Europe travel question

Anon La Ply

Diamond Member
I would like to travel to Europe in September and early October this year before getting to the London Drum Show. I think for about 3 weeks.

I know train is usually best in Europe. I think Paris and Amsterdam are musts for me. Would like to see Vienna since I have family roots there (although unfortunately no known relatives now).

Obviously in 3 weeks you're only going to see a tiny number of places, even if you run around like a chook without a head. So I was thinking of spending a week in three cities.

Is this a good idea or is there an "absolute must see" place I should squeeze in? Thanks in advance :)

G, if you need a floor near London you're more than welcome to use mine. Hopefully by then I'll have moved into my new flat. You never know, you might even get the luxury of the spare mattress.

I've always liked the idea of going to Copehagen. I've never been but it looks to be absolutely fascinating.

You may be interested to read some books or watch some videos online from Rick Steves Travel's in Europe. He builds itineraries based on countries involved and length of stay.

I wanna go to! lol

Rome. I've never been there for longer than a weekend, but I'm going back for the fourth or fifth time in a couple of weeks.

If I were going to Europe, I'd want to visit Stockholm, for no other reason that the band Katatonia is from there. But it would be my luck they'd be out on tour somewhere else.

I know, not very helpful!!

Do you guys think it's a good idea to reserve a week per place? Too long? Not long enough?

Thanks D but I've booked the Hilton for a week ... a floor might have been good 35 years ago :) I'm thinking Amsterdam, just to see what it feels like to be an adult in a more mature culture.

DED, Madge and Andy were talking about Stockholm. Pretty cold by Aussie standards.

Madge, I'm wondering how Rome would be for a single untravelled woman.

I visited Vienna for a week last summer (Klimt's 150th Anniversary) and had a great time. We visited Paris a few years ago and stayed about 4 days (not enough time). I frequently visit Amsterdam and stay a week at a time. All three are cities I really enjoy and will return. I like vacations that are relaxed so that I can recharge my batteries. I don't want a 10 country trip in 3 weeks.

Therefore, I would recommend reserving a place in each of the 3 cities for a week. All three cities offer a lot to do and there are opportunities for day trips if you run out of things to do in the city.

Have a great time.

GJS

p.s. a night or two in Bruges will also add a really nice side trip.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to reserve a week per place? Too long? Not long enough?

Thanks D but I've booked the Hilton for a week ... a floor might have been good 35 years ago :) I'm thinking Amsterdam, just to see what it feels like to be an adult in a more mature culture.

DED, Madge and Andy were talking about Stockholm. Pretty cold by Aussie standards.

Four or five days would do for me, but I have the attention span of a gnat.

Never been to Amsterdam, always wanted to.

Stockholm does start to get cold in October, but why on earth would you NOT want to visit the Abba museum?? Oh wait ...

What are you thinking re Rome, Grea, harrassment? If so, I don't think it would be a problem: I'm fine with the prospect of my 19 and 20-year-old daughters trundling off by themselves (albeit together) when we go.

I visited Vienna for a week last summer (Klimt's 150th Anniversary) and had a great time. We visited Paris a few years ago and stayed about 4 days (not enough time). I frequently visit Amsterdam and stay a week at a time. All three are cities I really enjoy and will return. I like vacations that are relaxed so that I can recharge my batteries. I don't want a 10 country trip in 3 weeks.

Therefore, I would recommend reserving a place in each of the 3 cities for a week. All three cities offer a lot to do and there are opportunities for day trips if you run out of things to do in the city.

Have a great time.

GJS

p.s. a night or two in Bruges will also add a really nice side trip.

Bruges is BEAUTIFUL and you will eat and drink well there!

I'm wondering how Rome would be for a single untravelled woman.

I don't know how it would be for a woman but it was an absolutely incredible experience for a single man. I had studied 3 years of latin and 2 years of greek in high school so to actually see the places I had read about was entrancing.

Rome is and was such an essential part of Western civilization that I feel any visit to Europe would be lacking if it wasn't a key stop on the trip.

Oh, and the food!!!

Yes Duncan, Copenhagen is my favourite European "chill" city. I love low rise cities!

Grea, my personal opinion is that a week (i.e. 6 days + 1 day travel) is a bit much, unless absolute relaxation is foremost. Circa 4 days (+ 1 day travelling) is a more stimulating schedule IMO. Maybe consider (especially if you're thinking of travelling by train) stopping over at a few smaller towns in each of your target countries or passing through. That way, you'll get to experience something closer to the real culture of that country, rather than just the capital city stuff. Often much cheaper too, as well as offering variety.

If you're settled on the main choices of Amsterdam, Vienna, Paris, & Rome, then also consider Milan, Monaco, etc. BTW, there's a great fast train service between Amsterdam & Paris called Thalys (Google it).

I would have to spend some time in Southern Germany if it were me. But it would be a revisit since I spent time there in the 70's. Bavaria was much more exciting for me than Amsterdam. I wouldn't do a week in each cith since the countries are small why not see more

I don't know how it would be for a woman but it was an absolutely incredible experience for a single man. I had studied 3 years of latin and 2 years of greek in high school so to actually see the places I had read about was entrancing.

Rome is and was such an essential part of Western civilization that I feel any visit to Europe would be lacking if it wasn't a key stop on the trip.

Oh, and the food!!!

The same can be said for Athens, Greece.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm in trouble now. My head's spinning. Love to see The Parthenon but I think Greece would not be the safest place for now. There's something about ancient ruins, at least to me in a country where you only ever see them in 2D. Love to see the pyramids too but not so much as to deal with Egypt.

Maybe split the 3 weeks into 4 places x 5 days. Not that I need any additional stimulation, Andy (despite Larry's urgings to do pelvic floor exercises). Heck, I get excited just looking at cloud formations from a plane or during takeoff and touchdown so I'm easily pleased. I doubt I'd have problems staying for a week in places but it would be good to fit one more place in.

Which one ... hmmm.

I'm in trouble now. My head's spinning. Love to see The Parthenon but I think Greece would not be the safest place for now. There's something about ancient ruins, at least to me in a country where you only ever see them in 2D. Love to see the pyramids too but not so much as to deal with Egypt.

Maybe split the 3 weeks into 4 places x 5 days. Not that I need any additional stimulation, Andy (despite Larry's urgings to do pelvic floor exercises). Heck, I get excited just looking at cloud formations from a plane or during takeoff and touchdown so I'm easily pleased. I doubt I'd have problems staying for a week in places but it would be good to fit one more place in.

Which one ... hmmm.

I wasn't really suggesting Greece. It was just a comment about Western Civilization. I've only been to Moscow, so I wouldn't have any good ideas. My biggest surprise there was exploring the Russian cuisine. It was really good. I'm not suggesting you should go to Moscow either. Russia is a trip on its own and I would definitely go back there and visit some more. But not anytime soon. I still want a European "proper" vacation, and I've always wanted to see Australia (but that isn't happening anytime soon either).

I've been watching videos online about travelling through central Europe by train. I have got to see Switzerland before I depart this world. Of course the Paiste factory would be a must see.

Last edited:
I've been watching videos online about travelling through central Europe by train. I have got to see Switzerland before I depart this world. Of course the Paiste factory would be a must see.

lol - I'm not enough of a drum gear tragic for that :)

Thanks for suggestions, all. I will run them past a travel agent and see what comes of it.

Paris definitely deserves a week. A week in Amsterdam may be a bit long but it's easy to travel by train in Holland and visit other towns. Copenhagen is a bit like Amsterdam. If you want to see Vienna and include London too, I would not squeeze even more places into the schedule, because you lose a day each time you fly (pack up, get to the airport, wait, eat, fly, get to the hotel, eat...).

Reserve your flights early because prices go through the roof as you get closer to the travel date. If you're tempted by Ryanair or Easyjet low fares, these companies are totally decent and reliable, it's just that they usually fly from a totally out of the way place to a totally out of the way place. For hotels etc there is less urgency as no European is on holidays late Sept/early Oct.

Have fun!

I'm in trouble now. My head's spinning. Love to see The Parthenon but I think Greece would not be the safest place for now.

Oh I wouldn't worry about that. There's some unrest from time to time, but they are desperate to see tourists = money coming to their country.

Another advice comes to mind: you can either choose nice weather, or English spoken. And in Germany you can't get either of the two :)

If you get tired of seeing buildings, streets and squares, you may want to spend some time in Provence (France) or Tuscany (Italy) or one of the very many other gorgeous parts of Europe. That will require a rental car, though, and driving may be a bit challenging compared to the US but you should be able to get an automatic even from smaller rental agencies if you book ahead with the likes of Hertz, Avis...

Back