Roland HD-1 HD1 V-Drums Lite

perkindc

Do any of you have an opinion of this kit?

I'm an Intermediate/Novice drummer ready to upgrade my gear.

I've thought about purchasing a rack and then just building a kit from what I find on Craigslist, ebay and local music shops -- mostly to learn and to have fun with the process. But this kit intrigues me.

Will I do a disservice to my learning process if I use the bass pedal on the HD-1 HD V-Drum lite? I'm just worried about picking up bad habits and technique. This kit also doesn't allow me to build or expand.

Nevertheless, this appears to be a nice quality compact kit. I just don't want to make a bad purchase.

I'm curious to what people have to say about this kit. I couldn't find any previous posts on the subject.

I agree. An acoustic kit would be ideal. In fact, I find the craftsmanship of the higher end acoustic drums fascinating. We have a wonderful family owned drum shop in my city -- so I've had the chance to play around with quality gear.

Unfortunately my neighbors would go bananas if I played an acoustic. I feel sorry for anyone forced to listen to my novice drumming ability at this stage.

I think the HD kit meets all of my needs and I bet I could find one for $500 or less after the holiday.

Stay away from it. The kick pedal isn't adjustable and feels awful, the sounds are disgusting, and the rubber pads don't feel like the ones on the TD-3 and above, as they're not free floating. They feel like a thin piece of rubber attached to a sheet of plywood. They're truly awful kits and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Of all the Rolands the HD-1 is separate.

The pedals are built in and this is the biggest drawback.

The pedals feel like nothing else and for this reason, I would hesitate to recommend it. For me the TD3, 4 or 6 used would be a better bet as you can use your favourite pedals.

Davo

Of all the Rolands the HD-1 is separate.

The pedals are built in and this is the biggest drawback.

The pedals feel like nothing else and for this reason, I would hesitate to recommend it. For me the TD3, 4 or 6 used would be a better bet as you can use your favourite pedals.

Davo
Yup. For me, the worst part is the pads. They're hard to play because they feel so bad. If he's on a budget, he can get a used Yamaha pretty cheap on eBay. At least IMO, Yamaha makes better drums than Roland.

Stay away from it. The kick pedal isn't adjustable and feels awful, the sounds are disgusting, and the rubber pads don't feel like the ones on the TD-3 and above, as they're not free floating. They feel like a thin piece of rubber attached to a sheet of plywood. They're truly awful kits and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Agree!...I wouldn't waste my money on the HD-1....if price is an issue look at the Yamaha DTXplorer ($599)..otherwise look at the Yamaha DTXpress IV V2 ($1295), Roland td-9 non-mesh ($1299), or td-4 ($995)....if price is not that much of an issue, look at the DTXtreme IIISP ($2799-$2999).

Back