Heads For Short Toms

getbeats

I have a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive, and I'm looking out for new heads. The stock heads sound awful. I'm looking for a warm, open sound. Also, I don't want the sound too deep, but not too dead. Have any suggestions?

I think EC2's would take too much away because the toms lack depth but your an give them a try. Either G2 or EC2 but G2's would be better in this situation! Aren't the depth of the toms you speak of 6.5?

I've run into the same problems with Hyperdrives, and here's what I've found.

GO CLEAR. The coated heads just take too much away when it comes to short, birch toms. It creates a real nice sound, but almost little to no sustain. Clear on the other hand have given much more sustain than their coated counterparts.
I use clear G2s over clear G1s, sounds real nice to me. If you try that out and still want more resonance, which I might actually be doing soon, then just go to G1s or Ambassadors. Overall, what you want to do is get some clear, unmuffled heads and you should be golden.

I've found with my Mapex Pro M studio (10x8, 12x10, 14x11, 16x13) that two ply heads are just too much for such small drums. I've had g2s and ec2s on there and the drums are choked (except for the 14,16). Best to go with something like Coated Ambassadors (warm and open) or those Black Suede heads (warmer than clear). For Evans GPlus or regular G1s. Remo CS could give you a nice focused sound without dampening anything too.

I've found with my Mapex Pro M studio (10x8, 12x10, 14x11, 16x13) that two ply heads are just too much for such small drums. I've had g2s and ec2s on there and the drums are choked (except for the 14,16). Best to go with something like Coated Ambassadors (warm and open) or those Black Suede heads (warmer than clear). For Evans GPlus or regular G1s. Remo CS could give you a nice focused sound without dampening anything too.

Those drums aren't really that small. 12x10? haha

Has anyone tried ps3's on their hyperdrive toms?

Those drums aren't really that small. 12x10? haha

Has anyone tried ps3's on their hyperdrive toms?

That doesn't sound a very good combination. You've got the short toms which have short sustain as it is, then if you add some ps3s you're just gonna end up with no sort of tone whatsoever, just like whacking your sofa or something.

That doesn't sound a very good combination. You've got the short toms which have short sustain as it is, then if you add some ps3s you're just gonna end up with no sort of tone whatsoever, just like whacking your sofa or something.

Yep.. I'd say clear Emperors would be best suited for the job. I went thorugh every head out there on my Tama Rockstar Customs with 10, 12 and 14 toms. When I put clear Emperors on them, they were loud and really punchy and recorded very nicely with no muffling at all.. I don't use anything but clear Emperors on them. I may try Evans G2's on them some day or Aquarians Responce 2's but I'm convinced to get the most out shallow shells or small sizes, a clear 2 ply head is the way to go. If you play with a softer touch, maybe a clear single ply head would work too. I don't know. I never tried that because I have always played 2 ply heads.

I would say either a clear or coated ambassador or emperor over a clear ambassador.

I get the feeling ps3 heads would sound good, but you said you don't want your toms too dead, which is what they do, they are basically a toned down pinstripe.

Once again, clear unmuffled head.
Two ply for those that like two plies, and one ply for those that like one ply.

Back