Metallica - Death Magnetic. They're at it again. (heads up)

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
Just a heads up for all you Metallica fans. Tomorrow (sept 12th) is the launch date of Metallica's new album.

Almost every Metallica fan on earth was disappointed by St. Anger in 2003. Most think St. Anger was one tooo many for Metallica, and was. I'm shocked that they came out with yet another album, but it will no doubt be a lot less disappointing than before. I must say that I'm surprised how how much younger this new album sounds, even though the members are getting older. It doesn't compare to their mid to late 80's stuff, but it's fantastic for some old guys who are approaching grandfather age within the coming years.

Here's a preview for those interested.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7DwATakgmMA

I would also like to hear any opinions people have about the band coming out with another album. Is the greatest metal band of all time milking money from the die-hard fans? Or are they simply to young at mind to give up rocking?

Good guys simply just can't stop rocking, but Lars needs bigger drums!

I'm not ready to say yet whether or not I think they're milking it. Sometimes I think they are because the last few releases have been pretty much garbage. And then they released the DVD that basically just showed them fighting a lot. Still not sure what that was for.

But then I also think that maybe they're just trying to get back to their niche.

And then they released the DVD that basically just showed them fighting a lot. Still not sure what that was for.

Money.

I think the new stuff sounds like it should have follwed "And Justice For All." I can't stand the pompus attitude that Lars has. That said, I'll prolly buy it.

having never been a fan of Metallica (but being an avid metal listener) , i can objectively say that the samples i heard on YouTube were very unremarkable....

i understand that they've made their contribution to the world of music (The Black Album, most would argue), and i think they need to just step back and leave it at that. Of course, if that were to happen, the money wouldn't flow as quickly. I believe at this point in the game, it's purely for profit....there's certainly no new ground being paved with the music, OR the production (the drums mainly)

It bugs me that people diss Metallica so much because they had some amazing albums in the 80s and can't/ wont/don't wont to re create what they did then.

I'm one of the few I know that likes Load and Reload - you have to let go of the past and move on. I think those 'true' fans would be happy if they stopped playing and writing at 'Justice' well no offence but screw them. They don't own Metallica and Metallica don't owe them anything. The way I see it is that a band writes music if people like it then cool, if not tough - go and listen to something else.

I dont think every metallica fan was dissapointed with St Anger!!! i wasnt...

thing is metallica made awesome albums back in the past just music is changing, people are changing.

i think all there albumbs even death magnetic awesome!!

and funk me Rob is one hell of a bassist!!

Metallica are my fav band in the world!!! never dissapoint me!!

i think this album is good its nothing like the old days but its still the same group of guys making good music also there live shows have improved so much i saw them a month ago and it was one of the best gigs of the year for me.i hope they keep going until they die andi think they will

I heard "Flamingo" and other samples from songs, I can't even pick up Ride The Lighting out of my CD case anymore because of that.

It bugs me that people diss Metallica so much because they had some amazing albums in the 80s and can't/ wont/don't wont to re create what they did then.

Why? That's a perfectly good reason to criticize a band. I like to diss Metallica for not making another '...And Justice..', because that's the Metallica I like, not anything else that followed. I don't think that's grounds to condemn me to a 'screwing'.

It's amazing, I just about the album and I listened to the entire thing begining to end. I have to say I'm shocked. I'm extremely impressed and now I have even more of a reason to be excited to see them live.

If it wasn't for Metallica, I wouldn't be who I am now.
I have the deepest respect for them.

It's by far the comeback album of the year and probably of the decade. I'm going on a big limb and saying that it's their best since Justice.

The stripped down production by Rubin brings out the genius of Hetfield. The riffs are great and endless. It sounds like Rick Rubin locked Lars in a studio for a year and said, "Practice!!!!!!!" He sounds better than he has in years.

I have been listening to this entire record for almost a week now and it's wearing thin to me at all. I am totally back on board with them. Despite their weaker recent work and that pathetic movie, they have reclaimed their status. Not bad for a bunch of guys in their mid-40's!

I I know they will be playing material from this record on the tour, I getting a ticket.

It's by far the comeback album of the year and probably of the decade. I'm going on a big limb and saying that it's their best since Justice.

The stripped down production by Rubin brings out the genius of Hetfield. The riffs are great and endless. It sounds like Rick Rubin locked Lars in a studio for a year and said, "Practice!!!!!!!" He sounds better than he has in years.

I have been listening to this entire record for almost a week now and it's wearing thin to me at all. I am totally back on board with them. Despite their weaker recent work and that pathetic movie, they have reclaimed their status. Not bad for a bunch of guys in their mid-40's!

I I know they will be playing material from this record on the tour, I getting a ticket.

I saw 'em last night and they played a few new tracks. They sounded ok but a little too fast for a big echoey venue. The black album stuff sounded huge though. They were wicked.

Dude my thoughts exactly Metallica doing what they do best!

I'll agree with that for the most part. I wouldn't cut it back as far as Justice though. Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman were on Black album, which right there makes it hard to beat, despite what Portnoy seems to think.

After listening to the whole album, finally, I'm impressed. It doesn't have the soul or "metal power" that's in songs like Fade to Black or One, but I'm sure finding it easy to get up and head bang to, so much energy. I'll give this one an 8/10. 7/10 by Metallica standards.

I'm hearing a lot of bad things about the mastering of the album. I'm sitting here having heard some of the tracks and now I'm listening to 'Ride The Lightning' and the biggest difference is really the production. The actual songs are reasonable on the new album, but it's so poorly mixed and mastered it takes all enjoyment out of it. Shame.

On the other hand, a local record store is selling all of the Metallica back catalogue for £7 each CD. Time to re-buy those CD's I scratched to Hell when i was 15.

I'm hearing a lot of bad things about the mastering of the album. I'm sitting here having heard some of the tracks and now I'm listening to 'Ride The Lightning' and the biggest difference is really the production. The actual songs are reasonable on the new album, but it's so poorly mixed and mastered it takes all enjoyment out of it. Shame.

You're right, it isn't all that great, but at least it's loads better than St. Anger. It was almost as if that album was recorded in a budget home studio, even if they intended for it to be that way.

The main thing that's bugging me on Death Magnetic is the volume, it's almost half that of a regular song. Unless I have bad files?

Well... judging by what I'm hearing they shouldn't be half the volume. The inherent problem is that they've been mastered far too loud and that's causing a lot of digital clipping!

On the other hand, a local record store is selling all of the Metallica back catalogue for £7 each CD. Time to re-buy those CD's I scratched to Hell when i was 15.

Yeah, I really have to agree. Whoever mixed and mastered it did a half ass job.

But, imagine this. If it was properly mastered, it would sound alot better. Still though, I really like the album. Once you get past the recording (which was easy for me) the music is good.

Back