show off your snare

here are my two main snares. i've found that between these two, i can play just about any genre. they are very versatile.

the first is my custom 14"x8" segmented stave snare made from purpleheart, oak, and maple with gold tube lugs and maple hoops.

the second is my all original 3 ply 1964 ludwig super classic in white marine pearl with the original throwoff.

both are pictured in the first pic which is my regular set up.
sorry for the awful picture quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 4,687
  • IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 4,686
  • 64 SNARE.png
    64 SNARE.png
    472.1 KB · Views: 4,686
here are my two main snares. i've found that between these two, i can play just about any genre. they are very versatile.

the first is my custom 14"x8" segmented stave snare made from purpleheart, oak, and maple with gold tube lugs and maple hoops.

the second is my all original 3 ply 1964 ludwig super classic in white marine pearl with the original throwoff.

both are pictured in the first pic which is my regular set up.
sorry for the awful picture quality.

wow very interest snare awesome!!!
i want hear your custom snare sound
good idea custom snare :)

5.5" x 14" Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Snare
6.5" x 14" Pearl Limited Edition Walnut Snare
8" x 14" Gretsch Hand-Hammered Brass Snare

2eeigdk.jpg

21eyvf9.jpg

My old/new collection :

CUSTOM YELLOW COPPER 14x5.5 (1 mm shell) Assembled in France

MING FULL CARBON 14X6 (1.2mm shell)

GRETSH FULL RANGE Retro Mahogany (6 ply) 13X7

DRUMCRAFT SERIE 8 ALUMINIUM DieCast SHELL 14X5 (5mm diecast shell)

REMO GOLD CROWN 14X6 ADV. ACOUSTICON Made in USA (solid fiberwood shell)

GRETSH USA Maple Jasper Shell 14X7 Made in USA (6 ply Gumwood and Maple)

PEARL BLACK BRASS limited Edition 14X6.5 (1.2 mm brass)

PEARL MMX Maple Sparkle 14X6 (Maple shell)

PREMIER NEW XPK Maple 14X5.5 (7 Ply Maple shell).5

SALMIERI Prodipe SAPELI 14X5.5 (Sapeli African wood, 5 ply)

TAMA STARCLASSIC Maple 14x6.5 (USA Maple with reinforcement rings) made in JAPAN

TAMA SUPERSTAR Birch 14X5.5 (Birch wood)

TAMBURO OPERA Black Satin 14X5 made in Italy (Stave USA Maple Wood)

WORLDMAX BRONZE Vintage 14X5

TAMBURO OPERA Zebrawood Maple 14X6.5 Made in Italy (Stave USA Maple Wood)

TAMBURO Formula Maple 14X5.5 (USA Maple Shell)

PEARL CLASSIC African Mahogany Limited Edition 14X6.5 (African Mahogany wood)

LUDWIG Black Beauty 14X5 (single sheet brass shell)

PREMIER Signia Marquis Maple (Laminated 7 Ply USA Maple)

My two snares I use. A Joyful Noise 6.5 x 14 legacy steam bent maple and a 1974 Ludwig 6.5 x 14 supraphonic. I haven't found the need for anything else, but if I would get another one, it would be either a Ludwig 70's engraved black beauty or a Joyful Noise TKO brass.

Attachments

• PERC-Ludwig-Supraphonic-6x14-M.jpg
    PERC-Ludwig-Supraphonic-6x14-M.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 4,710
  • joyful1.JPG
    joyful1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 4,473
Here is my one-of-a-kind Buffalo Snare. I bought a cheap ($39 new!) Remo Buffalo Drum (hand drum) and screwed a set of snare wires into it. The Buffalo Drum shell is made of Acousticon and the head is Fiberskyn, both proprietary materials that Remo invented that are water, temperature and weather proof. After 13 months of playing, there isn't even a mark on the head. The head is bonded to the shell and there is no hardware on this drum. It weighs about one and a half pounds. I used a 20 strand Puresound snare. I cut one of the ends off as well as about 4 inches of the snare wire. I attached the remaining end to the shell with a screw. There is no throw off so this is a full time snare drum. This drum is super dry and tasteful! No bottom head=lots of projection to cut through the mix. I've used it for qute a few gigs and it sounds amazing. Very "studio" like - just a great snap and no reverb. The snares don't rattle at all. I've had to replace the tape holding the snares twice in the last year. Not bad for 39 bucks. I won't use any other snare now - this one just sounds too good!

Attachments

• snare1.jpg
    snare1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4,288
  • snare2.jpg
    snare2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4,283
  • snare3.jpg
    snare3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4,259
  • snare4.jpg
    snare4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 4,309
Here's mine ( top to bottom ) :

13x7 DW Top Edge ( maple X shell )
14x6 Yamaha VSD1460 w/ Yamaha Vintage wood hoops
14x5.5 Yamaha Dave Weckl aluminium
14x6.5 Gretsch Legend Polished Brass w/ die cast hoops

P/s : I have an old account here with another name.

Decided to create an account with my real name instead.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 4,396
Wow some very cool snares in this thread - here's my go-to...
5.5x14 Steel Keplinger. My goal when ordering this drum, was to get off of the snare drum merry-go-round... I had lots of really good snares - but nothing truly great (except my deedub) - this Keppy sounds incredible. This drum is so versatile, I just don't need a big collection anymore. I'm much happier with just a couple of great drums - feels good to thin the herd.
Anyway, I'm really moving more towards heavier shell drums, in this case the extra mass gives these snares a nice dose of low end. It still has that brightness of steel - and great sensitivity - but also a fat low note too. Lots of fun to play, and sounds great in any room!

If I need something woody, my other main snare is a DW Jazz Series... This is an early, pre-jazz series badge model that came with my kit... Nice dry, woody sound... records great, and loud!

Attachments

• KEP.JPG
    KEP.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 4,063
  • DW_Jazz.jpg
    DW_Jazz.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 4,068
Here are some of mine... I sold some from the last pic and upgraded!

Attachments

• some snares2.jpg
    some snares2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4,051
  • smitty snare closeup.jpg
    smitty snare closeup.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3,890
  • smitty.jpg
    smitty.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,860
  • Elvin Jones snare Pic.jpg
    Elvin Jones snare Pic.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3,874
  • dw x-shell outside.jpg
    dw x-shell outside.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 3,881
  • dw supersolid bottom.jpg
    dw supersolid bottom.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 3,851
  • dw super solid outside.jpg
    dw super solid outside.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 3,922
  • dw edge outside.jpg
    dw edge outside.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 4,001
  • craviotto in warehouse.jpg
    craviotto in warehouse.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,910
  • craviotto closeup.jpg
    craviotto closeup.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 3,926
I posted these in another thread, but what the heck. These are my Ludwigs. I am starting work on a new contact after being off awhile from work, so I plan to celebrate with a new addition to these soon. Think BB.....a B-Squared of a different variety.

Attachments

• January122013 018 (640x480).jpg
    January122013 018 (640x480).jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 3,814
My stave Padauk snare with a Brazilian Ebony stripe. Got the shell from DaVille Drumworks in Tennessee (great guy, by the way!) and got all the hardware off DrumFactoryDirect. 13x5" with a Coated Ambassador, Clear Controlled Sound, or Coated Vintage Ambassador depending on what I'm playing. Puresound Super 30 too. Amazing snare, fits with everything, insane sensitivity, and really INSANE rimshots.
snare.jpg

Last edited:
I love snare drums. In fact I collect snare drum. I am unsure how many I own. These days it is well above 50. I have taken photos of about 30 or so, which can be viewed through my link. That thread is woefully under photographed. When my conga sets don't feature, well lots more pics need to be taken.

I enjoyed viewing the snares in this thread. BTW, there are more complete snare threads. For any snare fan it may be worth doing a search. Is The good snare thread still active?

Back