I like Deadmau5

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
As a musician, I've always prided myself on listening to alot of different kinds of stuff. And I encourage everyone who's into music to listen to everything they can stand to get their hands on. And in this day and age, it's easy and relatively FREE to check out new things (as opposed to my childhood days when mom and dad would take me to the record store to pick out something I think I might like).

But it was interesting that I just discovered Deadmau5. I've always liked Kraftwerk and synth bands, but Deadmau5's approach is rather interesting, and I think it's rather cool.

What I've learned so far is that he does not consider himself a 'DJ'. He hates it when other dj's are just playing around with beats and mashing in pre-recorded material. So he doesn't take requests, he's immersed in the technology, and there isn't anything pre-recorded at all. He's more musician than DJ in this aspect, and I found that very refreshing (Kraftwerk, afterall, did their own songs, and were never DJ's).

He hates these dance music festivals, and is actually going off on his own stadium tour without an opening act. It's ironic that a guy who rose to fame in the dance music rave world would get everyone back into going to a concert to see a specific artist do their own music. There may be hope as this guy has a bigger fan-base than anybody, apparently.

And parts of me likes that mouse head he wears. It seems cooler than that other mouse head ;)

Anybody else discover this guy? Or heard of him from a while back and have written him off as another electric DJ?

My wife bought us a couple of tickets to see him at the Phoenix Convention Center. Had a great time, I'm really not huge into Dubstep but I had a great time at the show. My wife loves going to see live music so I have had a wonderful time at some shows that I would have never gone to on my own.

I do really like him too. He trolled his rival Skrilex by wearing a tshirt with his phone # on it and he has a disdain of the title of DJ. I really don't know the difference between what he does and what a DJ does but from what my wife has told me I understand that he writes allthe key parts for his tunes and reproduces them live with the assistance of per-recorded stuff.

I'm not trying to be dismissive of Dubstep. It is fun dance music but I have no idea how it it made.

I used to listen to deadmau5 a lot, along with skrillex and the occasional knife party. My guitar friend got me into a bunch of electronic stuff like that a few years ago. Deadmau5 is like the perfect driving music, right up there with 70's rock. Very trancy and ethereal but with a beat. Not as violent or sporadic as skrillex and other trendier producers. And as a producer he's great; he can start with a kick and just add one voice at a time every 16 bars without getting boring. He can be so minimalistic with his songs but his sounds are so textured and wide that you get this deep, interesting soundscape.

I don't really dig most other DJs either. Sampling and looping others' work usually results in uncreative garbage IMO. But the mau5 and a lot of other talented dubsteppers and brosteppers have put out a whole new wave of original sounds in the last few years.

After a while I got tired of chilling out and went back to metal and Ke$ha. For the last few months I've been stuck on Vildhjarta, which is still strange to me since I don't like any other djent very much. But every once in a while I'll put on something electronic. Usually headbanging to "Pon pon pon" or violently wiggling my fingers "Centipede".

What music do you usually listen to?

Ha! I was born and bred as a jazzed and eventually discovered the Beatles. But all that fusion in the 70s, Maynard Ferguson, Rush. Zep. Zappa, new wave, punk.....I gave everything a spin on my turntable.....classical, reggae, ska. Ed Shaughnessy told me about "defensive listening" when I took my two lessons with him back in the 80s and he was right. There hasn't been too many times when I was a "deer in the headlights" on the bandstand.

I was joking about Tori Amos. I've only listened to her through others ;)

So I've been listening to Deadmau and actually ordered his last two CDs. Very cool stuff. I may get a head and attend a show ;)

Plus, you guys are in the same union of mouse-head wearing laborers #451.

My son is into anime and build a Deadmau5 head, and you met him (Joel) at one of the conventions he was at.

Here is the head:

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 89
I like taking drugs at dance festivals. One time I was in such a situation and I really enjoyed this song:

http://youtu.be/zK1mLIeXwsQ

Aphex Twin, Pendulum and Yahel are cool too but I hardly listen to dance so I'm prob not the best person to ask.

Fwiw I am over the whole drug thing.. Hardly even drink now. :/

My son told me he did not want to attempt it again. ;-) Without labor he said he has more than $200 into it, since he used the bigger white globe.

However, he did send me the link to the instructions for you.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-your-own-Deadmau5-mouse-head-helmet/?ALLSTEPS

Yeah - to be honest - I looked up building one or buying one, and they all start at $200. Which I guess is a steal considering the other one I have to wear is priced at $50K.

This kind of stuff is normally background music at work. Keeps the feet moving and really breaks up the monotony.

Back