The Bonham set thread

Yep. Not too hard to comprehend either. I'd like to add 'single pedal only' to the criteria as well.

Chaps my ass seeing some Axis double kick on a Bonham kit, ha ha ha

Exactly, double bass is alright if thats you're thing but I think double bass takes away from the Hi-Hat IMO I also think a early Bonham style kit would be 26,14,18,14 x 6.5.

I like 4-piece LOL, Bonham played a 4-piece on LZ I but with a 24" bd instead of a 26" that was LZ II when he added another floor-tom.

Bonzolead

Ludwig 24"?

What about the tom? 13" or 14" on LZ?
This was just the first album before he got his Ludwig endorsement with help from Carmine Appice the tom he used was a 13" x 9" then he went with a 15" x 12" with 2-26" bass drums until Jimmy Page complained he couldn't. hear nothing but Bass drums on stage so he back to only 1 bass drum from then on.
he went back to a 14" x 10" tom until the Stainless Steel kit in 1976 or 77? I think it was 1977 but not sure which year then he went back to the 15" x 12" tom.

Bonzolead

I just picked up the maple reissue kit (with bags) for 1k. Probably sit on this until things turn around economically. I just had to jump on that deal.

And I also wonder if Ludwig still sells those bassdrum front heads in WHITE :)D) with the SMALL, MODERN (so not vintage like Ringo Starr) Ludwig logo on TOP, as seen on John Bonham's bassdrum in Royal Albert Hall 1970 (Led Zeppelin dvd) & the picture that is attached.

You can get them on Ebay for like 6 bucks each.

Hi all you Bonham fans. I was lucky enough to see them 3 times, twice at city hall newcastle where I was approx 25 ft from stage in front row of the balcony, awesome. Got backstage as well, friendly guys. last time was at earls court, not so intimate, but good.

I saw a discussion about the Ludwig logo on bonzo's green sparkle where someone said they had the plotter/cutter file so I can cut the logo at bonham size for my drummer mate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Is it weird that the first thing I noticed was how awkwardly set up that kit was?

I noticed that also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, somewhat later on.

Its almost if she is making a cross with the sticks to ward off demons?? LOL!

More pics of the little drummer girl.

Attachments

• DSC_2466e.jpg
    DSC_2466e.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,754
  • DSC_2473e.jpg
    DSC_2473e.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,944
  • DSC_2482e.jpg
    DSC_2482e.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,731
  • DSC_2487e.jpg
    DSC_2487e.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 2,560
  • DSC_2450e.jpg
    DSC_2450e.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 1,777
Last edited:
Someone had mentioned starting "the best Bonham set" thread. I guess its really hard to say any one is the best, when they are all relatively the same, and all loved by their owners. But it would be cool for everyone whose got a Bonham setup, to post a pic of their kit here. So here we go...
Bonzopurple.jpg

I love this kit but the Black bass drum has to go. I don't know why Ludwig lets a drum leave the factory like that.

Black heads were all the rage in the 80's. Not too many guys wanted white heads. Then the whole retro thing became popular . Wait around long enough and old becomes new. I predict concert toms will be in fashion again! LOL Anyway I prefer the white heads too but too each his own.

Attachments

• Fabe's Drums003.jpg
    Fabe's Drums003.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 1,585
  • Fabe's Drums012.jpg
    Fabe's Drums012.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 2,381
Back