Moongel practice pads??

mattsdrums

Has anyone here used the moongel practice pads?

Just wondering how anybody is getting on with them & the whole "no bounce" concept as a means for strengthening wrists/improving wrist control & technique etc ...

would be interested to hear what anybody has to say..

Moongels practice pads are a colossal waste of money. As stated, a pillow is just as effective. It worked wonders for Dennis Chambers.

Playing on one of them might as well been a sandwich bag full of jell-o.

Chambers said in an interview once that he would practice on a pillow, then tape a quarter to the pillow and practice hitting only the quarter, then would do the same with a phone book under each arm.

Which, perhaps, explains why his singles are so fast. ;-)

wouldnt that make you have a funny feel and loose control when playing with a proper bounce?

Chambers said in an interview once that he would practice on a pillow, then tape a quarter to the pillow and practice hitting only the quarter, then would do the same with a phone book under each arm.

Which, perhaps, explains why his singles are so fast. ;-)

interesting concept! I guess that kind of dedication has made him what he is today!

If you want "no bounce" practice on a mattress or pillow.

I do this sometimes (a throw back to practising my Timpani parts when I did orchestral work) .... just wondered if anyone had actually used the moongel pads and how they felt in comparison to other methods. I guess laying singles or wrist controlled doubles into anything with no bounce will have the same strengthening effect...

The moongel pad is awsome. Used to play on a pillow too before, but the pad is way better. You can take it anywhere and it feels great to play. It's also very quiet. The price range on the pad is quite big, but i found mine for like 20 buks. I've seen them for 60-70 and well then it's probably not worth it.

Pillow will have the exact same effect and more than likely you have an old pillow lying around you can use ;-)

Pillow will have the exact same effect and more than likely you have an old pillow lying around you can use ;-)

I was actually yelled at by a prominent Connecticut drum teacher when he found out I warmed up while playing singles on a pillow!
That really ticks me off because I always felt I was right in doing so.

As for the moongel pads..they might be fun to push on with you fingers till the fun wears off. Long live the pillow!

Back