Double pedal with a smooth surface?

The current Iron Cobra pedal's surface is much smoother surface than the previous.

PDP have a new pedal with a completely smooth, and long footboard. It actually looks like they took a page out of the Speed Cobra's book with it. I haven't tried them, but they're affordable and look really nice. It's called the Concept. Not sure if they're gonna' change it or not.

PDP have a new pedal with a completely smooth, and long footboard. It actually looks like they took a page out of the Speed Cobra's book with it. I haven't tried them, but they're affordable and look really nice. It's called the Concept. Not sure if they're gonna' change it or not.

Yeah I saw that one in another topic, that looks really good. Pellegrom's demonstration was hideous though, haha.
it's really really cheap though, the price is in the DW2002 tier, and I think it's the only double chain pedal to be so cheap (why isn't the double chain a standard for pedals anyway? does it cost that much more to the company to produce it or what?)
eager to try it but I think it won't be in my country until 2014.

Yeah I saw that one in another topic, that looks really good. Pellegrom's demonstration was hideous though, haha.
it's really really cheap though, the price is in the DW2002 tier, and I think it's the only double chain pedal to be so cheap (why isn't the double chain a standard for pedals anyway? does it cost that much more to the company to produce it or what?)
eager to try it but I think it won't be in my country until 2014.

damn guys you beat me to it!!!

i was just a GC this afternoon and i was messing around with the PDP concept pedals. they feel good and the footboard is smooth as hell. while i was messing around with them, i was thinking of supermachoman the whole time and how i would recommend them to him. they come with a speed cam??? iirc
i like them alot... enough to change my single dw5000 pedal.

im gonna get them next week cause i dont have a double bass pedal atm.

the dw9000's are like a boat to me..... big and heavy and slow

demon drives can be changed from short boards to long boards and back. are smooth. hit hard and are VERY fast pedals.

axis are also a great pedal .

i can do heel toe..double strokes. slide. swivel, and fast singles on both with no issues.

but everyone has their own opionions

a few things on the speed cobra. my buddy bought some and they fell apart WAY to fast. I also tried some out for a few days and found them kind of cheaply made. they are also not nearly as responsive as the demons/axis for fast playing / heel toe... once again my opinion but i strongly suggest trying those too out.

on that note... both the pedals I suggest have a much higher pricetag.

Last edited:
With regular boards your foot rests closer to the hinge where there's more leverage.

Not true. It is easier to push the pedal down towards the top than it is at the hinge. It is a fulcrum, that is how they work. If you don't believe me, try it with 1 finger. You will have an easier time getting the beater to contact the head from the top of the pedal than you will at the hinge.

I think you misread me.

I agree with you, it's easier to push down the further away from the hinge, which is why longer boards are easier again. There is more board for you to get away from the hinge and because they're longer the sweet spot is spread over a larger area.

With my demons i tried both ways. once they were in longboards i never went back.

Most people who dislike/argue longboards have not sat down with them and used them for a week + straght.

they take a bit to get used to. the feel is MUCH different. they are way faster and you bairly have to push them down to send them flying. I can usually crank my springs max on long boards as i cant when in the short board config. thus generating alot of speed at less effort.

the slide is pretty much the same on both for me though. It helps me to have my batter skin nice and tight for rebound as well.

Try considering the Mapex Falcon, it has a smooth surface.

1155_lge.jpg

well i bought the pdp concept pedals and couldnt be any happier with them. built simple and get the job done! the long foot pedals feel great

Look what the cat dragged in!

trk0ATKl.jpg

(DFP9500, direct drive)

found it used for half the retail price and it doesn't even have a single mark on it, I was quite lucky there. smoothest pedal I've tried.

experimenting a bit with adjustments, but I have a question, what is this:
al95Y1Ll.jpg

and how do I remove it? I want my beaters closer together and that thing gets in the way.
it has two hex screws underneath, removed them with a key but couldn't move the thing.

Look what the cat dragged in!

trk0ATKl.jpg

(DFP9500, direct drive)

found it used for half the retail price and it doesn't even have a single mark on it, I was quite lucky there. smoothest pedal I've tried....

Lucky guy. I got those fairly recently and already think I'd have a hard time doing without them.

Took a look at mine, and from the factory, the right side beater is tight against the center part that holds the drive link. You've got a big gap in there that could be closed up. Someone must have changed it. Just loosen up the right side beater holder and slide it to the left against the link holder.

About the circled part in your second pic: if you look at the frame from the front or underside, you'll see that it has a reinforcing piece running between the uprights. The circled part is attached to that.
It contains a bearing that the shaft rides on (as well as the bearings on both sides).

You probably could remove it if you disassembled the whole thing, and take the shaft out. But I think you'd lose a fair amount of stability without the center bearing and the attachment to the frame support. Not worth the trade-off, I think.
Plus, if you ever want to use different beaters, they'd probably hit each other.
The beaters on there are pretty narrow, and if I used my regular round felt Yamaha beaters, I'm pretty sure they'd hit.

Great pedals, and you got a good deal on them. Someone must have tried them and decided direct drive wasn't right for them.

Someone must have changed it.

yup, me!
they were closer together, but when I mounted the pedal on the bass drum, the right beater was right on center, and the left beater was much further left. I want them to be close (sweet huh?) but I want them to be symmetrical as well.
thanks for the advice regarding that black part, won't touch it for now. maybe when I'm drunk.

the guy had it for a year and decided to quit drumming. dunno how people take such decisions but well, his loss, my gain!

It might be they're set that way for if you just want to use the single right pedal.

Here's how mine was set when new:

Last edited:
thanks for the advice regarding that black part, won't touch it for now. maybe when I'm drunk.

If you remove the black part, your pedal would be unplayable. Not only does it house the bearings, it supports the two shafts that the beaters mount to. Remove the black piece, no housing for the bearings, no support for the shafts, no workie workie for either side.

You want the beaters symmetrical, move the right one over. You want the right beater centered, no more beater symmetry. It is a case of wish in one hand and poop in the other to see what fills up faster.

BTW, trying to deal with disassembling and assembling that black part is a pain in itself. I would advise to NOT do it drunk.

Is the pedal surface smooth enough for you?

I've got mine set up on an electronic bass drum pad. They have to be offset from center a bit. I'm sure if I hooked 'em up to my kit, the right pedal would be closer to the center than the left pedal.

Almost all double bass pedals are offset to a certain degree. Just the nature of the beast, I guess. I'm not sure if Yamaha's are offset more than most though.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dou...al4AOX9IHoAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=664

Hopefully, they'll work out for you.

The beaters on the Mapex Falcon are evenly spaced on the shaft and will hit the bass drum head at equal distance from the centre (vertically)

P1000TW.jpg

The beaters on the Mapex Falcon are evenly spaced on the shaft and will hit the bass drum head at equal distance from the centre (vertically)...

Oh oh - I see buyer's remorse coming on for supermachoman.

LOL

Maybe you can trade those Yamaha's for a symmetrical Mapex set.

don't mock my OCD issues!

joking aside, couldn't I switch black part's - left beater's places? that would bring the beater in the right place, and keep the black part on the pedal. I'm not sure I understood how that thing works.

wildbill, no remorse! it's a great smooth pedal.
MAD, I tried the falcon in a shop and it felt good; very cobra-like.
I have the mentality on buying only shells new and everything else used; never saw a falcon up for sale in my town, in the last 2 years I'm checking ads.
still the yamaha felt insanely better and a great fit for my needs.

Back