So, I'm going stateside tomorrow..

TopCat

Gold Member
New York, to be a little bit more precise.

It's a last minute thing and both business and pleasure, so i'll have some free time. I'm only gonna be there for 4 days, anyone want to recommend anything I should do?

Broadway is always fun. There are a few killer drum shops, I think drummerworld is one that I went in that I was quite amused by. Splurge on at least one meal, you can get a mean dinner in NY.

You're a musician obviously..SO go down to the West Village on a weekend night.. and make an evening of it. Lots of little pubs & bars & cafes, with all shapes & sizes of live music will bekon you.( Blue note, Fat Tuesdays, Peculier Pub, The Bitter End,The Bottom Line, 55 bar Its a must do for the out of towners.

Check out BB King Blues & Grill mid-town, 42nd street.

Try and see a Broadway Show or if that's too unmanageable, ( ridiculously expensive tickets to most of the hot shows ) try off - Broadway.

Go see the MOMA ( museum of modern art, & the guggenhiem, & the metropolitan museum)

So see the little art boutiques of soho..

Play some pick-up basketball ( anywhere ) if you're up for it

Have a steak sandwich at Sardi's, Lindy's cheesecake.. have fresh bagels in the morning with coffee & cream cheese.

Take the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan if you just want an easy laid back spin around the island.

You're a musician obviously..SO go down to the West Village on a weekend night.. and make an evening of it. Lots of little pubs & bars & cafes, with all shapes & sizes of live music will bekon you.( Blue note, Fat Tuesdays, Peculier Pub, The Bitter End,The Bottom Line, 55 bar Its a must do for the out of towners.

Try and see a Broadway Show or if that's too unmanageable, ( ridiculously expensive tickets to most of the hot shows ) try off - Broadway.

Go see the MOMA ( museum of modern art, & the guggenhiem, & the metropolitan museum)

Have a steak sandwich at Sardi's, Lindy's cheesecake.. have fresh bagels in the morning with coffee & cream cheese.

Take the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan if you just want an easy laid back spin around the island.

Now you've talked me and the wife into taking a short vacation down there.. :)

You're obviously a New Yorker, Abe. Once a Yankee, always a Yankee! I miss the east, we might try to get out to the city this year when we go back to visit the family.

The first thing I would do, is find some authentic pizza...and gorge myself.

It's a last minute thing and both business and pleasure, so i'll have some free time. I'm only gonna be there for 4 days, anyone want to recommend anything I should do?
Even though I'm a Red Sox fan, I'd say you GOTTA see Yankee Stadium before it's demise at the end of this season. This is the last chance forever.

The first thing I would do, is find some authentic pizza...and gorge myself.

Vin, you cant really go wrong with Pizza in NYC. Or with food, in general, for that matter. Bad eating joints simply don't survive in NYC. SO great eating!!

However,for the ultimate in thin crust orgasm you have to head out to to Di Fara's in Brooklyn. Or Grimaldi's near Brooklyn Bridge

And if you don't want move out of Manhattan and still be able to say you've had the ultimate pizza encounter, you have to go to Lombardi's in Little Italy, SoHo.... And John's Pizzeria in Mid town. They will all serve up a pizza that will then live in your memory for the rest of your life.

Give me a holler when you show up, and if I'm in town, you can buy me a beer.

Last edited:
If you do see a broadway show, the Lion King was fabulous. Great Theatre also. Yes either the Blue Note if your on that side of N.Y or Birdland if your already near the theatre for the broadway show. Just hanging on Broadway is a trip with the thousands of people all seeming to go nowhere.

Eat at Lombardi's pizza one day for lunch...I forget where it is, but if you Google it, it will come up. That place is THE FIRST pizza place in the US...and it's very good pizza, I went there 2 years ago.

Across the street from there is a rice pudding shop called "Rice to Riches"...go to their website. it's like Coldstone, but for Rice Pudding. So good.

...and then on your second day...

hmm pretty much everything noteworthy has been said, especially seeing museums, i would def recommend that. like aydee said, the guggenheim etc. but i would also suggest buying a samurai sword in china town...late at night....actually no they close late at night. but seriously gettting a samurai sword would be a good deal.

Go see the MOMA ( museum of modern art, & the guggenhiem, & the metropolitan museum).

Took the words outta my mouth, Aydee, MoMA is a must see, W. Village is 1 of a kind place, E. Village as a little less musical, but better shopping(NOHO,SOHO). ALL the food is great, no matter where you are. If you like Greek food, go to Astoria, Queens. My personal favorite.

The WTC site really isnt much to see right now, except for alot of construction. Some of the memorials are still there, but it is worth at least a visit.

Maybe go to the South ST Seaport?, Alot of pubs/restaurants/shopping. Along with some renovated old-thyme ships.

GOTTA go to Times Square-anywhere from 36th st and48th St, between 3rd and 6th Ave. A must see, by all means! GO TO TIMES SQUARE!!

Visit the Dakota Building(where Lennon was shot) on the southeast corner of Central Park(60th and 5th), but while you re there, catch a horse-drawn carriage through the Mid-town of Manhattan.

Go down to Brooklyn and visit Coney Island. Birthplace of Nathan's Hotdogs, the Cyclone and the weirdest boardwalk you ve ever been to. Or cross the V.N. Br. to Staten Island and go to the longest boardwalk on the East coast.

Maybe go up to the Bronx and visit the zoo there,the stadiums, or some older sites like High-bridge, which was how NYC supplied water to the city over 100 years ago.

All in all, you need alot of time to really appreciate this city and all of its different attractions, It is quite huge, and you could spend a day in each boro(there are 5).

BUT MOST OF ALL----- tune your radio to 89.5fm!!! If you like hard rock and anything heavy, this is the best free radio station you will ever find.( Except for Sundays, its a lil different then)

Have fun man! And dont hesitate to ask for help from anyone. People there might seem like they re in a hurry or lacking subtlety, but make up for it in clarity and helpfulness...

Oh yeah, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are great....

Take a trip to the coast...

Or go to Rays on 6th and 11th.

CDRider's right, in NYC, you'll find whatever you're looking for (...as the song says ).

Gruntersdad
is right too, there's just too much to do, so you have to pick and choose.

I got to go to New York for the first time ever just this summer, and I got to see a lot of cool stuff. Maybe check out "Stomp." I got to see that, and it was a cool show, especially for drummers.

...and then on your second day...

How could I forget ALEX GREY'S Temple of Mind I*nfusion? Or whatever its called nowadays...its only here(in SW Manhattan) till the fall. IF YOU LOVE ART GO HERE!!!! Seriously though, if you re interested hit me up, I ll give you the address. As a psychadelic art enthusiast and lover of all fine arts- this was "mind-blowing" for a loss of words....worth the'trip'. : )))

Anyone know of a good tour package i.e. airfare, hotel, shows etc...in New York? I'm also interested in going there someday for a drummer/tourist visit. Thinking about seeing some Big Bands at the hotel ball rooms, visiting drum shops and other drumming focused places.

Back