Are ear buds good?

polarbeer1987

Are using ear buds to practice worthwhile or are they too damaging for your hearing? is it better to go for the muffled headphones by vic firth or what?

You'd be better off with the vic firths or something like the in ears like the EC2's from Shure or one of the other brands that do a similar thing by sealing up the ears. The earbuds that ship with MP3 players and Ipods won't really seal out any sound.

Yeah, I agree. You should deffinitely get some Vic Firth Isolation headphones or something. Thats what I use....reletively inexpensive, and they've held up great since I bought them 2 years ago. They work really well too!

Ya man, you're gonna kill your hearing REALLY quick using ipod earbuds and the like. I would recommend the vic firth isolation headphones - cheap and effective.

I guess thousands of performers worldwide are wrong (and killing their hearing) for using in-ear isolation monitors then?!?! myself included....

he's talking about just for practice.

ive never used in ear monitors, but looking to buy some..

they work best for Live use. not that they arent good for practice, but the Vic Firth Iso headphones are prolly a better choice for just practicing..

Alex

I guess thousands of performers worldwide are wrong (and killing their hearing) for using in-ear isolation monitors then?!?! myself included....

It entirely depends on what the original poster meant by ear buds. Non-isolating are utterly pointless, obviously the player would have to raise the level to damaging potential in order to hear the music over their own playing. On the other hand, in-ear, isolating monitors are a great idea.

I use Ultimate Ears...as in-ear monitors...and practice headphones...and ear plugs...and for my Zune. Truth is...my UE's are just a high quality set of dual-driver headphones that are fit well and are designed to fit over-the-ear applications. You can get a Shure SCL-cheaper series, which is single-driver...but much cheaper and still effective. There are plenty of "ear-buds (ipod, ear candy, etc) that are effective at blocking out external volume....none of which will ruin your hearing or practicing experience. Driving superloud music through them, practice or just music listening WILL ruin your ears. As will getting blasted by monitors (wedges, PA).

The whole point of isolation earphones is that you can listen at regular volumes without having to defeat the loud externals (guitar, bass, singing, yourself).

So if you're going to practice with "earbuds"...go right ahead. I don't see a point in buying multiple isolation devices when my UE's work for every application I can think of.

I use Ultimate Ears...as in-ear monitors...and practice headphones...and ear plugs...and for my Zune. Truth is...my UE's are just a high quality set of dual-driver headphones that are fit well and are designed to fit over-the-ear applications. You can get a Shure SCL-cheaper series, which is single-driver...but much cheaper and still effective. There are plenty of "ear-buds (ipod, ear candy, etc) that are effective at blocking out external volume....none of which will ruin your hearing or practicing experience. Driving superloud music through them, practice or just music listening WILL ruin your ears. As will getting blasted by monitors (wedges, PA).

The whole point of isolation earphones is that you can listen at regular volumes without having to defeat the loud externals (guitar, bass, singing, yourself).

So if you're going to practice with "earbuds"...go right ahead. I don't see a point in buying multiple isolation devices when my UE's work for every application I can think of.

I think the OP was referring to the earbuds that ship with mp3 players not the more isolation style in ears.

And secondly...If I saw correct, the Vic Firth Isolation headphones are roughly $60...which would be on the high-side of cheap. I had a set of iPod in-ear earphones (with the reverse flange) and they did well for my practice...although not entirely comfortable...which started my search for more comfy in-ears.

I don't like total-cover ear-phones (like the VF's)..but some might prefer it.

My point is this. "Comfort" should justify the need, use, and particular flavor of ear-protection that musicians utilize and cater to.

-Comfort for fit (inner or outer ear)
-Comfort for sound (both external noise reduction AND internal volume management)
-Comfort in longevity (being able to sustain at-length practice, shows, recording, etc)
-Comfort in expense

I found that even though I spent more on a high quality set of in-ears (almost $200), what I got what a multi-use, fantastic set of in-ears...designed for the purpose of monitoring...but exceeds their value four-fold as regular headphones, isolation headphones, and recording/studio headphones, and straight up ear plugs.

Why scrimp for the cheapest thing you can find...when in the end, if you saved a little $$$ for the better, you'd get more return from your investment?

I think the OP was referring to the earbuds that ship with mp3 players not the more isolation style in ears.

I see your point, and acknowledge accordingly...just some of the following advice I felt was mis-leading.

There's obviously quite a big difference between $20 ipod earbuds and $180 EC2 Shure Isolation Earbuds. And although I would recommend the EC2s, they're too expensive for most people, hence why I only mentioned the Vic Firths.

There's obviously quite a big difference between $20 ipod earbuds and $180 EC2 Shure Isolation Earbuds. And although I would recommend the EC2s, they're too expensive for most people, hence why I only mentioned the Vic Firths.

Not in so many ways though...

The iPod iso-ears I used (which I still have)...sounded great, and did a particularly good job at isolating outside noise out. I was surprised because the thin rubber flange that seals the ear canal didn't seem like it would do so well. iPod has a good reputation for their earbuds (all varieties) and they did not disappoint. The only thing that detracted from me using them was the design of the cord falling straight down the ear vice an over-the-ear design, which is more secure when playing.

With Shure, and other companies, now producing a leaner version of the more expensive models...the SCL-1/ EC-1(?) for roughly $100...yeah, they're up there for price, but I think it's worth it in the end.

And, you're right...the VF's at $60 are a bargain...if you are comfortable with the fully-covered earphone. And yet still, there is plenty of very price-reasonable earbuds, earphones, in-ears...for under $40 that isolate sound well.

The bottom line is...ANYTHING that will help protect and conserve your hearing is a worthy investment.

BTW....many years ago...I used wadded pieces of toilet paper for hearing protection.

man, thanks for the replies, very helpful stuff.
i am sorry i did not specify about the earbuds (fact is i did not realise there was difference in, in-ear and normal ones :S) i was referring to the in-ear earbuds. like the stuff that shure makes. i was really considering getting one of the cheaper pairs. i was just wondering that those especially since they go straight into the ear that they may be very damaging to the ear especially with the volume of the drums adding to it.

i am most worried about damaging my ears. i have been using some industrial ear muffs with my normal ear buds underneath them but the drums sound extremely bass-y. that is why i asked about the vic firth isolation, if those would be bass-y as well? so well i guess now to be more precise in the question is: which is better a vic firth isolation ear phones or the shure in-ear ear buds?

i am most worried about damaging my ears. i have been using some industrial ear muffs with my normal ear buds underneath them but the drums sound extremely bass-y. that is why i asked about the vic firth isolation, if those would be bass-y as well? so well i guess now to be more precise in the question is: which is better a vic firth isolation ear phones or the shure in-ear ear buds?

It's a comfort-thing.

Both do exactly the same thing. One inner ear, one around the ear...but both block outside noise and allow you to control the volume going to your ears at a manageable level that is not damaging to your hearing. The whole point is not having to defeat the excessive levels coming from the amps/speakers/monitors.

Back