Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

Drummerd99

Hi:

What recommendations do you have for Double Bass Drum Pedals. Which is the best - and why?

Looking at a whole bunch right now and I need your help.

Has anyone tried the Duallist? Or the Off Center one?

Thanks for the help.

Drummerd99

I play the Off-Set center pedal system (here: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/hrconway/134-3415_IMG.jpg ) if that's what you mean by "Off Center one". Only 3 pedal makers that I know of that make center pedals. Sonor and Sleishman being the other two. I've played the others as well. Didn't care for the Sonor at all. Sleishman was the first to design a center pedal (1972) to my knowledge, but until last year it basically never made it off the continent of Australia. When I play a single pedal, I play a Yamaha FDDD. When I play a double, I play the Off-Set.

Here's the many popular answers that you will find to this question.

Iron Cobra, DW 5000 or 9000, Pearl Eliminator, Yamaha Flying Dragon, Axis longboards.

The problem is what works for me will not necessarily work for you. You should really try to get your feet on as many pedals as you can. The one thing I think many guys make a mistake on is skimping on a good quality pedal. It's probably the most used and abused piece of equipment on your kit and can have an effect on how you sound. I'd much rather save up for a good pedal than buy a cheap one and keep replacing it.

I personally have owned the 5000 double pedal and currently a 9000 single. The 9000 is unbelievably smooth and has a million adjustments to really customize the feel. I've tried the IC's and they weren't for me, good pedal just didn't fit my playing style. Played on an Axis a few weeks ago just a little bit, expensive but smooth, takes a little getting used to. no one around me has the Yamaha flying dragon's, I'd love to try a set though.

Good luck on your quest to find your perfect pedal!

I like Harrys offset, but also give the Taye XP-1. Very versatile,can be used left or right footed, more adjustments than MacGyvers Swiss Army knife. Not the BIG name but was best in show at NAMM last year.

I think it was the 2005 NAMM show that I met Charles Fisher, the man behind the Off-Set pedal. That same year, the 3 Sonor pedals (Giant Steps) were unveiled. At least, that was the first year they caught "my" eye. Anyhow, I went back and forth for 3 days at the NAMM show, playing both pedals. I don't put a lot of thought into why I don't like something. Like buying a pair of shoes. Either they're confortable, or they're not. So I found the Sonor "not my cup of tea". So now, 2008 NAMM finds me actually playing a Sleishman pedal http://www.sleishman.com/html/twin_pedals/index.html and it also, I would buy over the Sonor. Unlike the Off-Set, the Sleishman has no drive shafts, and there are +'s and -'s to that. I'll probably get one, someday, just to have one.

For overall value, looks and feel, I don't think you can beat BigDog. Odviously these are only double pedals below the £200, and the more you pay for a double pedal, the better they will feel. But BigDog pedals have got my vote.

I now own the OFF SET. Best and favorite pedal I have owned thus far. Very solid construction and smooth feel. Some unique designs to the mechanics. Char;es Fisher is a really nice guy, too.

I originally got it to deal with noticeable hip, knee and ankle discomfort I was feeling after playing traditional double pedal for many years. Body twisting to accommodate that set up. The OFF SET has removed that, now. But being built like a tank, my 13EEEs are right at home and the feel is the smoothest I have yet played. And I have owned DW, Tama, Yamaha, Pearl and played others.

The price is right, too.

Prior to 2005, in all of my 25 years of drumming to that point, I felt the ludwig speed king was the greatest pedal on the market, even though it was noisy and the design is from 1937 and still unchanged. The reason for my preference, two words: compression spring. Fast forward to the present, the best pedal on the market IMO is now the Trick percusssion pro-1v detonator (i own the "bigfoot" longboard model). It uses the same compression action and is quite frankly, years ahead of anything on the market from an engineering standpoint.

http://www.trickdrums.com/

I have owned the speed king, a yamaha double pedal, a 1st gen iron cobra, a dw7002 and a dw 9002. The trick is more responsive and more adjustable than any other pedal i have owned or played. The only action you cannot achieve is "assist" the way a DW 5002 will "lead" your foot when you get up to speed. Those John Bonham style duplets and triplets that i could only ever do on the Speed King? Effortless on the Trick. My speed with blast beats increased from 204 bpm 16th note singles with the 9002 (highly regarded as one of the smoothest pedals you can get) to 216 bpm singles over an 8 bar phrase with the Trick. The action is equal in every aspect between the main and the slave. The slave even seperates to become an identical single pedal.

downside is the cost. about 800USD. Their new dominator pedal uses the same design basics though at a more affordable price. If you have the opportunity to check one out at your local music store, spend a few minutes and customize it to your liking, you will want to leave with it.

I want one myself, but I can't afford such things. Double pedals are usually $300-$600 here. Personally, I trust Tama and Yamaha as they are always consistently sturdy and well made. I would like one of those direct drive ones, as I never like springs, chains, straps, and other parts that can shift, break, readjust, etc.

I got some Axis A Singles, couldnt try them out so i bought blindly.
They feel like £500 worth of pedals should feel, but they just dont have any rebound i find.
As is advertised with these direct drive pedals, they feel like an extension of your foot. This is not a good thing in my opinion, i like to be able to toy with tensions and placements until i can find the perfect bounceback, but i dont find this with the Axis.
Maybe its just that i havent tried a double, but there are still te annoyances of carrying around multiple allen keys, and trying to remember which ones do what things...
If you are going to get them, try and try them out, it will be worth it in the long run.

Possibly the iron cobra is right for me, i tried it out a couple of times and loved it!

http://www.trickdrums.com/

Effortless on the Trick. My speed with blast beats increased from 204 bpm 16th note singles with the 9002 (highly regarded as one of the smoothest pedals you can get) to 216 bpm singles over an 8 bar phrase with the Trick. The action is equal in every aspect between the main and the slave. The slave even seperates to become an identical single pedal.

How do you set this up for gigs. The downfall I have with the Trick pedal is, it doesn't have the spikes in the floor board. I am considering this pedal myself, but untill I figure out how to fix that, I don't want the left one walking away.

Last edited:
I bought a used Pearl Eliminator (belt) and it's pretty good. I'm just starting to play with the double bass, so I don't have any other frame of reference, although I like the action of my mapex single bass pedal that came with my Saturn kit better.

How do you set this up for gigs. The downfall I have with the Trick pedal is, it doesn't have the spikes in the floor board. I am considering this pedal myself, but untill I figure out how to fix that, I don't want the left one walking away.

Velcro my friend, velcro :)

The pedal came with 4 long industrial strength velcro strips, 2 for each base plate. I bring a rug for my kit to gigs just in case there's no carpet.

I have the Duallist,it's not going to replace the traditional double pedal.I'm using the chrome Iron Cobra & an older DW 7000.You want the slave to be a double post style.The DW 7000 is very similar to the Tama/Camco.I'd recommend the Tama pedal.

OMFG! The axis x2 double pedal ive been waiting 3weeks for, FINALLY arrived!!! it is soooooooooooooooooo different, i upgraded from a no brand crappy 100 dollar double bass pedal. It didnt take long for me to set it up roughly, but some fine tuning still to do, so i can get the best setting for myself :). does anyone else own one of of these, and have any warnings for me that i should keep in mind or any tips?

I play the Off-Set center pedal system (here: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/hrconway/134-3415_IMG.jpg ) if that's what you mean by "Off Center one". Only 3 pedal makers that I know of that make center pedals. Sonor and Sleishman being the other two. I've played the others as well. Didn't care for the Sonor at all. Sleishman was the first to design a center pedal (1972) to my knowledge, but until last year it basically never made it off the continent of Australia. When I play a single pedal, I play a Yamaha FDDD. When I play a double, I play the Off-Set.

Premier used to make an off-set pedal too, around the mid-70's. I played one for a spell.

Back