Rock VS Metal drumming

Metal first came from rock and still comes under the broader heading of rock - under the subheading of ores.

Extraction of metal from its rock base varies, depending on the type of metal. Usually it involves intense heat and the process produces a lot of smoke.

Ah, but you're assuming that Nickleback are rock and not self absorbed wankery, to begin with.
That's quite an assumption. Nickelback falls under the heading of Camaro-rock, or as we used to say back in the day, butt-rock, which is less like rock and more like a steaming pile of not-rock.
Metal first came from rock and still comes under the broader heading of rock - under the subheading of ores.

Extraction of metal from its rock base varies, depending on the type of metal. Usually it involves intense heat and the process produces a lot of smoke.
I had to draw myself a little Venn diagram to convince myself that all metal is rock but not all rock is metal. Is it even possible for metal to be better than rock? Maybe we're just comparing rock that isn't metal against metal that is rock? Wait, now I'm confused ... that happens a lot.

Cannot compute. Need. More. Input.

Some soothing not-quite-jazz tones should do it. You know, Kenny G or the like.

Incidentally, what about not-quite-jazz vs not-quite-rock? Kenny G vs Nickleback.....the ultimate schmultz showdown!! Music to slit your wrists by.

I had to draw myself a little Venn diagram to convince myself that all metal is rock but not all rock is metal. Is it even possible for metal to be better than rock? Maybe we're just comparing rock that isn't metal against metal that is rock? Wait, now I'm confused ... that happens a lot.

All metals (copper, gold etc.) come from rocks. When concentrated enough we call it 'ore'. How about a new genre named 'ore'? Basically high grade 'rock', or very pure 'metal'!

And yes absolutely yellow, and for sure Ringo.

How about a new genre named 'ore'?

Metal-ore. Hey, why not? I was just thinking that metal could do with a new genre.....it's somewhat lacking in that area.

Have you been listening to Lars Ulrich Jules? or Meg White?

I'll sheepishly admit to having seen Metallica on their last visit Downunder. I purposely didn't look at Lars though......just in case I was accused of being a fan!!

As for Meg.......well, I've seen her video. You know, that video. The one who is supposedly not her, but if you squint a bit and turn your head to the right angle.....it could be her. Does that count?

That's quite an assumption. Nickelback falls under the heading of Camaro-rock, or as we used to say back in the day, butt-rock, ...

Always happy to help, young Michael.

The bulk of the nickelback mined comes from two types of bore deposits. The first are craperites where the principal ore minerals are nickeliferous craperite: (Cr, Ni)O(OH) and commercialite (a heinous nickel slickate): (Ni, Cm)3Sl2O5(OH)4. The second are adolescent stonide deposits where the principal ore mineral is stonerite: (Ni, Sto)9S8.

Incidentally, what about not-quite-jazz vs not-quite-rock? Kenny G vs Nickleback.....the ultimate schmultz showdown!! Music to slit your wrists by.

Kenny G actually comes under MOR Metal - sill retaining the harsh and abrasive aspects that are disliked by many people.

People are still fooled by Meg - I hear that it was actually Bernard Purdie.

Some soothing not-quite-jazz tones should do it. You know, Kenny G or the like.

Hey, isn't he the OG? :p

I'd call that the ultimate schmultz meltdown - even the schumultz doesn't deserve that. And the visual has already caused me to slit my wrists so may my untimely demise forever weigh on your depraved soul.

The bulk of the nickelback mined comes from two types of bore deposits. The first are craperites where the principal ore minerals are nickeliferous craperite: (Cr, Ni)O(OH) and commercialite (a heinous nickel slickate): (Ni, Cm)3Sl2O5(OH)4. The second are adolescent stonide deposits where the principal ore mineral is stonerite: (Ni, Sto)9S8.
Thank you for that clarification - I had a feeling there might have been a scientific explanation for their abomination.
Kenny G actually comes under MOR Metal - sill retaining the harsh and abrasive aspects that are disliked by many people.
But he IS the original G, yo. His cameo in Katie Perry's Friday Night video lent it all the cred it deserved. Word.

Well, enough of this. I'm off the ER, now!

Hi all.
Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh... And the thread starter is a newbie.
So let me elaborate just a little bit to help fostering reasonable discussions in the future, or maybe apply some of the 'strategies' to this thread.

necksss,
look: You really really have to give a bit more info/introduction statement than you did. It's not enough to drop a few words and then lean back and expect a fruitful discussion. You need to do more!

What would that 'more' be?
Explaining your background/your own perspective on this, and why you started the thread, and what it is that you'd like to learn/discuss.

Ok, you said 'good' and 'bad' sides of both 'genres'. But here there's a whole bunch of aspects involved, and discussing every single one of them would be a huge task. You have to realise that some things can be discussed in a more or less objective way (statistics, percentage relationships, etc.) while others are subjective (one person likes it, another doesn't). So you really have to figure out some guidelines in order to get anything reasonable out of a (this) thread. You know what, it's even difficult to define what 'rock' vs. 'metal' is. We have entire discussions on those topics here! For some, Slayer isn't 'metal' etc. So in real life what you want to have as a nice and precise discussion result isn't that easy to even address - too many aspects/parameters involved, and too many things that have to be defined/narrowed down. That is, in my opinion.

Imagine you'd learn what you like to know. What would be the next step? Would you redirect your drumming activities? Would you avoid some music genres and start getting into other genres instead?

It's way easier to simply lean back, relax and listen to what music _you_ like and what drumming style is _your_ preference. Then simply go for it and don't care (too much) what others are saying.

To give other members an idea of even why you asked you should introduce yourself a bit so we'd know how long you've been drumming, what drumming goals you have etc, what benefit you might have from any outcome of this discussion. The more we know about the/your specific situation, the better we can react, the more specific the info/recommendations. So invest a bit more of your time/energy, give us more info and you'll get more/better feedback.

Ok, that was my honest attempt to contribute to this thread. But please... take a bit more time when creating threads and post a handful of sentences so people would have some clue what it is that you want to discuss.

Very helpful post for this guy (the OP). You must type as fast as you play double bass Arky otherwise you wouldnt spend the time to write this. Or, maybe you just care a lot.

And here I thought Nickelback were the epitome of "rawk n' roll" ; )
Oh, but they are! See, here's the gist of it: rawk != rock, with rawk being the steaming pile of not-rock. I could be wrong about that, but that's how my brain does the sorting.

People are still fooled by Meg - I hear that it was actually Bernard Purdie.
Funniest.... post... ever....
Here's a periodic table to help everyone digest what Anon is alluding to here (sadly, craperite and commercialite were not included).

Attachments

• periodic-table-of-metal (1).jpg
    periodic-table-of-metal (1).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2,624
Love the periodic table! Only gripe is a lack of important and hugely influential prog metals like King Crimson (Kc), Dream Theater (Dt) and Tool (T) ... or I might have missed them since I have the attention span of a gnat.

Love the periodic table! Only gripe is a lack of important and hugely influential prog metals like King Crimson (Kc), Dream Theater (Dt) and Tool (T) ... or I might have missed them since I have the attention span of a gnat.
Need to get that attention span looked at Anon- Dream Theatre is indeed there under "Transition Metals" : )
Also, disappointed no-one has yet made the joke that craperite/ commercialite were included after all (insert "name of that band you hate" here).

Need to get that attention span looked at Anon- Dream Theatre is indeed there under "Transition Metals" : )
Also, disappointed no-one has yet made the joke that craperite/ commercialite were included after all (insert "name of that band you hate" here).

That's okay, Todd, I'm ADHD so there's no attention span to actually look at ... if there ain't a search function, chances are I won't find it. As it is, I usually ignore DT anyway :)

Crimson is a massive omission - throw a stone at that table and chances are you'll hit someone influenced by Red or LTIA Pt II.

Very helpful post for this guy (the OP). You must type as fast as you play double bass Arky otherwise you wouldnt spend the time to write this. Or, maybe you just care a lot.
Haha - thanks!

I'm ok at typing but not really super fast.
Double bass is way easier - I'm just firing away 16th/32nd notes most of the time, you don't need much brain processing to do so. When writing posts though it's usually a stop-and-go regime, with several edits as my thoughts keep evolving. Seems I have a non-linear brain ;-)

I think I'll save that explanation post for future reference. Saves typing the same stuff next time.

Back