Neal Smith

Yopps

I've done a search and I couldn't find him on here...

With Alice Cooper band finally getting inducted in the hall of fame I think the time is right to give Neal Smith a thread on DW.

He's a massive influence on me. Cut my teeth learning that intro to Billion Dollar Babies. He has produced some pretty inovative drum parts on those early Alice records (Halo of Flies OH MY GOD!) and is one of the earliest rock drummer I can think of that added elements of showmanship with a massive (more drums then Keith Moon HAHA!) mirror/chrome finished kit and glam style makeup......

Oh so underrated......

Not only was Neil a big fan of Moon ... they were in friendly competition, of sorts ...​
It has been stated by Alice Cooper and Bob Ezrin, producer of the band, that Smith would frequently call the drummer of The Who, Keith Moon, and ask him how many drums he had. It was a priority of Smith's to always have one more drum than Moon. Alice Cooper confirmed this in an interview included in the video compilation "Prime Cuts".​

I have to concur about Neal. What a great, great drummer. I'd stack that run of albums from Love It To Death through Billion Dollar Babies against any band in history, and Neal is definitely a large part of that.

Halo of Flies, Billion Dollar Babies, Generation Landslide, Killer; the list is endless!

I've heard that the original group is supposed to be reuniting this year. I can't wait!

mirrored-kit.jpg

neal is amazing....when i started playing, he was my biggest influence...on top of being such a kick ass and creative drummer, one of the few guys out there who was a true rock star....in my eyes, he can do no wrong....\m/

neal is amazing....when i started playing, he was my biggest influence...on top of being such a kick ass and creative drummer, one of the few guys out there who was a true rock star....in my eyes, he can do no wrong....\m/

Same here. He was THE GUY that got me started with drums. Billion Dollar Babies and Halo of Flies being the two primary pieces but as I got further into the Alice Cooper catalog I found even more material that was astounding (Raped and Freezing, My Stars, Black Juju, ect). I know that the guys in the original Alice Cooper Group were not the most technical or skilled players out their, but they had a style and attitude that could not be replicated and this was especially true with Neal and his drumming. I think he (Neal Smith), along with bassist Dennis Dunaway, was the most proficient with his instrument in the band. Alice himself was a O.K. singer and the two guitarists were proficient players but not great by any means, but the tag team of Neal Smith and Dennis Dunaway was/is one of the most underrated drum+bass rhythm sections in rock music.

you got that right, bro....neal, on top of being a very inventive drummer, was one of the finest showsman in drumming....his style and attitude on and off the kit totally captivated me as a young lad learning how to play....dreaming one day, it would be me, playing behind alice....i owe mr. smith a huge debt for the inspiration....

thanks neal......\m/

Just out of interest, Smith's kit in the early Alice Cooper days was a Slingerland (same as Buddy Rich but BIGGER!). I believe Neal now deals in property.

neal used slingerlands until he started endorsing premier, around the BDB period....he now primarily use DW kits, but rumour has it he still has all of his old kits....he was trying to sell the mirrored kit for 10 grand,.... if i had that kind of cash, those babies would be mine in a heartbeat.....\m/

Another bit of trivia: Neal and Dennis Dunaway are brothers-in-law. They're related the same way that Ringo and Joe Walsh are.

Back