how do you hook up a mac to a midi keyboard?

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
yea, so how do you do it? i got a new mac and i want to get the best out of my software.

What's the software? What do you want to do with the keyboard?

So i recently bought that device gruntersdad pointed out, but like i cant make it work. It looks like i have all the software hooked up. And when i see if the connection is good, it says its fine.

but when i open up garage band and play the keyboard, what im playing doesnt show up on garage band.

Have you selected the I/O module on Garageband? That's the software synthesiser. You'll need to select a patch before you'll hear any sound.

Right on MFB. You need to go to the Preferences section of both Garage band and Sounds on the computer and select the sounds in and out.

Give me five minutes. I don't use GarageBand regularly. I'll see what I can do.

Blast. Just remembered I didn't actually install GarageBand on my Mac when I did my system re-install a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can find a tutorial.

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/excerpt/iLife04_MiniManual.pdf

Try that out. Page 38 and onwards might be of some use. Page 44 as well as 45. Give it a go. I'm not sure if that's up to date but it's the best I can find.

Check these boxes in Gband and Sound preferences.

Do both the output and input boxes in sound from System preferences.

With the Midi device hooked up, it should show when you click on these boxes.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 6,106
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    32 KB · Views: 6,034
erm... this is really annoying. It still doesnt work. If it means anything, on the little blue uno usb machine thingy, the light for "midi in" lights up when i play, but midi out doesnt.

Try the other midi plug on that cord. And what version of Mac do you have.

maybe my midi keyboard is the problem? because its exremely old. maybe the midi out thingy broke somehow.

I'm not sure what "outs" are on the keyboard or what settings are there. But Keep trying.

Back