Two Great Bass Players

Fuzrock

Silver Member
My band is having a hard time figuring out what to do right now. First of all, we're a cover band and for most of us, it's a hobby. A hobby that's becoming somewhat lucrative. Most of us are pushing 40 but our bass player who has been with us for about a year is only 23. He just graduated from college with a degree in music performance (or something like that) and he is a really great player with chops for days. When we first got a hold of him he had a tendency to over play but he has reeled that in quite a bit. We really enjoy playing with him.

An opportunity came up for him to audition for a former national act that is trying to make a comeback. That was a month or two ago and they found a bass player before he even got a chance to audition. We were obviously just fine with that since we wouldn't have to go out and find someone to replace him. Then all of the sudden last week, they call him up and "hire" him sight unseen based off what their drummer was telling them all. So he drops this bomb on us, gives us a list of shows (which is pretty much all of them) for the next three and a half months that he can't do with us. This band is taking him on a real bona fide tour. None of us are mad about it at all. Hell, if I were his age and didn't have a wife, a kid and a good job, I'd probably jump at the chance, too.

Our singer has this friend who is also a great bass player and is closer to our age. He was actually our first choice when we were looking for a bass player a year ago but he was dedicated to this other band that was still in it's start up phase. Well since then, that band petered out and he is now free. Perfect, right? So we called him up and he has been woodshedding on our song list for the last 7 days because he is planning to play with us for the next three and a half months. If he really worked out, we were probably just going to stick with him but if not, we would happily welcome young bass player back.

So yesterday I get a call from young bass player saying that this former national act decided to audition a couple of other bass players because he doesn't really have the right look for them. Let me explain. This is a band that never quite made it big back in the 80's hair band days and young bass player isn't exactly someone you'd expect to see in spandex. Think Seth Rogan with a few extra pounds. These guys are douche-bags for sure. He knows we already have this other guy working on the material but wants to keep us in the loop.

I explain that we already promised the next three months to the other bass player and that it we actually want to take a more serious look at him. He is closer to our age, in a similar life situation as the rest of us and is also REALLY good on bass. I explained that even if this whole tour thing fell through for him, that we still want to give this other guy a shot.

The feeling amongst the rest of us is that if we don't lose him now, we'll more than likely lose him down the road. Also, he was more than willing to jump ship for this opportunity so his loyalty to us really isn't there. Who can blame him, though? He's a talented young man with his whole life ahead of him. He doesn't need to stick with a bunch of geezers in some local cover band when he could be touring the country as a professional rocker.

So I tried to give you all as complete a picture as possible. I still feel very torn. Both bass players are great. Both are nice guys. What would you do?

What's your thoughts purely as the drummer as opposed to band member as a whole. I believe a tight rhythm section is the foundation for any good band. Does one gel with you better musically as part of that "rhythm section", or are they on par?

What's your thoughts purely as the drummer as opposed to band member as a whole. I believe a tight rhythm section is the foundation for any good band. Does one gel with you better musically as part of that "rhythm section", or are they on par?

That's a good question. I'm going to rehearse with the new guy for the first time tomorrow so I can't really answer about him first hand. I have seen him play and know that he is more about playing for the song and less about showing off, though he has the chops to do so in the right spots. Young bass player is more of a lead bass player type. Like I said before, he has reined it in quite a bit since he started a year ago. I feel that there is a good possibility that this new guy will come in and help to make the foundation more solid than it's ever been in this band. That's why we want to give him a shot at it.

Completely agree. ^^ the rhythm definitely section stands as the foundation of a band, for the time is the foundation of a song itself, which, is represented by the rhythm section lol

That's a good question. I'm going to rehearse with the new guy for the first time tomorrow so I can't really answer about him first hand.

It's a tough call indeed. At this stage I'd hold my cards close to my chest I reckon. The sub is booked for 3 months....both players know this and are set for it. Given that, I wouldn't reveal to either one which way I was leaning at this early stage. Treat it as if the tour is still going ahead, that way no-one is put out as that's what was planned for in the first place.

I'd spend the three months as a long audition process and make my final decision when that time is up. Anything could happen in that time, the older guy may not dig it.....the younger guy may find another gig etc and your decision may be made for you. Given that you have a bit of time up your sleeve before a final decision needs to be made, I'd use it to see which guy really is the better fit for your band.

That's all I've got, I'm afraid. Good luck whichever way you roll.

Back