Pearl Eliminator Cam Color?

I'm fairly certain the owner's manual tells you not to play without the cams...

True! The instruction manual says it might damage the pedal...
PS After playing with the linear black cam for a couple of years I am now using the white one (also linear) and I love it. It is smooth, not too powerful, very accurate and well suited for my 18 bass drum.
I recently tried the blue one but I found it a bit awkward. It is offset, powerful and there's an acceleration at the end which I didn't find very natural.

Last edited:
Well, I'm on the reds now, have been playing with blues for a while and the reds seem to be a little easier to handle when playing fast, however I feel I'm losing a bit of power with them. Lets face it, these pedals are the s&%t, I love them.

GAH i hate when people say that.

YOU DONT NEED A LONG FOOT BOARD FOR HEEL TOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry pet peeve. but if you do it right you can do it with your heel on the foot baord. on the heel plate part. or on the floor. if you know the technique its doable on any pedal.

Yeah I'm sorry, it took me some practice to realize that.

I tried this pedal the other day at Guitar Center, it's fantastic and very well made. I've been playing the DW 5000 AD3 for a couple of years and while it's nice, it's not adjustable. Which eliminator cam color would most closely mimic the 5000 accelerator?

Eliminators are great! I have the BLUE cam on, powershifter all the way up and spring tension set just below medium tension and this baby soars!! Looking forward to converting to double when I get the slave extension.

Thanks for the help Fiery!! I have been trying to find these things for a while. I got my pedals from my uncle after a flood destroyed his house and some of his cams were gone, so I have only been able to use the white ones, they are smooth and easy but I wanted to try the others out..

I have the same issue weaponsloader. I bought mine off of eBay for about $60, but it only came with the black cam (and is it just me or do Pearl beater have this stupid bit of metal that doesn't let me slide it past a certain point?). Anyway, here: http://www.drumsetc.com/Details.asp?Product=10951&List=1&SubCategoryID=274&PL=&PH= At $14 PER CAM, I don't think it's worth it, personally. Too bad. I'd really like to be able to do most of what a double bass pedal can do on a single, and some of the cams (red especially) sound like they help with that.

bumping an old thread, but i thought it'd be better than starting a new one.

can someone please define 'action' and 'feel' for me and clarify the difference between the cams (i.e. what functions are they good for)? I understand 'feel' as a concept, but that "feel VS time" graph for their cams on pearl's site makes no sense to me. and is 'action' the speed? looseness? not really sure...
I can sort of tell the difference in geometry from the tiny picture on the site, but don't know exactly how that affects the feel.

i'm thinking of getting one, so any info would be appreciated

I was using the black cams with the pedal board slid all the way back. Now I am using the white cams with the pedal board in the number 2 position. With a medium to light spring tension. I have tried the blues, I love the punch you can get from the blue cam, but it feels hard to control. For me the white cams make my pedal feel amazing. I yet to try the red cams. They look very extreme. I love this pedal, I used to have Axis pedals but did not like the direct drive. Before I got my Pearls I got DW5002s and returned them the same day for the pearls. the DW felt very heavy and was very difficult to play. Did I say I love my Eliminators.

Eliminators are great! I have the BLUE cam on, powershifter all the way up and spring tension set just below medium tension and this baby soars!! Looking forward to converting to double when I get the slave extension.

I tried this pedal the other day at Guitar Center, it's fantastic and very well made. I've been playing the DW 5000 AD3 for a couple of years and while it's nice, it's not adjustable. Which eliminator cam color would most closely mimic the 5000 accelerator?

Just been reading this thread- makes for some interesting reading

Having not played at all for 2 weeks I spent about 4 hours practising yesterday on a kit in the downstairs venue (of the 3 I regularly play) and then after one gig at about 7 moved upstairs to another venue and played another gig.

The 2 kits are practically identical except the upstairs kit has a dw9000 double pedal. Now whether I was tired from a long day and my foot was aching but I found it so much more difficult playing the 9000 to the eliminator on the downstairs kit. Really tempted to go and but an eliminator double and sell my 9000 now!

I had been using the blue cam for a year or so. Last week, I switched to the white cam. I think I'm staying with it.

After reading through this thread a week ago i was swayed into swithing from the black cams to the blue cams. I honestly cant tell the difference. Both seem to be excellent for me so I am staying with the blue for now.

Just put my Iron Cobras out to grass after two years of problems and bought the eliminator. only used the red cams which came fitted so far. That is serious power and attack but the extreme cam seems difficult to control. I would like to master the red cams as I play mostly rock music but I will see over the next weeks if I can handle it.
However, the build quality is superb!!

Here's the break down of each cam:

White (Oversized round cam)
Much like a larger DW Turbo pedal cam.
More foot board motion to beater motion ratio.
Your foot motion will be slightly greater than the beater motion.

Black (Regular size round cam)
Much like a DW Turbo pedal.
Equal foot board motion to beater motion ratio.
Your foot motion will be the same as the beater motion.
Balanced.
This cam equates to most early chain drive pedals including Camco.

Blue (Slightly aggressive cam)
Much like a DW Accelerator pedal.
Slightly less foot board motion than beater motion ratio.
Your foot motion will be a bit less than the beater motion.
A bit top heavy.
Most popular.

Red (Aggressive cam)
Much like the old Tama Flexi Flyer.
Less foot board motion than beater motion.
Your foot motion will be much less than the beater motion.
This cam is much like the early strap drive pedals of the 60's and 70's.
The older drummers enjoy this pedal since it's much like what they learned on.
Top heavy: Feels like holding a baseball bat at the very end.

Beware: The red cam is not necessarily "faster" than the others.

Overall: Take time (a month) to use each without changing any other variables (spring tension, beater height. etc. I use different cams for different occasions. Although, the Black cam is my overall fav. It equates to the old pearl pedal I grew up using.

Hope this helps!

Back