The Heel Toe Thread

Re: Heel Toe Technique

drummer_wid_pulse said:
Here i did a video while back trying to help a friend online

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmskKcbFa8

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player, click here to get the latest flash player."

That's what it says...do you think your could upload it on putfile? I can watch everything on that. That is, if it's not too much to ask.

drummer-wid-pulse, um with heel toe, do you just go really fast like in a continuous pattern like sixteenth notes? Or do you just play at the highest triplets in a row? Cause i can only do heel toe at the fastest like 2 hits.

it's always said that it doesn't matter how big your feet are, you can still do heel toe. i recently upgraded my axis single with the longboard, but before that i would just angle my foot a bit off to the side (toes pointing off the pedal away from the snare) to fit the whole foot on there. it's easy to get discouraged when working on heel toe (im still not great but i know i'll get there soon). when you first start you're using different muscles than when just playing heel up or heel down, so you need to take time to develop those as much as the ones you commonly use.

DreamTheater4life said:
What's IE? I really want to watch this video! It's making me angry!!!!

IE = Internet Explorer

Come on guys, this is a neat trick, but it does not sound natural. You are just bouncing off the heel pressure and rebounding with the toesie woesies. The natural bass resonance is missing due to the fact that the front head is tensioned when its hit the second time. No wonder why the bass is way muffled with a pillow or other tricks so the hits don't sound different. Try this with a bass drum with no muffling and you will see what I mean.No different from that one handed roll trick off the rim. Make the snare quieter and you will hear the damn rim shot.

A real drummer does not have to impress with tricks.
Just play the dammed thing the best you can with out the tricks then you will be impressive.

Its funny how we had those "great drummers" here peddling there stupid DVD's with their infomercial type websites. "If you buy now, we'll discount these 2 DVDs!!.

Give me a break.

Re: steve smith's heel-toe

Tim Waterson said:
YES Heel toe can be used as singles if it is R heel L heel Rtoe Ltoe
I do this and have unofficially run over 1030 more than once at home so it does NOT count.
I have seen a few guys do this in prelims as well.
I'll speak to BOO on this.
As long as WE can see you are not doubling it should be OK
Tim

Tim I have tried doing it that way but when i go to hit with my heel i kind of get a double instead of a single. I can do jo jo mayers stuff and I can do doubles fine but this single method isnt working out too well. Any ideas? thx

fixmejesus said:
The natural bass resonance is missing due to the fact that the front head is tensioned when its hit the second time.

If this were the case - then wouldn't any fast strokes do the same thing? The Heel-Toe Technique can be played without burying the beater... and thus it is just a factor of speed that would do what you are saying. I play the method with an unmuffled drum head, and it sounds completely normal to me.

In addition... if I want to bury the beater - I can get a different dynamic sound by doing so. Sometimes that option is nice.

Tim Waterson said:
DRumz4eva
do a search Heel toe is the easiest way to go fast BUT,
Steve does Toe- Heel strokes that freddie Gruber showed him to get a more consistant sound.takes a LOT more disclipline to get right.
The WFD is ALL singles but we have had drummers do heel toe in the pre lims for fun and to try and beat my 1407.NO prizes just bragging rights if you do.
Good Luck
Tim

Tim,

Is your original 1407 done with singles or doubles? I remember you mentioning you were upwards of 1500 un-officially. Have you had a chance to record that since?

FloEy said:
Tim I have tried doing it that way but when i go to hit with my heel i kind of get a double instead of a single. I can do jo jo mayers stuff and I can do doubles fine but this single method isnt working out too well. Any ideas? thx

The heel toe singlestrokes is YES harder for most to grasp.
But I have a student who does this with great control and I recieve lots of emails so I will showing CLOSEUPS on the NEW dvd.Hopefully ready in May.
I'll keep you posted..
Tim

I've got the heel toe technique down for the most part, but once I get done playing, the top of my foot hurts. Am I doing something wrong? I have noticed that I do tense up when playing the technique...but is that the reason for the pain in my foot?

deltadrummer1 said:
I've got the heel toe technique down for the most part, but once I get done playing, the top of my foot hurts. Am I doing something wrong? I have noticed that I do tense up when playing the technique...but is that the reason for the pain in my foot?
Tensing up is causing stress on your foot slow down relax and bulid up your speed in increments of 10bpm
Tim

just wondering, is the heel toe method suppose to be "double stroking" with a bass drum? or is it possible to actually double stroke by hitting the head with the beater only once.

Back