Keith Carlock

Keith Carlock- the next Steve Gadd

Steely Dan- Everything must Go, brilliant album full of solid grooves like Aja and the drum sound is much better than Two Against the Nature (Tin sounding!), the drummer is young Keith Carlock., sounds like Steve Gadd in a lot of ways.

Solid neat serious snare sound.

Re: Keith Carlock- the next Steve Gadd

Wow!

That's what I just posted on another thread 'bout 15 minutes ago! Hee...hee...

I consider Keith Carlock as the "modern" Steve Gadd.

I love KC! So smooth. So refreshing. So stylish. And so unique in a lot of ways, too.

Yea, they both had ISOG. Some other drummers have it as well, but Steve & Keith's ISOG level is super high.

I saw Keith play live not long ago and I was loving it. I was wondering what a good first CD would be to pick up with him on drums. Some people say his work with Oz Noy stands out really well. Is the live record the best? Or is there a studio record that I should get?

I picked up the Oz Noy Trio Live CD a week ago and was blown away by Keith's playing. This release gets my recommendation.

JR

Yea, they both had ISOG. Some other drummers have it as well, but Steve & Keith's ISOG level is super high.

ISOG? Intense sense of groove? what does that mean?

Re: Anyone digging Keith Carlock?

Holy crap, YES! Kieth is a certified groove merchant! Unbelievably clean and tasty on the Steely Dan stuff. I saw him about two years ago in New York with Wayne Krantz, Tim Lefevre (LeFay?) on bass and Dave Binney on sax. Sick. Totally sick.

Lately I've been digging on this group that he plays in called Rudder. It's keyboardist Henry Hey's project. Haven't heard the new stuff with Krantz but now I'll probably have to.

Holy crap, YES! Kieth is a certified groove merchant! Unbelievably clean and tasty on the Steely Dan stuff.

For sure! Case in point: Try keeping the rhythm to "Godwhacker" (from Everything Must Go) for the duration of the song. It's not as easy as it initially sounds.

Holy crap, YES! Kieth is a certified groove merchant! Unbelievably clean and tasty on the Steely Dan stuff. I saw him about two years ago in New York with Wayne Krantz, Tim Lefevre (LeFay?) on bass and Dave Binney on sax. Sick. Totally sick.

Lately I've been digging on this group that he plays in called Rudder. It's keyboardist Henry Hey's project. Haven't heard the new stuff with Krantz but now I'll probably have to.
LeFebvre I believe. Wayne Krantz is a badd man. The song Sk8 by Rudder is pure gold.

i do. his style is completely unique to him....

Just heard some Krantz, Carlock, Lefebvre tunes and they are sick, really worth checking out, I know they are playing NY in dec if anyones going to be around

Keith is a phenomenal groove player!! I got his new dvd - and as some mentioned in the thread, in a certain way he seems to do only 2 things in his playing, but it still rocks, and grooves, and blows you away. He does some Oz Noy, Rudder and Steely Dan stuff, answers questions from his small (!) master class audience, and probably some more, I have to watch it to the end yet.

The new record by Oz (Schizophrenic) is excellent too, by the way, highly recommended!! It also features Dave Weckl on a few pieces, and for the exception of one Dave surprised me with some really tasty and grooving drumming! (Which doesn't mean he hasn't taste and groove always, but I couldn't really imagine him fitting into Oz's music first...)

Thanks Bernhard! By the way, my description of the DVD was a little poor, I meant he actually plays to Oz Noy backing tracks as well as Rudder tracks, he "just" discusses and plays Steely Dan grooves without any music behind him, but it's worth it anyway. And he's joined by Wayne Krantz and Tim Lefebvre for some great jamming.
The DVD gives you great insight in Keiths mind, and in grooving in general. I find it totally inspiring, his awesome playing really gets you, and just listening to him almost makes you a better groove player :D.

Last edited:
Just two actual new pictures from Keith. All the best greetings.....and he looks so good, happy and healthy...he's the man!!

Bernhard

Attachments

• keith1.jpg
    keith1.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,708
  • keithcarlock2.jpg
    keithcarlock2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 4,410
Back