The Positive Post Campaign - Mike Johnston

Agreed 100%. Too much trash talking out there that only serves to discourage people. Count me in.

All true..... I always try to do my best not to condone someone's playing.

Additionally I try to go out of my way to state that just because the music isn't my "bag" doesn't mean it's not valid. Similarly, why should I think the music I play is the only valid music. In fact, it's only valid to me.

I especially love the part about him talking about someone saying negative stuff about someone elses playing due to their own insecurities. So true...

I have a theory that I posted in a recent thread I believe some people think they are "that good" as a result of being told by others they are so. I guess once they've been told it so many times, they believe it themselves. Those people are sad in many ways, they just don't know it.

My 2 simple rules are:
1 - Never belittle a student.
2 - We are all students.

I love this...it's exactly what this forum has done for me. :).

Great message. I think this goes with so much more than just playing the drums. We as people need to encourage each other in our endeavours. I wonder how many people have just given up because of negative comments, or no positive encouragment at all?

Great message. I think this goes with so much more than just playing the drums. We as people need to encourage each other in our endeavours. I wonder how many people have just given up because of negative comments, or no positive encouragment at all?

I couldn't agree with you more!

You never know how much negativity another person has had to endure and one more negative comment could be all they need to give up completely, something positive can completely turn that around - whatever aspect of life it may be.

I really respect Mike a lot for doing this, hopefully right now there's some people out there who needed a bit less hate and a bit more encouragement, who are getting just that! :)

Just shared it on facebook. I think it's a good idea. I met Mike not too long ago as he gave a clinic in a store where I teach. I got to meet a really good drummer and an even better human being. After seeing that clinic and getting to know a bit more about him I can say that I appreciate him and what he does to the drumming community much more.

IMO- The greatest insult is the complete absence of replies whenever someone posts in the Your Playing section or wherever (negative feedback/ constructive criticism at least implies someone has taken an interest).
FYI- there are currently over 1200 threads with zero replies in the Your Playing section alone (that's a lot of discouraged drummers right there).

Great idea/concept, and I do feel guilty to some degree. I tend to pick out the negative aspects and what can be criticized - because personally that's what I tend to do, in order to identify what could be worked on for better overall results. But this can be interpreted by others like ranting.

Todd is right, many threads in the My Playing section go uncommented. Although often times that's because (my guess, and from my experience) people don't always have the time/mood to sit down and check out stuff...

IMO- The greatest insult is the complete absence of replies whenever someone posts in the Your Playing section or wherever (negative feedback/ constructive criticism at least implies someone has taken an interest).
FYI- there are currently over 1200 threads with zero replies in the Your Playing section alone (that's a lot of discouraged drummers right there).
I completely get that. Accordingly, I try my best with the time I have, to reply to as many as I can. That said, there are also some that I don't reply to, unless there's something exceptional going on. For example, players who don't engage in any other part of the forum, but just post a link to their cover on as many sites as possible. I get the promotional reasons for doing that, but equally, I feel no obligation to respond. TBH, I have little time for drum covers anyhow. Someone who takes an active role in the forum is another matter all together. Similarly, someone posting their playing for the first time, whether an active forum participant or not, gets a response from me more often than not.

I'm always positive, never negative in terms of my general demeanour, but there are sometimes negative aspects to what I have to say. Sorry, criticism is negative by it's very nature, but should always be delivered in a positive & supportive way. Saying overtly positive things for the sake of it may indeed be an insult in itself. There's a fine line to be drawn, & every context is different. Clearly, you're not going to use the same bar with a seasoned player than you are with someone who is very early in their journey. Similarly, you're not going to react in the same way to someone who proclaims they're a superstar drummer as you do to someone who is humble in their presentation.

Be happy in your shell, & encourage others to be the same, & you'll not go far wrong.

In my view, there's just nothing to say most of the time. That's not to say their playing is bad, or excellent or anywhere in between, it's just that somebody posting up their playing (unless it has a unique property) is not a great conversation starter.

Agree with this completely , count me in. However, I've seen some drummers getting worse by the years, just my opinion.

I'm sure I've been guilty in the past. Must do better.

Anyway, I spent a week with Mike in his drum camp and he's a straight-ahead top bloke.

He has suffered from trolls himself and so he knows how it feels.

Davo

I can't understand why people make nasty comments. As my old mum used to say, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." It's unforgivable. And that's why all my YouTube videos are unlisted.

However, it's all too easy to be taken the wrong way when comments are merely written down. There's no inflexion in the voice, no little smile, no raised eybrows which can soften words that might otherwise sound a little harsh even if that isn't the intention.

I haven't ventured into the Your Playing section yet, partly because I don't feel qualified to comment on somebody else's playing. Then again, if I simply said "I really liked that!", would that be a completely meaningless comment, coming from somebody like me rather than from somebody who knew what they were talking about?

I find that I'm guilty of not checking the My Playing section and that stops today.

Mike is a great drummer who is willing to share his talant and knowledge with anyone who wants it,but there is always the sefl centered troll that posts something nnot just negative,but hurtful in responce.

I guess it takes all kinds,but I do like his post on this and if we all just said ANYTHING positive,then maybe this forum and the internet as a whole,would be more of a positive experience.

Mirror,Mirror on the wall.....

Steve B

Back