How long been playing? 5 years self tought
Origin of user name? i own a maxtone kit
Top 5 drummers? chad smith,keth moon,meg white, john bonzo,kenwood dennard
Make of drumkit? maxtone im geting a pearl export soon
Make of cymbal? no make
Where do you practice? my bedroom
Are you in a band/s? was. starting up one soon
Covers or originals? both
What style of music?rock,blues, (love blues)
Favourite take out food? hmmmmmmmm
Country? New zealand
One really odd fact about yourself? i love fruit
How did you start drumming? started taping on my desk at school

New Here

Greetings,

What a great site. A drummer for a number of years now I wish I had found this place earlier, but better late than never. I am very impressed with the number of really talented people here and with the mix of styles, skill level, tastes, and experience that you all have allowed to represent your site.

I am 34, been playing for almost 20 years but only about 15 on set. Before that it was band, band, and more band. The good thing is that I learned how to read music and how to really work the basics of drumming. Rudiments were taught often and although I did not always like it (as I had visions of playing a very large set for Ozzy) it did pay off.

As a set player I have been massively influenced by Tommy Aldridge. Being a huge Ozzy fan for other reasons (Randy Rhodes) I always loved the way Tommy played and tried very hard to emulate his style. I love the way he chokes cymbals, uses dbl kick tastefully and works his solos. His triplets are fun to learn as well. I imagine that today a lot of people might feel as though time has passed Tommy by, but I think it fair to say that he is a solid student of the drums and someone who represented the best of what solid rock drumming is about.

As for other drummers, well, there really are not many I don't like and respect, providing they are solid in one area. Time. I have played with and met, jammed with and been friends with drummers who have insane speed and insane chops but could not keep time. Session drummers, the drumers you never really pay attention to on commercials or the guys out there on tour with simple bubble-gum pop acts, they can all be considered master "metronome" players. Most of them at least.

I am not a huge fan of massive sets unless and until I have become comfortable with something smaller. Keith Moon, Buddy Rich, and others have proven over and over again that a five piece (or so) can be used to produce a great legacy in the art of drumming.

Currently (and do to a number of factors) I am using E-drums. I know, I know, they are not as good as acoustic. True, but they have come a long way. Especially with the mesh heads they are now making. The feel is pretty good. The key is, they have advanced a great deal from the hard rubber junk that they used to make. Anyway, I enjoy them.

So, it is good to be here. I look forward to learning a lot from most of you and perhaps sharing a few things with others.

Thanks for being here.

Best,
Isaacs

Re: New Here

Welcome Issacs! I'm an e-kit player too! Roland TD-8 with mesh for snare and bass, rubber pads for all else. I have an acoustic too but have been on the ekit due to living arrangements, etc the past 10-12 years or so. It takes some getting used to the rebound on acoustics but it's nice to jam out anytime I want on the ekit without bothering anyone.

Anyways, glad you found DW...enjoy!

Re: New Here

WK,

Thanks. I had a chance (don't know if you saw my reply) to view your solo work that you posted here. Nice work and I really like the sound you are getting from your Rolands. Can you tell me a little about your set up. I am going with HART (Studio Pro) and it is a good sounding kit. HART are not the most expensive e-drums but since they were my first kit I did not want to gamble too much. I am sure that I will modify and tweak it as I go. I stay away from the rather odd voices that the module allows in that I really try to keep it sounding as much like an acoustic set as possible. I have not given up on acoustic drums at all but in my present situation they seem to allow me a lot more time to play.

In any case, thanks for the welcome and if you have a chance to let me know what you are using that would be helpful.

Best,
Isaacs

Re: Introduce Yourself

real name? Federico Secchi
age? 28
how long been playing? 18
origin of user name? is my nickname
top 5 drummers? steve smith, gavin harrison, neil peart, carter beauford, cristian meyer
make of drumkit? Pearl MMX 6 pcs
make of cymbal? Zildjian/Paiste
where do you practice? in my "practice room"
are you in a band/s? oh...too many bands...
covers or originals? both
what style of music? jazz standards-rock-prog-italian music-funky
favourite take out food? pizza
country? Italy
one really odd fact about yourself? ..2 summers ago I talked with a pig...I can still remember..
how did you start drumming? ..maybe for girls...I was young...

real name ~ Emma Rock
age ~ 16
how long been playing ~ had a lesson yesterday
origin of user name ~ ...not a clue
top 5 drummers ~ John Bonham, Dennis Chambers, Keith Moo, Steve Gadd, Dave Grohl
make of drumkit ~ I don't own one, but play my boyfriends and ex-boyfriends..who teaches me
make of cymbal ~ again...depends where I'm playing
where do you practice ~ boyfriends/ex-boyfriends
are you in a band/s ~ yes
covers or originals ~ covers for now
what style of music ~ rock/emo/punk...alternative
favourite take out food ~ pizza!
country ~ England
one really odd fact about yourself ~ I can't eat chocolate bars normally...I eat the chocolate off then the middle
how did you start drumming ~ got drunk, suggested I learnt drums to join a band, seems I'm good at drums, so I'm keeping it up!

NUTHA JASON said:
Similar to the thread in the old DW forum, answer the following questions
(all optional)

real name?
age?
how long been playing?
origin of user name?
top 5 drummers?
make of drumkit?
make of cymbal?
where do you practice?
are you in a band/s?
covers or originals?
what style of music?
favourite take out food?
country?
one really odd fact about yourself?
how did you start drumming?

copy and paste these questions into your answer box and lets learn about each other. i'll answer them myself a little later as i have to go to a staff meeting now. Ciao!

j

My name is Mike

I am 32 years old

I started playing at age 7 My family is all a musical family with 2 bands

Hardhitter well I play with a heavy hand

well I really don't have a top 5 I have found that everyone has there style of play and I like them all !!

I have played just about every make of drums there is out there! But I play DWs and Mapex at this time!

cymbols are all sabains

I play here at my house

Yes I'm in a band I have been playing in bands for a long time !

we play all originals

The band that I'm in now is a Death Metal / grindcore band ( extremely fast )

I would have to say that is pizza LOL

USA

I have played everytype or style of music there is! I have really fast hands and feet! I am a very well rounded drummer and have been doing this for years!

How did I start well I have 2 bands all in my family so that would be how!

real name? David
age? 35
how long been playing? couple of years
origin of user name? mixture of surname and the word rider
top 5 drummers? peart, grohl, copeland, mayer, and one free depending on how i feel
make of drumkit? hart dynamics (no acoustic set yet)
make of cymbal? paiste
where do you practice? in my conservatory overlooking the garden
are you in a band/s? sort of
covers or originals? both
what style of music? rock
favourite take out food? Indian
country? UK
one really odd fact about yourself? i'm completely normal
how did you start drumming? slowly and badly

Newcomer...

Hola all. Decided i'd post here to formerly introduce myself. I've been playing for probably about two months now, but moreso since I got my first set this past month (Pearl Forums). Some of you may have already seen me posting in the drum technique forum. I've fallen in love with the drums, and can't stop playing every chance I get. I'm just getting started, and trying to work on some good technique before I develop some bad habits. I've had some friends help me get started along the way, but i'm currently in the progress of getting a left handed teacher to really help me get the fundamentals down. I play with a completely left handed setup, because that's how I started, and that's what I feel most comfortable with. I stumbled on to this forum by, well, looking for drumming forums, a community where I could seek a bit of help/advice and so on. The forums seem pretty nice and i'll be sticking around as long as I can =)

A little about me, i'm 16, slaving through my junior year of high school, just another teenager trying to survive ;) -- Located in Northern Cali!

And I thought i'd just post this here instead of the other picture thread. My set may not be as *impressive* as the rest of you, but hey, everyone's got to start somewhere. Ignore the screaming face however, i'm telling the guitarist to "quiet down" :p

http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kc1747yq.jpg

Drummer World NewComer

hey whats up? my name is Mike and i've been playing drums for 12 years. im 17 years old and i play a royal blue Custom Built Set.

alright enough of that.

Hey I'm Roo :D

Hey everybody,

My name is Roo (formally Andrew) and I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick. I grew up in England, and moved back and forth between Canada and the Middle East, and now I've buried my roots here in in Canada. My first experience with playing a drumset was during a sporting event in the Middle East (specifically the country Qatar) where my school had a trip to nearby country Bahrain to compete with another school. Well, as luck had it, my host who I stayed with (along with another friend called Tom) had a drumset in his room. This guy I was staying with gets up on his set and just goes nuts and its like 11 O'clock at night and I was just mesmerized. He then went on to play the good ol' basic beat that all set players first learn to play.

As this guy I was staying with got off his set, i thought I would give it a whirl. Just like that I played exactly what he had just played with no mistakes, right up to speed. I didn't consider it a big deal until my friend Tom tried afterwards and he couldn't get close. It suddenly hit me that this was something I could try and persue as a hobby when I got home. I immediately raised all the money I had (forcing my brother to pay back some loans :p ) and bought an Indonesian-made "Lazer" 5-piece drumkit. From then on I practiced whenever I possibly could, and started picking up ideas from music and other drummers. As I started progressing, another drummer moved to my community who was quite a bit better than me, which inspired me to start progressing more and more. I started getting involved with jamming with music teachers and participating in productions.

Upon moving back to Canada, I joined my middle-school "Intermediate Concert Band" and got my start at playing classical music. Since then I have considered drumming a really big part of my life, and have progressed greatly since I was 12 years old thanks to my drum teacher Karl Ganz.

I am now 15 years of age (as I post this) and I am the Head Percussionist for my High School Senior Concert Band, Jazz Band drummer, and Musical Drummer/Percussionist. I thrive on meeting and sharing ideas with other drummers. I had a chance to attend a Kenny Arnoff clinic in mid 2005 and got to talk with him afterwards and got autographs. I wish I would have asked him more questions, as since then I have learned crazy amounts about him.

My favourite drummers as of this moment would include Kenny Aronoff, Dennis Chambers, Gregg Bissonette, Buddy Rich, Ringo, John Dolmayan, and Mike Portnoy. I play with a young blues band (me being the youngest) and we are starting to get noticed and will hopefully play in the 2006 Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival. I have very high hopes of being able to one day turn proffessional, with plans to earn a degree in classical percussion after high school.

I am very happy to finally register at the forums here, as I have been completely addicted to Drummerworld for a long time and have spent huge amounts of hours taking in the masses of content here. I hope to become a very active member of this community. Thanks

- - - - Roo

Last edited:
Re: Drummer World NewComer

BadKid2409 said:
hey whats up? my name is Mike and i've been playing drums for 12 years. im 17 years old and i play a royal blue Custom Built Set.

alright enough of that.

Very welcome Mike - welcome on board..

Bernhard

real name?
Riley

age?16

how long been playing?4 Years

origin of user name?Band Name Toxigen im the drummer hense the name Toxegendrummer

top 5 drummers?
Danny Carey - Tool
Justin Foley - Killswitch Engage
Jason Bittner - Shadows Fall
Chris Adler - Lamb Of God
John Boecklin - Devildriver

make of drumkit?
Tama Swingstar Double Bass, Fusion Toms (saving for Tama Superstar EFX)

make of cymbal?
Tama Stock (Saving for Paiste)

where do you practice?
On My own, is in the back shed. being in Western Australia It gets up to 45 Degrees Celsius
With My band. A rehearsal studio that has really cheap rates and Air conditioning (what an invention lol)

are you in a band/s?
Yes

covers or originals?
Original

what style of music?
\m/ Metal \m/

favourite take out food?
Subway

country?
Australia (Perth, Western Australia)

one really odd fact about yourself?
Im not getting any financial assistance for my drum gear. im going to earn it myself with my outstandingly good rates of $8.86 aud an hour (sarcasm)

how did you start drumming?
I used to go to a youth centre and they would host free music lesson and i was known to fidget and tap for hours on end so i decided that i would put this annoying habit into something that had rythm so i decided to take up drumming lol

real name? Steve
age? 37 OMG is looks worse when its in print.
how long been playing? On and off since High School
origin of user name? Last name Costello Hence "Coz"
top 5 drummers? Bohnam, Beaufort (sp), Peart, Igoe, Wessel.
make of drumkit? Forum moving to second kit. Starclass, DW or Yamaha
make of cymbal? Sabian aax & aa
where do you practice? Garage and Jam space.
are you in a band/s? Yes
covers or originals? Mostly originals and a few covers
what style of music? Rock
favourite take out food? Chinese
country? Canada, Vancouver
one really odd fact about yourself? I secretly like Hip hop shhhh.
how did you start drumming? I always thought it was the coolest intrument...turns out I'm bang on!

Nice to find a site with fellow addicts of the beat.

Coz out!

real name?
James

age?14

how long been playing?9months

origin of user name?A few years back i was playing Halo with a friend of mine and was trying to finnish the game but i had to take a leak. As soon as i finnished i jumped up to run to the bathroom and not paying attention i ran into my lampost in my room. All my friends started callin me Lamppost and it just stuck.

top 5 drummers?
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Tommy Aldrige
Ringo Starr
Buddy Rich

make of drumkit?
Custom Kit of various makes

make of cymbal?
Zildjian K and A custom

where do you practice?
Usually in my garage with a few friends or just by myself

Are you in a band/s?
Yes

Covers or originals?
Original

What style of music?
Classic Rock and 80's metal

Favourite take out food?Doesnt matter as long as it isnt cold, or stale.

Country?
U.S.

One really odd fact about yourself?
Nothing really...i dont really do much other then have band practice and sleep.

How did you start drumming?
Ive been playing guitar for a while and my drummer would leave his kit in my garage every now and then so i would just goof around on it and finially decided that i would buy my own set.

whats up, the name is Rick. age 17, been playin for 9 years. 1st 4 years only used a snare drum. all about the metal. cant get enough of going faster every new song my partner in crime and i make. lived in hawaii all my life...try play without pissen off every1 living in the same valley. had cops come up many times for playing while haven parties, always ends up they like what we play. goina record this week so cheak it out.
been playing shows practicly every weekend this past 1/2 year, and all those metal drummers out there im talkin bout this for u guys. gota play plastered or its a no go.
damn this site is the greatest, a total inspiration to me no matter if its jazz 30 years ago to bongos to rock and roll classics to the metal. Rick out

real name? Vinny
age? 15
how long been playing? 3 years
origin of user name? i am a dude that plays drum from New York
top 5 drummers? Mike Portnoy , Neil Pert , Richard Christy , Dave Lombardo
make of drumkit? DW Pacific
make of cymbal? Sabian pro sonixs , ax
where do you practice? My basement
are you in a band/s? Yes 1 band
covers or originals? Both
what style of music? Thrash Metal
favourite take out food? Chinese
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? i play soccer
how did you start drumming? i never got to play drums in school band

real name? Eric
age? 31
how long been playing? 15 years - including taking 6 years off, just picked it back up
origin of user name? My initials + Where I live
top 5 drummers? Peart, Matt Abts, Gadd, Buddy, Stephen Perkins
make of drumkit? Sonor 3005
make of cymbal? Sabian AAX and xs20
where do you practice? In the basement storage area of guitar player's office
are you in a band/s? Yes
covers or originals? Both
what style of music? Rock
favourite take out food? Sushi
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? Quit my bank job, sold everything that didn't fit in my car and moved to the mountains - almost 8 years ago
how did you start drumming? Visiting my grandmother one summer age 8 or 9, their neighbor had a kid about my age with a set. I spent hours over there annoying the rest of the neighborhood, but was hooked.

real name? Bradley
age? 15
how long been playing? 2 Years
origin of user name? I'm a nerd, though I own some preppie clothing from the thrift store
top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Keith Moon, Bill Ward, Stewart Copeland, Ginger Baker, John Bonham, Kenny Aronoff
make of drumkit? Mapex
make of cymbal? Paiste
where do you practice? Basement
are you in a band/s? Yes
covers or originals? Originals
what style of music? We're working on it
favourite take out food? Pizza
country? No
one really odd fact about yourself? I've been black on two different occasions
how did you start drumming? School concert band

Last edited:

real name? Steve
age? 28
how long been playing? 18 years
origin of user name? everyone in my family
top 5 drummers? Carter Beauford, Neil Pert, John Bonham, Dave Weckl and Steve Gadd
make of drumkit? Premier
make of cymbal? Paiste/Sabian
where do you practice? In my son's room
are you in a band/s? No
covers or originals? Originals and Covers
what style of music? Alternative, Metal, Classic Rock, Rock, Fusion, Jazz, Latin, Studio Drumming
favourite take out food? Italian
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? I was strong Mormon and am now an Ex-mormon
how did you start drumming? I begged my Mom and Dad to by me a kit when I was 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back