Blake Richardson

Has anyone else heard of this guy? He's the drummer for Glass Casket, his way of matching a variety of different beats to each riff, ranging from complex polyrhythms to scarily accurate blast beats is amazing, and fits the style of music perfectly.
He also plays for Between the Buried and Me on their new album Alaska, where his transitions between metal genres (and Alaska has most of them) are fluid and perfectly executed. He also pulls off some sick tecnical stuff throughout.
Anyone heard of him?

This drummer is honestly my favourite (next to Chris Hornbrook). His speed and constent time changing has influenced me huge. I've never heard "Glass Casket" but i listen to BTBAM a lot. Even if you're not into metal, give them a listen to.
examples:
-Selkies the endless obsession
-Alaska
-All Bodies

No one responded to my thread on Jurgen Reil, so I'll start this one.

Blake Richardson is the drummer for Between the Buried and Me. He combines a great sense of phrasing and odd time signature use with jazz-infused metal grooves. To me, he is the best metal drummer to have come out in recent years. Given 10 years or so, this guy could be the next Dave Lombardo. Your thoughts??

- Marc

Just thought I'd bump this, any mods want to merge that other new thread about him?
Anyway this guy is great, he's one of the few drummers who uses blast beats who I really enjoy listening to, because there is so much variation in every song. He is great in Between the Buried and Me and also Glass Casket.

Check out Between the Buried and Me performing "Selkies: The Endless Obsession". This guy blows The Reverend out of the water in my opinion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fH72VUa-Fso

The intro shifts between 7/8, 13/16, 14/16, and 15/16, and I love the way Richardson effortlessly flows between the time singatures. The melody of the guitars, bass, and keyboards is well supported.

- Marc

Blake has to be one of my favorite drummers. I had the opportunity of meeting him at a show once. He's a really nice guy. I asked if he had done any kind of drumming while in school or anything such as a music program or something, and he told me that he was in an orchestral band program, and that was about it I believe.

And I listen to Selkies all the time, I thought the intro was 7/8 with a 3/4 alternation with ending phrases of 4/4 or 4/8
(i know the entire song and can play it)

Hey listen to Rush; Tom Sawyer the melody and rhythm is a lot like Selkies. This guy is definitely a new great both in BTBAM and Glass Casket. Great drummer to discuss!!!

I just bought BTBAM's dvd Colors Live, pftttt what an amazing band. I don't really enjoy people who can play fast as hell and pretty much just blasts, but Blake knows exactly where/how to use them. He's becoming one of my fav drummers not that much cause of his level of skills but because he knows when its convenient to be fast and when is convenient to play nothing but super slow 4/4's. Anyways I wish Blake had his own page here on the drummerworld forum.

I'm fighting the next person who replies to any thread other than this.

LOL!!!!!!!

check this clip out: 1:18

blake's at the top of my list. his style is exactly what i am/have been going for and it hurts me to think that i could be at this level if i had kept playing instead of letting drums fall by the wayside. i believe, if i had kept at it (would be 12 years of playing), that i could be playing this type of stuff. drums are now second in my life, right next to my future wife and they are [both] staying in those positions... all thanks to blake. huge inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snGxAUBMZHY

Here's a video of Blake recording "Obfuscation" in the studio. This guy has unbelievable focus and his ability to move around the kit quickly is nearly unmatched. I would love to see someone take a shot at transcribing this. I bet Korompay or SickRick could do it if they could figure out some of those time signatures and phrasings.

Also, has anybody on here figured out the drum solo in "Swim to the Moon" off of BtBaM's newest album "The Great Misdirect"? It's a pretty cool one.

That's one sick ass solo alright. All i can say is that there's no way in hell that the cowbell during the solo isn't overdubbed.

I'm studying for finals right now, but i'll see if i can transcribe it sometime in the near future. Should be a fun little excercise!

Back