Pearl Reference Pure drums

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Just throwin' this out there, but does anyone have these drums? I've never ventured around Pearl drums, and have never even seen or played their top-flight drums (hard to believe, I know) but after meeting up with Kevin Packard at the Pearl room at NAMM, and having the man himself show me around the different drum kits and getting to play them a bit, the concept of using different woods and bearing edge cuts depending on the size of the drum was a bit of a new revelation for me.

I was aware of the Tama birch/bubinga stuff, and other combinations of woods, but to me, all the drums in the kit were made this way, and usually that 'second' ply of different woods was always in between the main plies of birch or maple, depending on who made the drum.

But to see a solid maple 12" tom, and as the drums got bigger, they'd add African mahogony, and gave it a different bearing edge - snares got some plies of birch - it was very cool to hear the kit just get more thunderous as you went down the line. Their Session Studio Classics did this as well, but those shells were the same throughout the kit, the effect of the Reference Pure drums was multiplied exponentially in contrast.

I hate to say it, but I was extremely impressed, as my years observing Pearl was seen through "Export-colored-glasses". If anyone actually using these drums can chime in if what I say is true or not, it'd be nice to hear from someone outside of Pearl saying it.

I don't have the Pures but I have the original Reference. They are extremely well made from top to bottom. The concept they use really does work and its very well thought out. The rack toms are fairly similar to other high quality kits. As you stated, the larger drums sound insanely deep, with the added mahogany plies. The floor toms and kick drums have so much beef to their sound. The original Refs are thicker and heavier than the Pures, but I'm assuming the results are similar.

Bruce

I don't have the Pures but I have the original Reference. They are extremely well made from top to bottom. The concept they use really does work and its very well thought out. The rack toms are fairly similar to other high quality kits. As you stated, the larger drums sound insanely deep, with the added mahogany plies. The floor toms and kick drums have so much beef to their sound. The original Refs are thicker and heavier than the Pures, but I'm assuming the results are similar.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce - its good to hear it from an actual user. In the Pearl room, the Reference and Reference Plus were set up next to each other so I could see and hear the differences, and the only visual difference is the lugs. Of course, the Reference Pures are made thinner and end up being about 30% lighter compared to regular Reference. I was impressed. In a way, it was like I was looking at thin vintage shells, with enough beef where necessary. But that sound coming off of the floor toms was absolutely monstrous, and literally shook the stage it was on.

I would be hard-pressed to have heard any difference if Pearl was on the regular convention floor like last year - that open environment is so loud. This year, them being in their own room really helped. And I got lucky in that it wasn't really crowded and people were being quiet!

Pearl's top stuff is great. Whether their wood blending and edge styles make a huge difference or not (more marketing mojo than anything as far as I'm concerned) they're some of the best drums money can buy, for sure.

I frankensteined a Pearl Masterworks kit, and have known for years these were a cut above the competition. The Reference and Ref pure line are based on same principal and meticulous construction as the Masterworks but are a solid recipe as opposed to allowing the buyer to alter the plys, sizes finish etc. Pearl also boils the glue by heat pressing the plys which I think makes for a shell that resembles a solid one ply shell, yet still retains the high strength of a multi ply shell. The tone of these drums seems to compound and multiply as you lean harder into them. I am very critical of mass produced factory drums in general, but I have nothing negative to say about these models.
Yamaha has tried to do the same concept with their Phoenix line, never played a set, but they probably sound great too.

I always like the reference kits when I have played them (Very little). However I did work with a guy one time that had a reference kit in bop sizes. He told me he loved them when he got them but after awhile he said the kit didn't seem to fit together. He ended up trading them in for a set of Gretsch New Classic kit. I have never heard of anyone else who had this problem but then again I don't know many people who have played them.

Pearl's top stuff is great. Whether their wood blending and edge styles make a huge difference or not (more marketing mojo than anything as far as I'm concerned) they're some of the best drums money can buy, for sure.

I won't argue about marketing mojo but I do know bearing edge cuts make a huge difference. Take the sharp 45-degree angle and compare that to drums with a flatter bevel. Ludwig has proven this already with their new Club Date drums. It be interesting to see solid maple drums with different edges. But I liked what I heard.

I won't argue about marketing mojo but I do know bearing edge cuts make a huge difference. Take the sharp 45-degree angle and compare that to drums with a flatter bevel. Ludwig has proven this already with their new Club Date drums. It be interesting to see solid maple drums with different edges. But I liked what I heard.

So Bo, when are you buying one?

Guys trust me, as a Ref owner I can tell you the concept isn't marketing hype. You basically have a maple kit. Every Ref drum size starts with maple. Plies of other wood species have been added, to take advantage of the sound properties of those woods. Birch adds high end, we know that. So, birch plies are added to 8 and 10's to take advantage of that. The 12 is fully maple. Starting with 13's, mahogany is added to take advantage of the low end mahogany produces, and bearing edges are rounded on those larger drums to also increase the warmth of those drums. None of this is that earth shattering, except the way Pearl varies from drum to drum on the same kit. Hybrid shells have existed since Ludwig used them way back. Many drum makers have kits now with hybrid shells. And, some have lines with different bearing edge profiles. Pearl isn't the only one to offer these options, except for the variation within the same kit.

Supposedly, Pearl had so many requests from Masterworks buyers to custom order kits with similar specs, they came up with the idea for this line. They got drummers and engineers together and prototypes were developed of different variations on this theme. They played all of these and took feedback from the group on which were the most appealing ply configurations, sound wise. That's how they came up with the exact ply formula they use. Its ingenious as far as I'm concerned. And, it works. I have your standard 10 12 14 16 22, and I can tell you my kit blends very well. I'm just as happy with it now, as when I bought it 3.5 years ago. The original Refs are heavy as all get-out, so my kit stays home. As Bo mentioned, the Pures are lighter weight.

I can also tell you that Pearl is an awesome company to deal with. I'm a huge Yamaha guy, but Pearl handles their business the right way. The higher end kits/drums include a lifetime warranty to the original owner. That's right, lifetime! And, they are responsive to customers and stand behind their product. Some of the nightmare stories I've read on this forum from other new drum buyers... wow...With Pearl, you won't have those issues. Pearl will even let you custom order add-ons if your finish has been discontinued.

Here is an old Ref video from Pearl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixY3cQHmok
I actually don't like how Dennis Chambers' kit sounds. The snare sounds like a tin can. But I really like Omar's kit. This is one thing that helped convince me to buy my kit.

Bruce

They got drummers and engineers together and prototypes were developed of different variations on this theme. They played all of these and took feedback from the group on which were the most appealing ply configurations, sound wise. That's how they came up with the exact ply formula they use.

How many drummers? How many engineers? Who were they? I would have to see proof and the results of this "research" to believe it actually happened, as well as how the tests were created. As far as I can tell, all these companies drive their technological "advances" by marketing departments, in the hopes of solving problems that don't exist.

I'll be impressed when I can buy drums with the number of lugs I want, in the diameter and depth I want. Last time I checked, most companies don't even offer a 15" floor tom anymore. Others don't offer shallower bass drums anymore (only 16" or deeper).

Pearls drums are great, but no way am I going to buy this shell "formula" they're claiming is so fabulous. And they've really lost me with their hardware (which I used to use a lot of).

I have played on a few Reference kits. I wasn't that impressed. The reasoning and method sounds good, but it just doesn't translate that well into an actual kit. Well, at least not the way Pearl has produced them. Pearl drums sound "sterile" to me. A good, modern drum sound, but no outstanding character. Not my cup of tea, but that's just me.

I have played a reference pure but I had more fun on a reference that a friend owns. Maybe because of the environment I was playing it in. They look awesome too.

I thought they were both top kits and I'd happily own them.

Just throwin' this out there, but does anyone have these drums? I've never ventured around Pearl drums, and have never even seen or played their top-flight drums (hard to believe, I know) but after meeting up with Kevin Packard at the Pearl room at NAMM, and having the man himself show me around the different drum kits and getting to play them a bit, the concept of using different woods and bearing edge cuts depending on the size of the drum was a bit of a new revelation for me.

I was aware of the Tama birch/bubinga stuff, and other combinations of woods, but to me, all the drums in the kit were made this way, and usually that 'second' ply of different woods was always in between the main plies of birch or maple, depending on who made the drum.

But to see a solid maple 12" tom, and as the drums got bigger, they'd add African mahogony, and gave it a different bearing edge - snares got some plies of birch - it was very cool to hear the kit just get more thunderous as you went down the line. Their Session Studio Classics did this as well, but those shells were the same throughout the kit, the effect of the Reference Pure drums was multiplied exponentially in contrast.

I hate to say it, but I was extremely impressed, as my years observing Pearl was seen through "Export-colored-glasses". If anyone actually using these drums can chime in if what I say is true or not, it'd be nice to hear from someone outside of Pearl saying it.

Matt, I don't have a Reference Pure set but do have a Reference set and they do sound very good....

Yes, Pearl doesn't get much attention or respect in these parts.
I have a MHP Masters Mahogany Premium Limited Edition Bop kit - 4 ply African Mahogany with 3 ply maple re-rings. They are top notch quality and sound fantastic. Again, not a Reference Pure kit but just another very positive experience with high end Pearl.
I have a good friend with a reference kit, same deal. Hybrid edges, plies, etc. They look great, sound great. Reliable.
We would all stand up and cheer if they did away with the tom holder and came up with something new though...

I like your "Export colored glasses" comment, can I use that ?

Neal

I like your "Export colored glasses" comment, can I use that ?

I suppose I just coined a phrase, but sure you can use it!

When I met with the men from Pearl (Kevin Packard introduced me to the west coast artist rep, and the President of the Company) I just explained to them that my impression of Pearl was not great. I knew Ed Shaugnessy and Louie Bellson played them back in the 70s, even Bernard Purdie played them at one point, but when I got to college, they had an old beat-up Pearl 5-piece that was that wood-fiberglass combination, and that was my first bad impression because I had to play it and it was just horrible. Then when every kid I met in the 80s had an Export in all those gaudy colors it was even more of a turn off.

Yes, I realized that there were high-end Pearl, and very good players were playing them, but nobody ever had them in stock, so you never saw them, and I eventually believed that whatever they were doing was so generic as to not even be worth the look.

NAMM or not, the men from Pearl seemed to understand this and maybe my impression wasn't only me. They've been doing great things in their neck of the woods but they seem to understand they're sorta' fighting their past reputation of the Export (which leads me to believe why they discontinued the line in the first place, then brought it back due to popular demand). I told them I was really impressed with the Session Studio Classic line of drums, but Kevin wanted to personally show me the Reference Pure line, and I was quite impressed. He was even stressing the fact that a high-end drum kit is forever, like a fine watch that gets handed down to the next generation, which led to discussion of the lifetime warranty to the original owner - I'm not sure what that entails but I think the only other lifetime warranty out there is for Craftsman tools! So a company willing to stand that much behind their products is noteworthy, don't you think?

We'll see if I'm so impressed I'd get a kit, but after meeting Pearl people and comparing them to other drum company people I met this past weekend, they seemed more caring and understanding about what I needed and not so much doing the "what do we have to do to get you behind one of our kits?" [EDIT - I suppose I should point out that I was impressed that they'd take the time with me, it's not like I'm anybody and they're certainly selling alot of drums without me anyway]. Kevin knows of my love for the Ludwigs and knows I just got the new ones, so he's not pushing anything, which is really cool on a friend-level ;)

Last edited:
I'll be impressed when I can buy drums with the number of lugs I want, in the diameter and depth I want. Last time I checked, most companies don't even offer a 15" floor tom anymore. Others don't offer shallower bass drums anymore (only 16" or deeper).

As previously mentioned, Pearl Masterworks lets you do exactly that (minus the lug quantity specifications). I got a 15" floor tom and a 20x15" bass drum with exactly the number of lugs I wanted and the exact appearance as well by going the custom route with a smaller builder, and it turned out well.

As previously mentioned, Pearl Masterworks lets you do exactly that (minus the lug quantity specifications). I got a 15" floor tom and a 20x15" bass drum with exactly the number of lugs I wanted and the exact appearance as well by going the custom route with a smaller builder, and it turned out well.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's being complained about here. I have noticed that every high-end drum company will make whatever you want. Some companies do it more easily than others, but they will do it. Perhaps people want more selections from the cheaper lines? I know that's not going to happen. That's why they're the cheaper lines, right?

As far as I know, Pearl has always had a great reputation when it comes to drums. My buddy has a Masterworks kit that I thoroughly enjoy playing. I also got to play on a pure kit at a local GC (there are are no decent local shops here). I loved them.

As far as I know, Pearl has always had a great reputation when it comes to drums. My buddy has a Masterworks kit that I thoroughly enjoy playing. I also got to play on a pure kit at a local GC (there are are no decent local shops here). I loved them.

Speaking of nobody having them in stock to check out, I was surprised Brady Drums were at NAMM this year - absolutely beautiful drums. However, due to their display size, and being next to a concession booth and the bathrooms, the two drumsets they had were on stages raised up off the floor so high, you could only look at them. They brought a bunch of snare drums, but each one was cranked into it's stand so you couldn't easily just pick it up to check out. It would have been nice to be able to play the drums and get the full Brady experience! Maybe they'll do better next year if they come back.

I had a 20/10/12/14 set of Pearl Reference drums and IMO, the build quality is second to no other drumset I've owned or even seen. They are absolutely top shelf drums in every way. Again, my opinion.

I'll take it a step further and say that I think Pearl makes killer stuff all around. Their Sensitone snare drums are nicer quality than the drums they're emulating (at half the price) and their more reasonably priced "pro" drumsets (Masters MCX, Session Studio, etc...) are higher quality than most other sets in that same price range.

I really like their stuff personally.

I've never played/owned a Reference Pure, but I can only imagine how nice it is. Top shelf all the way.

Back