than that but hes still a very good drummer excellent drummer but I don't care my opion Tre Cool can do a hell of a lot better drum solo than that I've heard Tre do a solo before alot better than that video trust me when Tre does a solo he does a certain beat then goes all out on the toms and the cymbals I can't explain it very well heh

I honestly used to like Blink 182...but some of my friends have just got into them so much. It just makes me sick. Travis Barker is a good drummer..but maybe just a little over-rated....like saying he is the best drummer ever or what not. Not as much as Jordison though IMO. You gotta look at more drummers than just one type of genre.

personally, i thought that when he first joined blink, his take on "punk" drumming (you can't really call blink punk, but what people NOW refer to as punk) was different. i really believe the vibe he created influenced a lot of the newer drummers for emo/punk/pop-punk/screamo genre. his fills and beats were pretty damn fresh, it was very tight, fast drumming, his drums sounded awesome live and recorded and he had 'the look' to become a 'cool drummer'.

think it all just added up and he was at the beginning of this whole, new music scene. that's why i think he's been held so high in many people's eyes.

maybe i'm wrong, but that's the way i see it. i don't really LOVE the blink/transplants music, but i listen to it now and then because i think the drums just sound really nice on the albums.

Honestly , I also wasnt all that impressed with the solo, but try doing that in front of 20,000 people. Also if you were in a pop punk band like Blink , and knew that most of your fans were not as musically intelligent as other audiences of other types of genres, wouldnt you just try to impress the crowd by going real fast, and crazy. He is just trying to please the crowd, just going with the flow, you know what I mean. But yes i do agree on the thing about his cymbals being to high up, that must be uncomfortable. Oh well just think about playing in front of 20,000 people, untill you have and pulled a better job then Travis ... then you can talk.

Back