Key Changes

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
Does anyone else find that a well-placed key change can make a song just that much better?

Personally, I think Total Eclipse of the Heart is extremely well done...this is glee's version and its most noticeable from the transition between the first verse and the first chorus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2HHg5PHHw&feature=related

Can anyone recall any other songs with exemplary key changes?

Many, but I can think of a great number with terrible key changes too.

Many, but I can think of a great number with terrible key changes too.

Exactly - some key changes make the song come to life, while others seem unneccesary or awkward.

One of my favorite all-time songs is Band on the Run by McCartney, mostly because there are several changes during the song that really make it unique.

Easy by the Commodores has a sweet key change at the end. It only goes up a semitone, so on paper it should be subtle, but it seems more drastic. That song also wins the prize for best backing vocals and harmony parts. They are so beautiful.

I like the Faith no more version of Easy.

Easy by the Commodores has a sweet key change at the end. It only goes up a semitone, so on paper it should be subtle, but it seems more drastic. That song also wins the prize for best backing vocals and harmony parts. They are so beautiful.

Actually, theoretically, semitone changes are some of the least subtle changes you can make. The second key has almost no relationship to the first key. If you want to hear subtle modulation, try some Debussy. Changing to the V of V or even the V can be very, very subtle. This is where having a basic background in music theory comes in handy!

Damn, I always liked the semitone jump :)

I have very limited knowledge here (hence drummer jokes, I guess). So this might be a dumb question but I'm wondering about those wonderful bridges The Beatles used to do, were they usually key changes or just switching emphasis to the minor?

Actually, theoretically, semitone changes are some of the least subtle changes you can make. The second key has almost no relationship to the first key. If you want to hear subtle modulation, try some Debussy. Changing to the V of V or even the V can be very, very subtle. This is where having a basic background in music theory comes in handy!

Theoretically, yes. In practice? Not always. Semitone changes can modulate to major/minor which is drastic, but a lot of the time, as with Easy, it depends more on the mode in which the vocal melody belongs.

And by V do you mean fifth? I dont do the numericals thing, and V of V?

Yeah, im doing my degree, and it always surprises people when the drummer (of all people) starts talking about key changes and relative minors etc :)

Back